• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 60s at Newport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andypops

Hi,

I've seen two class 60s at Newport Alexandra Docks yard. They have been there since Monday morning, on the road next to the small building near the mainline.

They are:
60044 in mainline blue / EWS
60100 in EWS maroon

Both look pretty dejected. They are on a road where a 66 is commonly stabled, and I saw one stopped so close to them tonight that it may actually be preparing to move them.

Does anybody know why they are here? I was on flikr last night, and both were seen at Toton stored out of use in February this year.

I hope they aren't en route to Canton for scrapping...

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
I think they're just moving them from Toton because they need more room there. According to wnxx.com,
60044 and 60100 (both WNTS) have been moved from Toton to Alexandra Dock Junction, Newport for forwarding to St Blazey. 60096 (WNTS) is still at Toton. 60044 and 60100 were initially hauled in convoy from Toton to Doncaster before being inserted into the 6V49 working to get them to Newport.

sprinterguy

Established Member
They are being moved to St Blazey depot in Cornwall for more secure storage. Network Rail need additional siding space at Toton to accomodate the High Output Ballast Cleaner, and some stored 60s were in the way.

They have been tripped from Toton to Rotherham and then to Cardiff, and will now no doubt complete their journey southwards.

No 60s are due for scrapping (None have been sold, despite some of them appearing on a tender list a while back), and 60100 is earmarked a place in the National Collection so that one certainly won't be.

EDIT: Schnellzug got there before me!

Status
Not open for further replies.