• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 66 "half the cost of a 60" claim (1996)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterDistant

I was flicking through an old issue of Rail from 1996 at a second hand bookshop the other day, and saw a claim from the head of EWS (IIRC) saying that he expected the class 66s to come in at half the purchase cost of the 60s! :|

Does anyone know if this actually turned out to be the case, or was he just showboating?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DXMachina

I assume the invoices for the American-built Class 66s were denominated in USD. In 1996 exchange rates were about USD 1.55 / GBP 1.00

By the time of delivery this had improved to about USD 1.65 / GBP 1.00 - making them relatively cheaper to the buyer who was converting Sterling at the time of payment

So he may have been a very astute economic forecaster.... or it could have been either a misquote or some media-friendly codswallop to justify sending work abroad that could have been done domestically

plannerman

I would guess there would be a reduction in purchase price for the sheer volume of locos ordered, as well. It wouldn't be massive, but a huge order allows for bulk purchasing of components etc, savings which could be reflected in the price.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Class 60 was also a brand new locomotive from the ground up, while EMD had a large amount of development work already done on the Class 59 which had already been written off. (and, incidentally had been subsidised by EMD in order to get a foot in the door).

Status
Not open for further replies.