• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 68 Progress, what's the latest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brick60000

2 68s are coming down south! One is going to Wembley Lmd for driver training. This is the path http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R01134/2014/08/01/advanced
Another one is going down to Norwich. I can't find the path for it though.

I may have to go down to my local station for that!!

Two of Chilterns (68010/011) are due to moved from Liverpool Gladstone Dock to Crewe (with 68009) tomorrow. All three should have docked in Liverpool today :p

Does anybody happen to know the path for this? :D

Thanks,
Brick60000

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aylesbury2

I have just seen Direct Rail Services Class 68 'Intrepid' from my Met line train pass by at low speed, for testing I presume, around the Neasden Junction area, a lot of signals are red and the driver of the Chiltern service from AVP plodding around at 20mph didn't look happy!

aylesbury2

I can't believe my luck! I have just seen another new DRS loco parked in the Heathrow Express siding/depot whilst heading towards Heathrow on the Connect!

Jedipickles

I believe this is correct...

57012 + 68009 + 68010 + 68011 - 0Z58 (Liverpool Gladstone Docks to Crewe Gresty Bridge)
68002 + 68004 - 0Z68 (Crewe Gresty Bridge - Wembley)
68004 - 0Z69 (Willesden - Norwich Crown Point)

mpb56125

brick60000

Nice pictures! Does anyone know when these are moving to Birmingham or when they are going on test around the area at all? :D

David Smith

They Have Got to go To Crewe to have Door ,Pushpull,& Jumper cables fitted to be compatible with DVT,s .Not enough time design & to fit the newer stuff fitted to class 68's.Guess it will be eventually !

stibz

Heard one in the flesh pulling a ballast train, that sound good with the CAT engine, much better that some other diesel powered loco's.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Lets hope not!

Purely subjectively, based on listening to the one being being revved up at the DRS open day (not had the pleasure yet of hearing one hauling a train), a 68 noise-wise is probably a bit louder than a class 70.

67s are fairly noisy when wound up too (IMO), so I wouldn't have thought there would be too many complaints (which presumably the reason for the noise tests ?)

Old Hill Bank

Purely subjectively, based on listening to the one being being revved up at the DRS open day (not had the pleasure yet of hearing one hauling a train), a 68 noise-wise is probably a bit louder than a class 70.

67s are fairly noisy when wound up too (IMO), so I wouldn't have thought there would be too many complaints (which presumably the reason for the noise tests ?)

I do have a concern as there are people who live close to Stourbridge LMD have been complaining for sometime about the 67s first thing in the morning. The rail industry needs to work but also needs to be good to it's neighbours.

DownSouth

Established Member
I do have a concern as there are people who live close to Stourbridge LMD have been complaining for sometime about the 67s first thing in the morning. The rail industry needs to work but also needs to be good to it's neighbours.
Isn't the main problem there that they are left idling overnight? I know that operators in Australia generally prefer to leave locos with EMD 16-710 engines idling overnight to save on fuel (a cold start and stabilisation uses the same amount of fuel as about 16 hours worth of idling) and inflict less wear and tear, I imagine it's a similar deal with the 12-710 lump found in a Class 66/67.

If the 4-stroke Caterpillar engines handle being shut down and started up better than an old 710, this should see an improvement.

Sunbird24

Isn't the main problem there that they are left idling overnight? I know that operators in Australia generally prefer to leave locos with EMD 16-710 engines idling overnight to save on fuel (a cold start and stabilisation uses the same amount of fuel as about 16 hours worth of idling) and inflict less wear and tear, I imagine it's a similar deal with the 12-710 lump found in a Class 66/67.

If the 4-stroke Caterpillar engines handle being shut down and started up better than an old 710, this should see an improvement.
I think you will find that they are designed to shut down automatically if left idling for long, even at signal stops, will check up on that aspect.

87019Chris

Speaking to DRS staff the Class 68's are extremely quiet when left idling, the only reason that the 68 on Gresty Bridge was making so much noise was that it was constantly revving up. So for anyone in the Stourbridge area if they are left idling overnight expect a better nights sleep.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I would agree that they are fairly quiet when idling (and they don't have that EMD whistling/'ting' noise, or the rev-up cycling that 66s do when idle).
If that's true, I wonder whether Chiltern will still need the generators in their DVTs once the 67s (very noisy even when idle)
are replaced by 68s.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I suspect the generators are more about reducing fuel costs (allowing the loco to be shut down) than noise, so I assume they will stay.

cossie4i

Don't move next to a Railway then if you don't want to hear trains

Status
Not open for further replies.