• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 68 Progress, what's the latest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosherB

Established Member
Recently some DRS 66s have been receiving a very plain blue livery with relatively small DRS logos/insignia. Is this a possible indication of them not being part of their long term plan? They have after all already let go about 20 of them.

You mean the very smart livery that's a million times better than the original Compass-mish-mash on the 66s?!

They may have let 20 go, but then acquired a further 19, so it's not as if DRS are not committed to Sheds at all. Wiki has a procurement summary, which I've no reason to doubt (on this occasion).

Direct Rail Services (DRS), a subsidiary of British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL). In 2002, DRS ordered ten Class 66/4 locomotives (66 401–410), employed on new Anglo-Scottish traffic, some with Stobart Rail. In 2006, ten more T2 specification units (66 411–420) were delivered, a further ten (66 421–430) in late 2007, and four more (66 431–434) in 2008.
After the first twenty Class 66s operated by DRS were transferred to Freightliner and GBRf, leaving just 14 in their fleet, DRS leased the five former Fastline Freight locomotives

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_66#Direct_Rail_Services

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PYROOGOBBO

I kind of like the bigger livery, it just looks more... wow, specially on something like the 57's

though will say the 68's in scotrail livery just look juicy C: , also i love that i can hear the 68's outside my house and i'm like a 15 min walk from the train station

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
Recently some DRS 66s have been receiving a very plain blue livery with relatively small DRS logos/insignia. Is this a possible indication of them not being part of their long term plan? They have after all already let go about 20 of them.

I'm wondering if it's simply a practical matter - i.e. the full-on compass logo etc. which is on most of the 68s is a faff to put on the corrugated sides of a 66?

Sunbird24

I thought a 68 couldn't be made Stage IIIb compliant because of the small British loading gauge. Perhaps they could if reduced to type 4 power?

Anyway, if more UKLight type locos are ordered, might it be possible to reduce its axle load restriction to RA 5 or less, creating a go-anywhere loco to replace the last 37s? After all, the 68 is lighter than a 37, and I believe the EuroLight has been built with six axles for another country.
Route availability is not based on weight alone but also on track curvature through platforms and other factors.
Adding Co-Co bogies would reduce available space underneath which is already packed.
The new Co-Co is a EuroDual, not a EuroLight, a replacement for the very much larger and heavier Euro 4000, which is nearing the end of its production run. It is way out of gauge for UK use in all respects.

TimboM

Established Member
Can anyone tell me what will be the main role of the 88,s when they enter service.

Good question - we're all wondering what they're for! :lol:

There's a whole other thread on the 88s (current last page here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107049&page=40) which discusses this and many other things about them.

In short to answer saracen43's question, first up I believe will be the Daventry-Mossend Tesco Intermodal.

I'd also expect they should be able to work the nuclear flask trains as their diesel engines (as a double header) shouldn't have too much problem with one or two flask wagons away from the wires.

Logic would suggest they can be used on any (DRS) workings predominantly under the wires (but with the flexibility of "last mile" diesel operation) thus providing a more efficient electric option and thus enabling 68s to be available for workings which need a full-powered diesel loco.

Last edited:

Wonder how much freight DRS will be after to make the new locos pay? Having lost most of the ideal WCML container traffic they use to have that would be logical.

Got to rein back the £29,000/loco/month leasing charge I hear about somehow

Freightmaster

Established Member
Having lost most of the ideal WCML container traffic they use to have that would be logical.
Unfortunately(for DRS), the 88s were ordered well before the loss of the
Daventry to Coatbridge trains to Freightliner, so they will now probably
end up working secondary traffic like departmental services between
Carlisle and Crewe, the Tesco train to Purfleet, and perhaps flask trains
to Torness and Hunterston, all of which can run mostly under the wires.

MARK

TimboM

Established Member
Wonder how much freight DRS will be after to make the new locos pay? Having lost most of the ideal WCML container traffic they use to have that would be logical.

Got to rein back the £29,000/loco/month leasing charge I hear about somehow

Good question - but remember part of that cost will be recouped by replacing older locos in the fleet which will cost more to maintain/repair and run (diesel) etc.

CosherB

Established Member
I do wonder though, if there is any traction in the previous speculation that the rumoured order of ten additional '68s' with Stage IIIB engines would in fact be a new class of loco based on the 68. It would be logical that this could be a 'diet' 68 based within the existing body and using as many of the existing components as possible, but using a smaller diesel engine, rated to say 1600 to 1800 bhp, and include ETS capability (to say 60). These could then replace all DRS Class 37s at a stroke. My doubts would be if it could be made to comply with RA5 .....

Maybe the spiritual successor to the BR Class 38?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Are these three to be the last of the class 68s or are there more being built? 34 locomotives seems a small total for a new build.

It's more than there are 67s or 59s... What do you see DRS doing with more of them?

TimboM

Established Member
Are these three to be the last of the class 68s or are there more being built? 34 locomotives seems a small total for a new build.

Will have been covered earlier on this thread, no doubt - and someone will confirm - but I was of the understanding that no more 68s in their current spec at least could be built due to newer/tougher EU emissions requirements (or such like)?

Might be recalling incorrectly though...?

Karl

On Moderation
It's more than there are 67s or 59s... What do you see DRS doing with more of them?

I was perhaps being a little nostalgic for the days of locomotives in my youth. I'm not that keyed up with today's railways, I lost interest in 1984, and just wondered if there'd be more locomotives built like I used to enjoy in my earlier days. :oops:

I think I'm guilty of comparing from the days of batches of locomotives from the early BR diesel years. 500 Brush 4, 1000 08 shunters, 300 Class 37s, 200 Class 40 s, 50 50s, and all the WCML electrics etc.

It's good to still be able to see locomotives, though not as many as yesterday :(

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I think I'm guilty of comparing from the days of batches of locomotives from the early BR diesel years. 500 Brush 4, 1000 08 shunters, 300 Class 37s, 200 Class 40 s, 50 50s, and all the WCML electrics etc.

It's good to still be able to see locomotives, though not as many as yesterday :(
There are quite a lot of class 66s, and according to Wikipedia more class 60s were built than class 50s. I guess since the rise of multiple units the fleet sizes for passenger-capable locos have decreased (eg. class 67s and 68s) but the dedicated frieght locos (class 66s) haven't as much.

Townsend Hook

There are quite a lot of class 66s, and according to Wikipedia more class 60s were built than class 50s. I guess since the rise of multiple units the fleet sizes for passenger-capable locos have decreased (eg. class 67s and 68s) but the dedicated frieght locos (class 66s) haven't as much.

Twice as many 60s as 50s in fact, 100 vice 50.

Established Member
Any news on the delivery of latest batch? Has the ship docked does anyone know?

TimboM

Established Member
Any news on the delivery of latest batch? Has the ship docked does anyone know?

The ship docked Wednesday evening, expected to be unloaded today. There are two paths in today from Workington to Kingmoor - 0Z84 at 12:17 and 0Z85 at 16:00, but then another on Saturday (which is perhaps the more likely) - 0Z17 which leaves Workington at 17:20 and arrives at Kingmoor after the open day on Saturday.

Possible paths

Today* (unlikely)
0Z84: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R01211/2017/07/21/advanced
0Z85: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R01212/2017/07/21/advanced

Saturday (most likely one)
0Z17: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R01296/2017/07/22/advanced

(*Note the light loco move from Kingmoor to Workington early this morning - presumably whatever was going to tow the locos to Kingmoor - was cancelled, adding further weight to it being Saturday's path.)

Last edited:

ScottDarg

Spoke to one of the guys at DRS at the open day today regarding the three that are due to be delivered. He said that the ship can't dock due to another ship (with unlashed cargo) occupying the spot.

Earliest they'll arrive is Monday according to him.

LBOTG

I'm new here so this probably looks like a pretty daft question to all you experts, but the 1H47 1311 Birmingham Snow Hill to London Marylebone departing on 17th August is apparently booked for a Class 158 on Real Time Trains, but Chiltern don't have any of these units?!

Could anyone tell me if this will be worked by a class 68 as it does say this on the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread? Cheers

Darandio

Established Member
I'm new here so this probably looks like a pretty daft question to all you experts, but the 1H47 1311 Birmingham Snow Hill to London Marylebone departing on 17th August is apparently booked for a Class 158 on Real Time Trains, but Chiltern don't have any of these units?!

Could anyone tell me if this will be worked by a class 68 as it does say this on the Frequently Requested Diagrams thread? Cheers

This thread explains it. http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151748

The Class 158 notification merely represents a timing load.

Status
Not open for further replies.