• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 70 tour coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
At long last, another Class 70 is being advertised to haul a tour - the last one was over two years ago in April 2010. The new trip, on September 15th, is a Pathfinder Eastleigh-Carlisle tour, with the 70 working it north from Crewe over the S&C. I assume the first leg will be a 66 or 67.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GearJammer

I really like the look of this tour and it starts right on my doorstep..... but 5am (would have to be up at 3am) start and 11:10pm finish (mid-night by the time i get back indoors), thats a long long day, and 15th Sep means a lot of it will be in darkness to :(, really can't decide on this one, ive already decided to give the Mazey day train a miss due to the start and finish times :(

Chester025

I really like the look of this tour and it starts right on my doorstep..... but 5am (would have to be up at 3am) start and 11:10pm finish (mid-night by the time i get back indoors), thats a long long day, and 15th Sep means a lot of it will be in darkness to :(, really can't decide on this one, ive already decided to give the Mazey day train a miss due to the start and finish times :(

In my experience of doing tours those times actually aren't that bad and its no real hardship if it's on your doorstep!

theblackwatch

Established Member
In my experience of doing tours those times actually aren't that bad and its no real hardship if it's on your doorstep!

That's what I was thinking - the difficult tours are those which, like the one I did last week, set down at Crewe at 23.25 and then I had a 100 mile drive to get home!

Chester025

That's what I was thinking - the difficult tours are those which, like the one I did last week, set down at Crewe at 23.25 and then I had a 100 mile drive to get home!

Indeed, anyway from my perspective this tour has very sociable timings, 1000 - 1820! :lol:

SussexSpotter

At long last, another Class 70 is being advertised to haul a tour - the last one was over two years ago in April 2010. The new trip, on September 15th, is a Pathfinder Eastleigh-Carlisle tour, with the 70 working it north from Crewe over the S&C. I assume the first leg will be a 66 or 67.

A class 70 as traction on a railtour, couldn't think of anything worse really. Last railtour I went on was 'The Lost Sheep' in 2003, which went around London and the South. It had top 'n' tailed Mainline liveried Class 73 and 37.....amazing tour that was :p

BestWestern

Established Member
A class 70 as traction on a railtour, couldn't think of anything worse really.

Yup, have to agree there. Never mind, when it goes up in a blaze of glory the back-up loco might be something vaguely interesting :D

(More likely to be a dullard Class 66 though I guess :|)

Schnellzug

Established Member
They may be horrendously over-styled, and reliability so far may be on a par with the NBL Warships, but they have the great virtue of sounding pretty kool. However, it's a long way to Crewe, and even further from Carlisle, with what will almost certainly be a Shed, unless they borrow a 47 or 57.

Status
Not open for further replies.