• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 70 Written Off Maybe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Engineer

One word for that I think, SCRAP. I wouldn't trust anything on the undercarrage or anywhere on it until it's been x-rayed and checked for fractures esp the bogies. That has well and truly had it, may as well drop it of at Booth's or EMR.

Nicely summarised!! :D Not just fractures you can detect, but stresses that could cause future fractures.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
Reason there's no broken windows is because there's no structual strength in the cabs, they aren't required to keep the loco together.

As someone who is very interested in engineering, to me that looks an almost certain write of; it's bent in 2 places in different directions and we've not even the cross-twist yet.
Even if it were repairable - and I don't think it will be - I doubt the insurers would be willing to take the risk.

Incidentally, the Beluga Endurance is on its way to Ghent in Belgium to discharge its cargo of grain, and possible receive repairs if a. required and b. they can't be made at sea.

plannerman

I notice the trailer says "Allelys" on it. I seem to remember seeing that wriiten on trailers used to move locos around the country. Could it be the haulage contractor (OK maybe merely the manufacturer of the trailer). Suggests to me this is going by road to elsewhere in the UK and is not a trailer for internal use within the docks.

Allelys are a well-known heavy haulier from the Midlands, one of their specialities is rail vehicle transport. I don't think anything can be read into the fact the loco is loaded on a low-loader, it could be for onward transport, or it could simply be to make it easier to shift it round the docks if necessary. From a haulier's point of view it's a fantastic job, they'll be charging a daily rental for the trailer without having to supply a driver or a truck to go with it (they'll just send one in if the trailer needs moving). Just sit back and watch the cheques roll in.... ;)

mac

just been looking on a truck forum and they have a pic of 70012 on the back of a lorry,they say it was dropped 30 feet back in to the ship

mbonwick

Established Member
From 30ft it would be a hell of a lot more bent, and would probably have punched straight through the ship's keele. 13ft, as has been mentioned in several other places, ties in much better...

Bevan Price

Established Member
My guess is that it will be taken back for "repair", and then return as "70012", but it will incorporate only those components that can be reused, and the remainder will be completely new.

Bevan

Oracle

Established Member
I can imagine that the really valuable/expensive items such as engine/alternator will be removed and re-installed in a newbuild.

The interesting question is who ultimately foots the bill? From my little experience with Admiralty law, there is going to be an almighty argument as to whose liability it was.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If it is a write off and used as a source of spares, I wonder what the numbers will be.

They'll give it the same number and call it a rebuild in the time honoured fashion ( established by pre-grouping companies ) as a way of avoiding having to officially procure a new locomotive...

cawky22

An e mail I got off a Freightliner driver yesterday :-

official FL email says its maybe going for spares as it was dropped in the ship its classed as not being delivered.
And the ship was also badly damaged.

The same guy has a you tube channel search for "exskin"

kyrano

read this

while unloading #70012, the final locomotive, a cable on the ship's crane snapped, dropping the locomotive about 13 feet into the cargo hold of the BELUGA ENDURANCE. Reportedly damage to the unit includes cracked axles, crushed bogies, and a bent frame. There have been no reports as of yet of damage to BELUGA ENDURANCE. It's too early to say what will become of the 700012, but with that damage it seems likely that it will be scrapped and replaced with another unit.

This unfortunate incident has spawned a fan page on Facebook.

http://zeus.fotopic.net/ pics of 70s being loaded

Class37Fan

I have a copy of The Railway Magazine here & one of the headline news articles is about 70012.
I'll get to the facts.

Janurary 5th 2011 MV Beluga Endurance had safley off loaded class 70 locomotives:
70008/ 70009/ 70010 & 70011.
Unfortunatley whilst unloading 70012 one of the Ships Crane Slings ruptured & dropped one end of 70012 15ft onto the pontoon deck, shortly folowed by the other end as the stress in the second sling was too much.

70012 was placed on a Rail Transpoter Trailer provided by Alleys Group, and moved to another part of Newport Docks.

MV Beluga Endurance left Newport Docks on Janurary 8th, for Belgium to unload it's cargo of Grain & then due to a shipyard for repairs to it's Pontoon Docks, 5 of which were damaged.

70012 is being classed as lost in transit, as it never left Newport Docks.
It will be taken back to GE's Eire Plant for full assment.

70009 led the convoy of Loco's leaving Newport Docks on Janurary 11th to Stoke Gifford, only for 70009 to suffer traction motor problems, which saw the move curtailed beyond Newport Station.

70009 returend to the docks whilst the 3 remaing Loco's enterd traffic with Freightliner.

route:oxford

Established Member
One way or another it'll be covered by insurance.

As 70012 was never officially accepted by a UK rail company, then it never truly existed on the TOPS(?) system. So the next 70012 will be the original.

Class37Fan

As 70012 was never officially accepted by a UK rail company, then it never truly existed on the TOPS(?) system. So the next 70012 will be the original.

Aye, because it never officially enterd the UK, as it didn't leave Newport Docks.
Then when the next class 70 arrive in the UK, the likleyhood is that it will be 70012. II (sorry couldny resist it)

joanf

70012 has now been moved from newport dock by road
it was moved tues 26 06 11 at 2000 hours
latest news it has gone to be broken up
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Getting various rumors that 70012 was dropped while it was being lifted out of the ships hold. Also earlier rumors that it was 70010. Now seems the ship will leave Newport with 70012 still inside. If one was dropped then it could be from a significant height I suppose.

Of course it could be that 70012 was either never in the ship (I seem to recall some people already thought that when it was loaded) or maybe its destined for Poland (bit inconvenient for the spotters !).

Can anyone confirm / deny ?, for example a picure of all of them on the quay side at Newport ?.

70012 is not at newpot anymore it was moved yesterday tues 21 06 11

Martin nx

70012 on it's way to Liverpool to be shipped back reportedly on Sat on the Atlantic Concert. Apparently the shipment due on these shores soon will be into Liverpool and will have a "new" 012 plus 013-016 on board. Stands back to be corrected!!!! :D

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Thank christ it wasn't 70013 otherwise peoples would say it was jinxed.;)

70012.jpg

The Crab

Original?

The only original and genuine 70012 was named John of Gaunt.

4SRKT

Established Member
This whole 'class 70' business is most confusing for me. Whenever I see it written down I hopefully think '70 class' (see my avatar), and am then disappointed to find people are talking about the ugliest loco ever built rather than the most handsome unit :(

Juniper Driver

Established Member
This whole 'class 70' business is most confusing for me. Whenever I see it written down I hopefully think '70 class' (see my avatar), and am then disappointed to find people are talking about the ugliest loco ever built rather than the most handsome unit :(

Does it matter what it looks like though?

Just thought i would highlight a link to 70012 at Seaforth.

http://www.wnxx.com/pictures/70012.htm

I read on another forum that the ship, Alantic Concert, has departed Liverpool for Halifax, Canada.

(Seems the rumours that 70013-016 were onboard were unfounded?)

4SRKT

Established Member
It has been used as a test bed to see what happens when you drop a loco from a crane. A very worthwhile test I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.