• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

spark001uk

Established Member
This is easily verified or not: has anyone seen any 701 moving, other than being dragged dead by a locomotive, since the 19th?
I usually manage to catch sight of the 5Q51/52 runs, which had been running quite regularly recently, up to the 18th, then all cancelled since.
There was also a drag booked for 18th from Worksop to Eastleigh, but that was canned due to "a problem with the traction equipment", which if it was stopped for the same reason would've been an honest description. (also possible it was a loco issue of course)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wessexshunter1

Bournemouth TCD and Eastleigh will no longer be carrying out modifications, these will be carried out at Worksop. I can also confirm that units have to be powered down due to an issue, this issue arose on a different Aventura however, not a 701.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Bournemouth TCD and Eastleigh will no longer be carrying out modifications, these will be carried out at Worksop. I can also confirm that units have to be powered down due to an issue, this issue arose on a different Aventura however, not a 701.
The other fleets haven't been stopped so that seems odd.

DanNCL

Established Member
At a guess given that none of the in service Aventra classes have been stood down, if it wasn’t a 701 it was likely a 730, although of course I could be mistaken.

warwickshire

On Moderation
At a guess given that none of the in service Aventra classes have been stood down, if it wasn’t a 701 it was likely a 730, although of course I could be mistaken.
Possible it is a 730. Rail operations group have a VSTP locomotive move to Soho tmd Depot tommorow Tuesday 24th May. However unless it's a 323 to Tyseley wheelathe. But could be a 730.
But let's all find out the actual truth when facts emerge.

Established Member
That would make sense seeing all other classes are still running.

fgwrich

Established Member
Hmm, Good luck to Alstom then if the modifications are to be carried out at Worksop - It may be closer to Derby than Eastleigh and Bournemouth is, but unless Harry's had one installed recently, it doesn't have a 3rd rail in there. Nor does it provide an adequate test track to test the post modified units (whereas at least a modified unit can be sent out on aEastleigh > Basingstoke > Eastleigh test run).

Established Member
Given that 345s are running in service through the centre of London right now I'd say they're not affected.
Most likely detected on a 730?

Hmm, Good luck to Alstom then if the modifications are to be carried out at Worksop - It may be closer to Derby than Eastleigh and Bournemouth is, but unless Harry's had one installed recently, it doesn't have a 3rd rail in there. Nor does it provide an adequate test track to test the post modified units (whereas at least a modified unit can be sent out on aEastleigh > Basingstoke > Eastleigh test run).
Maybe a simple case of replacing a piece of equipment that doesn’t need testing? Also, at Worksop there has been some new large covered buildings built which can fit a 701 inside, so can be worked on undercover.

Last edited:

Juniper Driver

Established Member
This is still the case it hasnt moved and still has the not to be moved on it.
Yup saw it this morning.When they stable them normally they were powered up this one wasn't.
First heard of the problem yesterday but I was unclear what the problem was at the time either it bring capacity issues or capacitor issues.

dgl

Established Member
Going from a post on WNXX Forum it's a case of something not being earthed properly so toucing the convertor case can give you a nice 750V shock. Nasty, and I suppose would have the potential to energise other parts of the train if something manages to connect between the convertor case and something else (the body would be especially bad but I hope that would be earthed.

amazon1675

Wonder when someone/DfT will decide they are a money pit not worth having ? Sims can handle two a day,so they would be gone in a month.Remember the 442 debacle ? Perhaps a frivolous remark,but given the union resistance,various build issues,lack of any driver training and changes in commuter working patterns post Covid...who knows? Should have gone to Siemens.

DennisM

Wonder when someone/DfT will decide they are a money pit not worth having ? Sims can handle two a day,so they would be gone in a month.Remember the 442 debacle ? Perhaps a frivolous remark,but given the union resistance,various build issues,lack of any driver training and changes in commuter working patterns post Covid...who knows? Should have gone to Siemens.
If Alstom hadn’t acquired bombardier I really don’t think these Units would’ve ever been fit for service. They’ll get there but it’s an unenviable job having to take back and fix so many ‘completed’ units.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
If Alstom hadn’t acquired bombardier I really don’t think these Units would’ve ever been fit for service. They’ll get there but it’s an unenviable job having to take back and fix so many ‘completed’ units.

Somewhat ironic considering Alstom's reputation for poor reliability previously on the South Western!

skyhigh

Established Member
Never ever going to happen.

Look at the AnsaldoBreda V250. Originally due to enter service 2007, first unit eventually delivered in 2009, entered service in 2012 and lasted 39 days until they were withdrawn as unsafe. Stored for over 5 years then refurbished and finally entered proper service with another operator.

701s are nowhere near as bad, so suggesting they could be scrapped is crazy.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I can't seem to find those on RTT?
Here they are:

Bigfoot

345003 exploded at Plumstead sidings, Alston have issued an instruction to not not go within 2m at ground level alongside any powered equipment. The brief is for all aventra stock until further notice. It does state that passing at platform height is acceptable.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
345003 exploded at Plumstead sidings, Alston have issued an instruction to not not go within 2m at ground level alongside any powered equipment. The brief is for all aventra stock until further notice. It does state that passing at platform height is acceptable.

Very convenient that platform exception - else the Lizzie line opening would’ve been very different!