• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

On Moderation
8 cars, thus less capacity. They modded the line for 10 car 458 but maybe not enough juice on the rail to take 12 car 450 plus platforms not long enough....
Well aware of that. I was making the point around type of stock, not specific class.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Given 700s had tables put in after complaints has nothing been learnt?

Is it cost or what?

dctraindriver

Well aware of that. I was making the point around type of stock, not specific class.
Well if you’re aware of that why ask? You’re obviously aware that the 458 are the major workhorse on the Readings and they’re going, thus the 701s taking over as the 450s are mainline.......

DennisM

I’d have thought tables would be a no brainier in terms of train presentation. Go on any table-less stock such as 455 anytime after the morning peak and there’s spilled tea & coffee all over the floors as it’s the only place to put a drink, and they inevitably get knocked over or simply forgotten.
Sure tables will accumulate more litter but this can be easily cleaned whereas a spilled drink will be there until the end of the day.

Ethano92

What are the 30 5 car units for? I'm guessing some will be on the Guilford-ascot route but will the 701s reach the Lymington pier or Portsmouth to Southampton lines? I would expect those to continue to use 450s. Will we see quite a few coupled up and used as a 10car suburban line train.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What are the 30 5 car units for? I'm guessing some will be on the Guilford-ascot route but will the 701s reach the Lymington pier or Portsmouth to Southampton lines? I would expect those to continue to use 450s. Will we see quite a few coupled up and used as a 10car suburban line train.
Once they’ve replaced all the 455, 456, 458 and 707 operated services there’ll be non spare to go anywhere else. The numbers of vehicles are almost equivalent give or take a few. (750 vs 742) They’ll be able to run all suburban trains through Wimbledon at 10 car length, which can’t be done now because there aren’t enough 456s. I expect the vast majority will run in multiple as 10 car at least on weekdays.

I doubt you’ll see them on the self contained Guildford/Farnham and Aldershot/Ascot routes at all. Those routes weren’t included in the recent removal of first class in advance of 701s, like Reading was.

Last edited:

On Moderation
I would think of the 5-car Aventras as direct replacements for the 30 Class 707s. The 10-car Aventras then replace all the 455, 456 and 458 fleets. Don’t expect to see them operating regularly outside the operating area of the fleets they replace.

Ethano92

Thanks to both makes sense.

I doubt you’ll see them on the self contained Guildford/Farnham and Aldershot/Ascot routes at all. Those routes weren’t included in the recent removal of first class in advance of 701s, like Reading was.

I thought that route was operated by a pair of 456s which of course don't have first class, that's why I assumed it would be taken over by 701s. Is it now operated by 450s too?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought that route was operated by a pair of 456s which of course don't have first class, that's why I assumed it would be taken over by 701s. Is it now operated by 450s too?
You would have been right, but yes, it was changed back to 450s in Dec 2017, which allowed the 10 x 456s to operate as part of 10 car trains elsewhere as originally planned. At the same time first class was reinstated.

Ethano92

You would have been right, but yes, it was changed back to 450s in Dec 2017, which allowed the 10 x 456s to operate as part of 10 car trains elsewhere as originally planned. At the same time first class was reinstated.
Oh well then I'm very late aren't I. Haven't been on the route since it was changed though. I look at a route like that and wonder why it needs first class but I'm guessing first class fills up at peak from commuters who want a garunteed seat.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Oh well then I'm very late aren't I. Haven't been on the route since it was changed though. I look at a route like that and wonder why it needs first class but I'm guessing first class fills up at peak from commuters who want a garunteed seat.
My theory is that it’s one of a few routes that’s a borderline case, and will get First Class only while the stock they happen to use still has it. This came up in the refurbishment thread a couple of days ago, quite a few people expect a gradual reduction in “First” provision, especially with the Southeastern new franchise precedent which is supposed to be removing it completely.

TEW

Established Member
First Class isn't well used on the route, but the trains are never too busy anyway. Even the busiest peak trains generally have a few seats available.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Five-car 701s can be used on contra-peak/shoulder peak services where a ten-car is overkill. I am sure some will double up on some diagrams during the day but it essentially means they didn't need to purchase as many vehicles if they had an all ten-car fleet to cover all diagrams.

Bessie

Can these be delayed as long as possible? Quite enjoy the new found pleasure of the declassified first section on the 458/5 fleet.

Ethano92

Can these be delayed as long as possible? Quite enjoy the new found pleasure of the declassified first section on the 458/5 fleet.
I doubt they'll be around anytime soon. I think we've been a lot more in the dark about these trains than other aventuras, perhaps because they'll be late.

Anyway, the more you get used to those plush seats, the bigger a surprise those ironing boards will be with no declassified first like on the 700s

Warrior2852

Will there be a mock-up at Waterloo or somewhere else at some point like there was with the 707s?

samuelmorris

Established Member
I doubt they'll be around anytime soon. I think we've been a lot more in the dark about these trains than other aventuras, perhaps because they'll be late.

Anyway, the more you get used to those plush seats, the bigger a surprise those ironing boards will be with no declassified first like on the 700s
Them being late is no longer up for debate. It'll be quite a while yet before you see one in service. As far as I know none have even been assembled yet. The first 720 hasn't appeared out on test yet (to my knowledge) and they were due a few months before the first 701. I imagine you probably have 18 months before 701s start are running more than the odd service here and there.

whhistle

On Moderation
I found this:

Waterloo_Station_AventraGenericLivery_.jpg

Is it new or old?
If new, why would the front end be changed from the other units in the class?

Harbon 1

I found this:

Is it new or old?
I’m sure I read on here it’s something to do with the available platform space at Waterloo.

I’ve seen a cab and they’re pretty similar to that, and have yellow fronts. But the white is dark blue.

hwl

Established Member
I found this:

Is it new or old?
Old - Image is from announcement day before the SWR livery... generic livery

whhistle

On Moderation
Hmm - both have missed the essential question:

"why would the front end be changed from the other units in the class?"

Antman

Established Member
So these look like less seating capacity (about 20% down from a 2x455+456). Yes, you will get toilets, AC that may or may not work, you’ll get WiFi but that is not a problem even now as the commuters who load them up all seem to do perfectly fine.

Who is going to tell the people at say Cobham that they are standing all the way in to Waterloo when these come in? That’ll be yet more people disillusioned with the railways. Even more so (on that route) if they build Burpham station with all the new housing going up. Or is that the gamble, people will just have to use the trains. So they will stand anyway.

These look like a straight swap to suit the franchise and some headline numbers about passenger volumes, not the passengers.

What we really want is capacity, which doesn’t seem possible to get from longer trains or more seats, so has to come from increased intensity of services. Oh, and trains that actually run on time at modern speeds. Over to you, NR.... ah, not great so far....

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So these look like less seating capacity (about 20% down from a 2x455+456). Yes, you will get toilets, AC that may or may not work, you’ll get WiFi but that is not a problem even now as the commuters who load them up all seem to do perfectly fine.

Who is going to tell the people at say Cobham that they are standing all the way in to Waterloo when these come in? That’ll be yet more people disillusioned with the railways. Even more so (on that route) if they build Burpham station with all the new housing going up. Or is that the gamble, people will just have to use the trains. So they will stand anyway.

These look like a straight swap to suit the franchise and some headline numbers about passenger volumes, not the passengers.

What we really want is capacity, which doesn’t seem possible to get from longer trains or more seats, so has to come from increased intensity of services. Oh, and trains that actually run on time at modern speeds. Over to you, NR.... ah, not great so far....
5 car 710 has 269 seats - almost exactly the same number of seats, as a 458/5 (270) and a 707 (271). 10 car 710 has 546 seats
That’s nothing like 20% less than the 455+455+456 combination, which DfT reckon is 591 (238+238+115). More like 8% less - exaggeration doesn’t help the discussion. But as we know, not all the 455/456 services actually operate at full 10 car length, there just aren’t enough 456s (24) for that. You need to factor the 8 car services into a comparison.
As you note apparently people asked for toilets, that alone would take up most of the difference.

Last edited: