• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Warrior2852

I am very happy with how this looks on the outside, I was afraid the yellow would look off (as it did in the previous photo), but it actually complements the train really well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
Build quality still doesn’t look good though compared to what they will replace
It would probably be an impossible challenge to have worse build quality than the 458s. Also BR Southern was most unhappy with the build quality of the 455/8s.

AverageTD

I think most people know they won’t be that good, mainly because they was ordered by a franchise that are known for not being very good. They’ve been ordered because they’re cheaper than the 707s at the cost of quality and for fleet uniformity. Technically you can’t judge a train before it’s built but you can look at who ordered it, who’s building it and what it’s replacing. It’s sort of like the 800s, they’re good trains it’s just they were replacing HSTs. I realise that 707s are not HSTs but they’re a lot better than any aventra I’ve been on.

Last edited:

SWRtrain_fan

It would probably be an impossible challenge to have worse build quality than the 458s.
Agreed, the 458s have about 3 door opening chimes simultaneously, and the announcements are a bit distorted. Which is probably due to the poor build quality as you say.

RealTrains07

Established Member
How can you just say that if you haven't even seen the real interior of the trains yet?
I can say that based on the other aventras that are already built and in service the only difference really between them are the seats, colours, cabs and where they run. Apart from that its really the same. You can tell its not gonna be good.

Hopefully from what i have seen of the seats in Rail they will be the only thing worth of quality in the 701 :lol:

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I can say that based on the other aventras that are already built and in service the only difference really are the seats, colours, cabs and where they run apart from that we already know they wont be good quality
Fair enough if comparing it with existing Aventras, but posting the way you did earlier made it look as though you were judging build quality from that YouTube thing...

RealTrains07

Established Member
Fair enough if comparing it with existing Aventras, but posting the way you did earlier made it look as though you were judging build quality from that YouTube thing...
You could but all trains look like that before construction good quality or not so i agree it would be an inaccurate judgement

Ethano92

Actually, I find the Aventras are gifted with good build quality.
Agreed, software issues aside the ride quality of the 710s I find almost as silky smooth as an original desiro minus the rocking motion, they feel like well built units (well except the doors which like the 345s sound too mechanical for me to trust their reliability)

Not sure whether this is better on the SWR strike thread but it just occurred to me with SWR essentially digging their heels in wanting 'driver open, driver close', there was no mention to the ABDO (automatic brake, door open) which I thought these units would use as far as Surbiton on the mainline, has this been abandoned? I've never really seen it mentioned but it would surely be a part of the discussions if it was going to be implemented. Am I missing something?

DennisM

Not sure whether this is better on the SWR strike thread but it just occurred to me with SWR essentially digging their heels in wanting 'driver open, driver close', there was no mention to the ABDO (automatic brake, door open) which I thought these units would use as far as Surbiton on the mainline, has this been abandoned? I've never really seen it mentioned but it would surely be a part of the discussions if it was going to be implemented. Am I missing something?

If SWR get their way the operation of the train will be none of the concern of the RMT or it’s members, if present on the train at all.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Are they not regular ironing boards?
Saw an add in the Rail magazine featuring a seat with the SWR pattern which wasn’t an ironing board, more like the seats on the 720s

If that counts for anything?

RealTrains07

Established Member
If their is one good thing about the aventra platform in general is the fact that each aventra type unit has a different styled cab. Each TOC has been able to have more say over the design of their aventra train unlike the predecessor electro star

701 looks nice not being an exact clone of the other aventra units

Ethano92

Saw an add in the Rail magazine featuring a seat with the SWR pattern which wasn’t an ironing board, more like the seats on the 720s

If that counts for anything?

Well it would certainly be smart of them. Could avoid lots of backlash for an already unliked TOC. It would make little sense to use the most unliked train seat (without getting into whether ironing boards are that uncomfortable) when an alternative is available. Previous interior renditions have used ironing boards so I doubt they just casually used a different seat for no reason or at least I hope not.

If their is one good thing about the aventra platform in general is the fact that each aventra type unit has a different styled cab. Each TOC has been able to have more say over the design of their aventra train unlike the predecessor electro star

I think that's the leading factor as to why the Aventura platform has been so popular, the customisation options are on another level, when spending so much on new units, why not go to a manufacturer that can customise to exactly what you want.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I believe ABDO and bio toilets were the 701s party pieces, both of these things have been very hush hush.

Elshad

I actually liked the common design of the Electrostars. I like consistency.

Dan15812

Will the 701's have carpet or vinyl flooring. Also will they have armrests and tables like the 387's?
I hope they prove to be a success with passengers. I'm confident that they will be!

Mikey C

Established Member

To me that just creates unnecessary complication a few years down the line when units start getting moved around

aleggatta

To me that just creates unnecessary complication a few years down the line when units start getting moved around
I guess it depends how modular the design is, something simple like switches and dials being moved with a single multi pin connector creating a simple swap out of the drivers desk controls would be relatively straight forward. I'm surprised that Bombardier have moved the cab back wall(IIRC) and shortened the cab for the 701s, and suspect that this would cause more issues for future redeployment if required

Ethano92

Will the 701's have carpet or vinyl flooring. Also will they have armrests and tables like the 387's?
I hope they prove to be a success with passengers. I'm confident that they will be!

They'll likely have vinyl flooring I suspect but carpet would be preferred in walk through trains, it would help sound not travel as far through the train. From what i've seen: no arm rests, seats without spacers in between for a wide aisle (although there will be a space between the wall and window seat so you can fit your arm, a design flaw on the 700s)no tables to help station dwell times and supposedly no seat back tables too?

Either way I'm sure they'll be liked, especially by regular 455 commuters in summer. Aventura air con appears to be more forceful than any other new trains I've been on but that's anecdotal so can't say for certain.

Dan15812

I find people moan less about ironing board seats when they have armrests and tables e.g: the newer Electrostars (387, 377).

On Moderation
Either way I'm sure they'll be liked, especially by regular 455 commuters in summer.
Possibly, but probably detested by passengers on the Reading line which currently has 450s and 458s. In particular they sound like a downgrade from the 458s.

hwl

Established Member
Possibly, but probably detested by passengers on the Reading line which currently has 450s and 458s. In particular they sound like a downgrade from the 458s.
But more usable space than the current 458 interior and will load up far far better.

On Moderation
But more usable space than the current 458 interior and will load up far far better.
As a daily user from the outer end of the Reading line I couldn’t give a stuff about loading better or whatever other “benefits” SWR try to sell. I’m after a comfortable seat and a seat back table - both of which the 458s have and the Aventras seemingly won’t.