• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Mikey C

Established Member
Interestingly enough, Geoff did not mention anything about seat comfort (not even in a positive way!), the Roger Ford fist of quality, or the elbow test.

Slagging off the train (or mentioning how horrendously late the Aventras are) would have been a good way of being thrown off and banned from any such previews again :E

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
In the BBC report there appeared to be 3rd rail but all the shoes looked to be bagged up.
I think the Derby test track is equipped for 25kV ac OLE collection, 750V DC 3rd and 3rd plus 4th rail collection. Look at the pictures, it has all four rails. But testing a dual supply train using OLE (as all new main line EMUs are now buiilt with provision for), makes more sense because:
1) the complete traction supply is tested, (except the shoes and their connecting cables and switchgear)
2) the first mileage accumulation runs are likely to be under OLE north of the Thames
3) running under OLE within a factory environment is far safer than having live exposed conductor rails
That test track was used for the S stock for LU SSLs.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Slagging off the train (or mentioning how horrendously late the Aventras are) would have been a good way of being thrown off and banned from any such previews again :E
That said, it isn't Bombardier's fault what seats were specified, 345s, 720s and 730s clearly demonstrate that is customer's choice.

RealTrains07

Established Member
That said, it isn't Bombardier's fault what seats were specified, 345s, 720s and 730s clearly demonstrate that is customer's choice.
You mean the governments choice. They are the ones that make the specifications for these things right?

hwl

Established Member
You mean the governments choice. They are the ones that make the specifications for these things right?
Only in the 700 and 800/801 cases. The rest is customer choice but they have to meet lots of criteria soon to be even more post RSSB seating project.
With the crash and fire safety rules getting stricter and firms merging there aren't that many choices currently. Everything else is significantly more expensive than the Complin-Fainsa Sophia (was originally a Fainsa product pre merger).
The base cushion choice makes a big difference with this seat family and SWR have gone for a newer /better one than on the 700s.

hwl

Established Member
I think the Derby test track is equipped for 25kV ac OLE collection, 750V DC 3rd and 3rd plus 4th rail collection. Look at the pictures, it has all four rails. But testing a dual supply train using OLE (as all new main line EMUs are now buiilt with provision for), makes more sense because:
1) the complete traction supply is tested, (except the shoes and their connecting cables and switchgear)
2) the first mileage accumulation runs are likely to be under OLE north of the Thames
3) running under OLE within a factory environment is far safer than having live exposed conductor rails
That test track was used for the S stock for LU SSLs.

It will be far easier to do accumulation mileage on AC and quite possibly cheaper when everything (including fault fixing) is taken into account, if it is significantly cheaper then fitting AC gear to all units might make sense.

AlexNL

Established Member
Absolutely, but mentioning positives wouldn't hurt methinks? Surely something like "ooh these seats are nice" or "and I can even rest my elbow on the window sill" wouldn't be frowned upon by the SWR propaganda machine?

hwl

Established Member
Absolutely, but mentioning positives wouldn't hurt methinks? Surely something like "ooh these seats are nice" or "and I can even rest my elbow on the window sill" wouldn't be frowned upon by the SWR propaganda machine?
He did mention how late they were with software being the reason stated.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I imagine he'll do a proper trip test when they enter service.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Shame about the seat back tables

and the hand rails not having 2 parts like the 707s and 230s

another thing is that unlike the refurbished units. The 701s dont have a different flooring near the doorways, was that another feature that needed to be included or not?

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Interesting that they've sent a unit to velim (presumably!) - is old dalby full to bursting with 345/710/720s preventing it's use?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting that they've sent a unit to velim (presumably!) - is old dalby full to bursting with 345/710/720s preventing it's use?
You can’t do continuous high speed on a single end to end track such as Old Dalby. Needs a decent sized loop.

Goldfish62

Established Member

another thing is that unlike the refurbished units. The 701s dont have a different flooring near the doorways, was that another feature that needed to be included or not?
Looking at other trains with the improved ironing boards the single grab handle appears to be standard. In any case, you'd have to know someone extremely well to use the same handle.

Regarding the lighter colour around the doors it's there, just not right across the interior. Again, this is standard to all Aventras so far.

ashkeba

Established Member

I agree about the hand rails but I wouldn't miss a drop down flap of filth. Not having tough flooring by doors also seems like an error.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Looking at other trains with the improved ironing boards the single grab handle appears to be standard. In any case, you'd have to know someone extremely well to use the same handle.

Regarding the lighter colour around the doors it's there, just not right across the interior. Again, this is standard to all Aventras so far.
As far as iam aware, this is the only aventra with the iron board seats.

Do trains have to have a contrasting floor colour at the doors compared the rest of the train?
(have as in required to?)

Goldfish62

Established Member
As far as iam aware, this is the only aventra with the iron board seats.

Do trains have to have a contrasting floor colour at the doors compared the rest of the train?
(have as in required to?)
I'm clearly not getting through here. :) By other trains I was referring to the 385s, 195s and 331s, which all have the improved ironing boards. I didn't say other Aventras did.

The floor is contrasting around the doors.

Domh245

Established Member
You can’t do continuous high speed on a single end to end track such as Old Dalby. Needs a decent sized loop.

Good point. That does raise the question though of why only a 710 and a 701 have made it to Velim for testing (as well as Valenciennes in the case of the 710s) - did a 345 and 720 also escape to the continent for high speed testing without anybody reporting it?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Good point. That does raise the question though of why only a 710 and a 701 have made it to Velim for testing (as well as Valenciennes in the case of the 710s) - did a 345 and 720 also escape to the continent for high speed testing without anybody reporting it?
A 720 was definitely tested at 110mph I remember seeing it reported, but I don't recall where.

Domh245

Established Member

RealTrains07

Established Member
I'm clearly not getting through here. :) By other trains I was referring to the 385s, 195s and 331s, which all have the improved ironing boards. I didn't say other Aventras did.

The floor is contrasting around the doors.
Yes but are trains required to have that?