• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Mikey C

Established Member
Basically they've achieved the extra width while maintaining the DfT specified minimum gangway width by missing out the small seat spacer. Obviously something had to give.

I wonder how the seats compare for width with the Grammer seats in the 450s,which also have no spacers and are rammed up against the wall (plus intrusive heater ducting).

In which case it's the DfT's fault for their ridiculous gangway width specification.

The 701 seats remind me of British Airways saying they would, after passenger complaints, fit wider seats on their latest Boeing 787s, when in reality what they were doing was fitting wider seats and narrower armrests, so there was no more actual room

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Isn't there a notional formula for standing, something like 4 per square metre, (or about 7 in squash them in, sardine mode when service is disrupted)...
Yes, there is a requirement for 4 per sq m standing in the 701s. The 707s and converted SWT 455s were also intended to be classed as 4 per sq m, but DfT had re-assessed them as not suitable for that by the time the franchise ITT was issued, which is almost certainly the main reason the 707s are being replaced.

hwl

Established Member
In which case it's the DfT's fault for their ridiculous gangway width specification.

The 701 seats remind me of British Airways saying they would, after passenger complaints, fit wider seats on their latest Boeing 787s, when in reality what they were doing was fitting wider seats and narrower armrests, so there was no more actual room
It isn't ridiculous it really helps with both standing capacity and dwell times. One key reason is you can operate more services with the same amount of stock (The RMT not picking up on SWR recent messages on this). As passenger loadings have increased dwell time have gone up substantially and this needs to be addressed else the number of services through the busiest points would have to be reduced (e.g. Vauxhall in the morning peak is the limiting factor on SWML stoppers.)

hwl

Established Member
Yes, there is a requirement for 4 per sq m standing in the 701s. The 707s and converted SWT 455s were also intended to be classed as 4 per sq m, but DfT had re-assessed them as not suitable for that by the time the franchise ITT was issued, which is almost certainly the main reason the 707s are being replaced.
They then realised that you needed to be able to hold on at 4pax/sqm and also move around at stations to let people off or the dwell times increase.

hwl

Established Member
Basically they've achieved the extra width while maintaining the DfT specified minimum gangway width by missing out the small seat spacer. Obviously something had to give.

I wonder how the seats compare for width with the Grammer seats in the 450s,which also have no spacers and are rammed up against the wall (plus intrusive heater ducting).
At least Aventra have the underfloor heating option so not need for intrustuive duct for heating.

Mikey C

Established Member
It isn't ridiculous it really helps with both standing capacity and dwell times. One key reason is you can operate more services with the same amount of stock (The RMT not picking up on SWR recent messages on this). As passenger loadings have increased dwell time have gone up substantially and this needs to be addressed else the number of services through the busiest points would have to be reduced (e.g. Vauxhall in the morning peak is the limiting factor on SWML stoppers.)

But all that happens is that the sitting passengers sprawl into the aisle space. You can make seats narrower but humans don't get narrower, so end up taking the same amount of space up, but in less comfort. This is especially bad in winter when people have thicker clothes on.

I was on a rush hour 700 the other day and it was really uncomfortable as the normal sized male in the window seat (through no fault of his own) was partially in my seat while a significant part of me was in the aisle, taking up the alleged extra space for standing capacity.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I was on a rush hour 700 the other day and it was really uncomfortable as the normal sized male in the window seat (through no fault of his own) was partially in my seat while a significant parted of me was in the aisle, taking up the alleged extra space for standing capacity.

It's like unachievable timetables (the classic being Wrexham Central, where trains are scheduled to arrive AFTER the same unit has departed back up the branch) - they tick a box while actually achieving nothing other than meaningless stats.

TEW

Established Member
Yes, it all adds up doesn't it...
In theory at least, and SWR are certainly reliant on it all coming in to place. A lot of effort has clearly gone in to the 701 project but I worry that whilst it all looks great on paper, it may not be quite as successful as hoped in real life.

Ethano92

Acceleration has been quoted for the 701s at 0.7m/s^2 in this Month's modern railways. As far as I'm aware the 707s are rated at 0.85m/s^s and I thought these were considered underpowered compared to other desiros, are they underpowered in another sense? This puts 701s acceleration roughly in line with electrostars, with the 377s reaching 0.67m/s^2 from what I can see which is good. Can't compare to overhead units at least, couldn't expect 345 or 80x levels of acceleration.

The wording of the article also suggests a 10car will have 2 accessible toilets rather than 1 accessible and 1 regular, if this is the case I suppose it will help reduce the differences between a 10 car or a 2x5 car formation.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Acceleration has been quoted for the 701s at 0.7m/s^2 in this Month's modern railways. As far as I'm aware the 707s are rated at 0.85m/s^s and I thought these were considered underpowered compared to other units, are they underpowered in another sense? This puts 701s acceleration roughly in line with electrostars, with the 377s reaching 0.67m/s^2 from what I can see which is good. Can't compare to overhead units at least, couldn't expect 345 or 80x levels of acceleration.

The wording of the article also suggests a 10car will have 2 accessible toilets rather than 1 accessible and 1 regular, if this is the case I suppose it will help reduce the differences between a 10 car or a 2x5 car formation.
The 707s are certainly the fastest accelerating third rail units I've been on. I wonder what they'd be like if they weren't "underpowered"!

RealTrains07

Established Member
Acceleration has been quoted for the 701s at 0.7m/s^2 in this Month's modern railways. As far as I'm aware the 707s are rated at 0.85m/s^s and I thought these were considered underpowered compared to other units, are they underpowered in another sense? This puts 701s acceleration roughly in line with electrostars, with the 377s reaching 0.67m/s^2 from what I can see which is good. Can't compare to overhead units at least, couldn't expect 345 or 80x levels of acceleration.

Well it would have been just as difficult to compare a 707 to a 345 on overhead right? Considering both 701 and 707 wont ever operate in passenger service that way?

How does a 701 in terms of acceleration compare to the acceleration of a 458?

Toilet wise, the 701 is a definite improvement

pompeyfan

Established Member
Are the 707s restricted in the same way that 444 and 450s only deliver about 75%?

pompeyfan

Established Member
In what aspect?

Baring in mind the 701 is very similar to the 707 here

the classic desiros are programmed to only draw 75% power, even if the driver opens up the PBC fully. My question is are the 707s similarly programmed to only draw 75%?

Bigfoot

the classic desiros are programmed to only draw 75% power, even if the driver opens up the PBC fully. My question is are the 707s similarly programmed to only draw 75%?
Lucky if you get 55% in most 450s. The 444s around the 75% mark now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Well it would have been just as difficult to compare a 707 to a 345 on overhead right? Considering both 701 and 707 wont ever operate in passenger service that way?

How does a 701 in terms of acceleration compare to the acceleration of a 458?

Toilet wise, the 701 is a definite improvement
The acceleration of a 458 is dismal, probably worse than a 455, so I certainly expect the 701s will be significantly better.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Lucky if you get 55% in most 450s. The 444s around the 75% mark now.

that surprises me as even recently the needle in rear cab of the leading unit shows it’s pulling a fair bit more than that.

quite a few cases of recently of 444s being up-rated and drivers speeding as they’re driving to their shut off points, not the dials in front of them.

Bigfoot

that surprises me as even recently the needle in rear cab of the leading unit shows it’s pulling a fair bit more than that.

quite a few cases of recently of 444s being up-rated and drivers speeding as they’re driving to their shut off points, not the dials in front of them.

Pulling at 100% as it first moves yes, but after a few seconds it soon dials back, even with the controller wide open.

Last edited:

Helvellyn

Established Member
That would make sense if you think about it. It has already been mentioned that the 'flatter' cabs are to ensure that door positions are in the same place for 2 x 5-car 701 as 1 x 10-car 701. As each 5-car will have an accessible toilet fitting two in the 10-car ensures that the accessible spaces are going to be in the same place whether it's 2 x 5-car 701 or 1 x 10-car, which makes it easier for passengers and staff to know where to locate themselves.

The 700s can get away one accessible toilet because on an 8-car and a 12-car it can always be found in the middle of the train - the use of different stop car marks ensure this. But with some SWR services going to be operating as pairs of 5-car units ensuring they can mimic a 10-car unit in terms of where the accessible toilet/wheelchair areas will be is sensible.

KC1

Never believe what WorstGroup tell you. There is always going to be some “clever” trick to make it worse. Perhaps the extra standing space is so they can cram more people on when the guards are on strike?

This sounds like a substantial downgrade on the 458s.

Why don’t you wait until the trains are delivered and you’ve actually sat down on a seat before you start moaning.

You might want to hilariously label ‘WorstGroup’ but I can assure you other trains companies fair far ‘worse’, ie, GA, GTR etc.

RealTrains07

Established Member
The acceleration of a 458 is dismal, probably worse than a 455, so I certainly expect the 701s will be significantly better.
I thought as much. Plus considering as I think was mentioned earlier in the thread, they will start work on the reading lines first which should be interesting considering they are mainly 458 operated as far as I know?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Why don’t you wait until the trains are delivered and you’ve actually sat down on a seat before you start moaning.

You might want to hilariously label ‘WorstGroup’ but I can assure you other trains companies fair far ‘worse’, ie, GA, GTR etc.
As someone that's used SWR and GA a fair amount each, I would disagree with you there, but that's outside the scope of this thread. No TOC is a saint, but reacting to the labels some attach to them won't ever achieve anything. You won't change the mind of someone who's been offput by too many bad experiences from a particular operator!

Even after de-rating to 75? that seems odd.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Even after de-rating to 75? that seems odd.
If anything, since they've been extended and now have two trailer coaches to drag around I'm sure they're worse than before.

I believe that the de-rating was to prevent overheating of the traction equipment, not to improve low speed gearing.

samuelmorris

Established Member
If anything, since they've been extended and now have two trailer coaches to drag around I'm sure they're worse than before.

I believe that the de-rating was to prevent overheating of the traction equipment, not to improve low speed gearing.
A bit off-topic here but the extra vehicles were motored? I'm aware they were derated to reduce overheating issues, but you would have thought that would have resulted in at least some acceleration improvement. Perhaps the overheating issue was so severe (or degradation discovered during the refurbishment process) that they are now derated in maximum power output to prolong their lifespan.

On Moderation
A bit off-topic here but the extra vehicles were motored? I'm aware they were derated to reduce overheating issues, but you would have thought that would have resulted in at least some acceleration improvement. Perhaps the overheating issue was so severe (or degradation discovered during the refurbishment process) that they are now derated in maximum power output to prolong their lifespan.
All the extra vehicles were trailers regardless of what they were in a 460 set - some motor cars were de-motored as a result.

The ratings of the motors were increased ISTR. When built they were set up to be current draw limited running as 12-car sets, so motors ran at about 2/3 their rating (which allowed redundancy, so losing power from a motor bogie meant the power was cranked up on the other two to compensate). As they are not going to run as 15-cars, the motors were run at higher rating after conversion.

There was an excellent article on the 458/5 project in Modern Railways by Ian Walmsley when it was first started.

hwl

Established Member
The extra vehicles were all trailers - there wasn't enough traction gear to have motors on all the 5th cars and they wanted a uniform fleet.
They were re-geared from 90 max to 75max (Windsor line max speed) which meant better cooling from the shaft mounted fan at all actual operating speeds as the motor is turning faster at any given train speed now.

As 43096 mentions the 5th car programme effectively removed the redundancy in the traction gear which was a major reason for the high MTIN as 4 car once sorted out initially which then fell post conversion to 5 car. Ian W was of course the person at the ROSCO specifying the 458s...

Back on topic - the usefulness of some traction equipment redundancy on the 458 was noted by both Bombardier and Siemens (but more limited for the 707s) for Aventra and Desiro City

samuelmorris

Established Member
Time to go correct wikipedia methinks :P - I know not to read everything there as absolute truth, but I could have sworn I read elsewhere the additional vehicles were powered. Oh well!

hwl

Established Member
Time to go correct wikipedia methinks :P - I know not to read everything there as absolute truth, but I could have sworn I read elsewhere the additional vehicles were powered. Oh well!
A quick bit of fact checking by me:
Gearing was originally fo 100mph but units limited to 90mph hence a bit of confusion on the 90/100mph gearing front.

Originally the 458 pantograph well car was a trailer and the other 3 vehicles were motored with the software limiting current draw to 49% (less than 444/450 limiting due to more motors installed). However Wikipedia states only the driving cars as motored pre conversion which isn't correct - hence the confusion.

Last edited: