• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Out of interest what happens if a pax is in a toilet with electric doors during a reboot?
Don't quote me on it, but I think the accessible toilet door still has power during a reboot. As does the toilet lighting, one would hope!

Can anyone help with which 701 unit is on 6X24 Derby to Eastleigh Depot 147 late start with 66752/66755 please ?

AverageTD

Saw some pictures of 004 and 008 in a siding somewhere and noticed the brown wheels, I take it that it's not rusted already as that's quite and aesthetic choice 1610113897607.png

fgwrich

Established Member
Saw some pictures of 004 and 008 in a siding somewhere and noticed the brown wheels, I take it that it's not rusted already as that's quite and aesthetic choice View attachment 88354

That is only surface rust on the brake pads and will easily clean off with use. It's quite a common thing with large brake disk's like this to start rusting after short periods of no use.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Indeed. My car discs are the same if I drive it in the rain and then not again for more than a few days.

spark001uk

Established Member
I see the cascade has started to allow room for the new fleet, 707003/4 debranded and gone to SE, another pair scheduled in for next Sat.
Are we soon to see 701s delivered to Feltham / Wimbledon then (aside from ones already there)? I assume they must be running out of space at Eastleigh by now.

RealTrains07

Established Member
I see the cascade has started to allow room for the new fleet, 707003/4 debranded and gone to SE, another pair scheduled in for next Sat.
Are we soon to see 701s delivered to Feltham / Wimbledon then (aside from ones already there)? I assume they must be running out of space at Eastleigh by now.
Whats the capacity like at eastleigh? How many units can be stabled at once?

GW43125

Established Member
With the 707s going off lease, are we likely to see a 701 service any time soon? Stock availability is nothing short of dire currently, with shortforms all over the shop on the Reading/Windsor lines.

spark001uk

Established Member
With the 707s going off lease, are we likely to see a 701 service any time soon? Stock availability is nothing short of dire currently, with shortforms all over the shop on the Reading/Windsor lines.
By the looks of RTT more or less the whole SWR timetable has been put on week-by-week STP schedules, so my guess is this is the precursor to gradually thinning out the service again, as per government's latest announcements.
This will open up opportunity to transfer the 707s to SE. The hope then being that they have all the testing/training done and 701s ready to roll out by the time restrictions are lifted.

Either that or just a few 707s are going over initially for training purposes.

TEW

Established Member
No. Training hasn't started. All practical driver training is currently suspended on SWR too.

AverageTD

By the looks of RTT more or less the whole SWR timetable has been put on week-by-week STP schedules, so my guess is this is the precursor to gradually thinning out the service again, as per government's latest announcements.
This will open up opportunity to transfer the 707s to SE. The hope then being that they have all the testing/training done and 701s ready to roll out by the time restrictions are lifted.

The 707s that have gone over for training only, no ETA on when the lot is going over but SWR have definitely reduced their usage since December.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The 707s that have gone over for training only, no ETA on when the lot is going over but SWR have definitely reduced their usage since December.

Not just for training and all units have dates confirmed.

Goldfish62

Established Member

The revised timetables starting on Monday are on the SWR website.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Oh wow, have you got the dates for the lot?
The next 6 at least are shown in the 707 to Southeastern thread:
...which is probably a far better place to discuss the actual 707 moves?

spark001uk

Established Member
The revised timetables starting on Monday are on the SWR website.
Which is an absolute joke. Swr has published timetables, which seem in places to be at odds with their own journey planner. You couldn't make it up.

Domh245

Established Member
Given the rapidly disappearing 707s, I guess that means the 458s have had somewhat of another stay of execution

On Moderation
Given the rapidly disappearing 707s, I guess that means the 458s have had somewhat of another stay of execution
That’s one bit of good news as they are by far the best of the suburban units.

spark001uk

Established Member
That’s one bit of good news as they are by far the best of the suburban units.
One of swr's mantras was always that they would strive to provide all toileted trains even in the suburban areas, of which the 458s are currently the only ones (plus 450s drafted in to cover). They are (458) somewhat unreliable toilets, but at least they're there.

TEW

Established Member
What are the discrepancies?
A number of routes were being advertised as half hourly services, but are in fact only running hourly. Alton, Basingstoke stoppers, Hounslow Loop, Shepperton, Weybridge via Hounslow.