• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

spark001uk

Established Member
Looks like 002 made it to Basingstoke early this morning, anyone confirm? That would make it its first lone operation outside a possession.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
I expect so. Plenty of precedents for units running round part fitted at this stage of proceedings though?
Yes, 458s 8001 and 8002 arrived with no seats, as well as being white with red cabs. It was quite a while before they returned to Washward Heath for fitting out and painting.

spark001uk

Established Member
Anyone know where 002 went after Basingstoke this morning? It vanished off the system there.

Bigfoot

Expect some press activities regarding the delivery of the 701 stock into Wimbledon today. Mark Hopwood is making an appearance at the park.

WWTownEnth

Are these deliveries likely to develop a rough frequency to them from now onwards?

As I understand it, all units are supposed to be in service by autumn 2021. That would imply more than one unit a week being delivered from sometime soon.......

hwl

Established Member
I expect so. Plenty of precedents for units running round part fitted at this stage of proceedings though?
Easier to do the ride height calibration stuff with sand bags if there aren't seats in there. (Only needs to be done once on an early unit.)

traji00

Arrived in No.10 road at Wimbledon TCD.
Some personnel look to be in attendance.

(at time of writing, locos + barrier vehicles obscure the view from a passing train.)

Last edited:

spark001uk

Established Member
Here's my little contribution to today's proceedings, in 4K. Looking very smart.

WWTownEnth

Are these deliveries likely to develop a rough frequency to them from now onwards?

As I understand it, all units are supposed to be in service by autumn 2021. That would imply more than one unit a week being delivered from sometime soon.......

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Unlikely just yet, if the Anglia experience is anything to go by.

Goldfish62

Established Member

1-2 units per week was the pre-Covid plan.

Railperf

Established Member
Best estimates are another 2-3 months before a 720 enters passenger service on Anglia - that will be 8- yes eight months after the first unit was delivered to Ilford.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Best estimates are another 2-3 months before a 720 enters passenger service on Anglia - that will be 8- yes eight months after the first unit was delivered to Ilford.
Under the circumstances, that doesn't seem that bad - it's more that it's 18 months after they were supposed to enter service that's the disappointment!

Railperf

Established Member
Under the circumstances, that doesn't seem that bad - it's more that it's 18 months after they were supposed to enter service that's the disappointment!
True, but at least GEML commuters have trains to ride. Poor GOBLIN users had several months of no service and bustitutions because there were no trains at all - after they were sent away.
Similarly Anglia regional users had several months of cancellations as the 755's were trying to come on stream and the older DMU's being cascaded away.
The sooner the 720's come on stream - the better - but the delay isn't too big an issue. Slight disappointment - nothing more.

hwl

Established Member
Pre-Covid the build rate would have seen 2x 10 car units delivered every 6th week with 1 in other weeks. 5car build rate a bit slower with the extra cab.
All slowed down a bit with Covid so production will be slower till at least September.