• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I reckon that's just a little treat for the enthusiast filming. Shock horror- some drivers like (in general) enthusiasts

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pompeyfan

Established Member
They have depot whistles to be more considerate to their neighbours. They also have a depot whistle on coaches 5 and 6 by all accounts.

pompeyfan

Established Member
What was the problem for several 701s to not run to their schedule, or at all?

Track circuit failure took out platforms 1-3 at Waterloo, as there’s currently oppos on 701 stock in places, I can only assume NR took the decision the pull the plug to aid service recovery

spark001uk

Established Member
Just saw it now, moving very quickly up from Surbiton. Didnt see the unit.
That'll be 701002, working 5Q30 0911 ELGHTMD - WATRLMN
It was booked into 16 at WAT, suggesting a rounder next, but it looks like it's doing a Dorking now.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, it's a Dorking run.

701 002 is working back to Waterloo now. My impressions when it passed my garden on the way down are that the noise levels are about a quarter of that of the 455s; I was right at the bottom of the garden then so only feet away from it, but of course it would not have been under power in that direction. Certainly the running gear itself is a lot quieter.

I'll test again how much I can hear of it from my study when it comes back in a few minutes.

It's then doing another Dorking run at 13.47:

Edited to add:

Well, it's just come past on the way back up. The motor noise is similar in intensity to that of a single class 455, meaning the overall level is noticeably lower and the running gear noise is definitely much lower than that of the 455s.

It also appears to have picked up a minor wheelflat at the London end...

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Yes, it's a Dorking run.

701 002 is working back to Waterloo now. My impressions when it passed my garden on the way down are that the noise levels are about a quarter of that of the 455s; I was right at the bottom of the garden then so only feet away from it, but of course it would not have been under power in that direction. Certainly the running gear itself is a lot quieter.

I'll test again how much I can hear of it from my study when it comes back in a few minutes.

It's then doing another Dorking run at 13.47:

Edited to add:

Well, it's just come past on the way back up. The motor noise is similar in intensity to that of a single class 455, meaning the overall level is noticeably lower and the running gear noise is definitely much lower than that of the 455s.

It also appears to have picked up a minor wheelflat at the London end...
It was delivered with that wheelflat, assuming it's the same one.

traji00

At London Waterloo, Platform 14:

Attachments

• 5006AEE0-F643-47CF-8F5E-4EBD5F65C6B2.jpeg
    5006AEE0-F643-47CF-8F5E-4EBD5F65C6B2.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 86

spark001uk

Established Member
Just checked my delivery footage of 002, couldn't hear a flat at that time. Possible it's picked it up since then.
Note 002 still the only unit so far delivered wearing the lower cab valance, albeit only at one end (currently country end today).

Goldfish62

Established Member
Just checked my delivery footage of 002, couldn't hear a flat at that time. Possible it's picked it up since then.
Note 002 still the only unit so far delivered wearing the lower cab valance, albeit only at one end (currently country end today).
There was a flat at Virginia Water on its delivery run. Others picked it up at the time as well.

spark001uk

Established Member
Oh OK, must have been then. Was difficult to hear it whilst attached to the barriers etc.
Currently running 7L at Epsom now on its second Dorking.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On time on the way back through Epsom a few minutes ago, and then it's returning to base:

Regarding the flat, I'm fairly sure from the sound that it's at the inner end of the second vehicle, rather than the driving vehicle.

Having now observed four passes, one in each direction each from the end of the garden and up in the study, I can say for sure that 701 002 is extremely quiet compared to a 455.

EAD

I had hoped to look over as it went through EAD a short while ago (have line of sight from the top of the house), but with typical timing the phone rang just as it was due. Will try and catch it as it heads back to bed instead.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Are there any further tests planned for the routes through Epsom ( presumably they'll have to test via Bookham at some point )?

Two other residents in my road have agreed with me that the 701 is much quieter than the existing fleet.

spark001uk

Established Member
I can't see anything in the system for this week or next going that way, but that's not to say they won't throw something in.
Tomorrow looks to be the turn of a couple of the Hounslow "rounder" trips, then going back home via Richmond/Staines way.

Presumably at the moment being under GBRf control these are just preliminary runs to check platforming / ASDO etc, and swr training/route learning will come at a later date?

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I can't see anything in the system for this week or next going that way, but that's not to say they won't throw something in.
Tomorrow looks to be the turn of a couple of the Hounslow "rounder" trips, then going back home via Richmond/Staines way.

Presumably at the moment being under GBRf control these are just preliminary runs to check platforming / ASDO etc, and swr training/route learning will come at a later date?
Reading must be on the agenda soon given that's where they're going to enter services first. :)

TrainTube

Reading must be on the agenda soon given that's where they're going to enter services first. :)
I thought they were gonna replace 707s first so they can be moved to Southeastern.
707s are mainly on Windsors, hounslow loops and Sheppertons.

supervc-10

My understanding was that whilst the 701s were going to start on Reading, the first vehicles to be replaced in the fleet would be the 707s, and that everything would just get shuffled around a bit whilst that was happening?

spark001uk

Established Member
One would like to think they were thinking of the pax sweating in the 455s and concentrate on those first, or maybe putting them on the Reading first will allow 458s to displace 455s. But it's entirely likely they're not thinking like that either.

TrainTube

One would like to think they were thinking of the pax sweating in the 455s and concentrate on those first, or maybe putting them on the Reading first will allow 458s to displace 455s. But it's entirely likely they're not thinking like that either.
Its First, so they care about saving money hence why the 707s are going.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Having heard one up close, the traction motors actually sound quite similar to the Desiro fleet.

Kieran1990

Think we’ll see 701’s on the Reading’s allowing 458’s to go back on the Windsor’s to replace the 707’s and they may end up on the SWML locals but not all depots that work the SWML sign the 458’s I believe

Mikey C

Established Member
Summer will be long gone before the 701s arrive in numbers

Unless you're referring to summer 2021 :D

Warrior2852

Think we’ll see 701’s on the Reading’s allowing 458’s to go back on the Windsor’s to replace the 707’s and they may end up on the SWML locals but not all depots that work the SWML sign the 458’s I believe
Would SWR want to attempt a diagram change this complex as they introduce the 701s, as opposed to leaving existing units more or less where they are and replacing them that way?