Class 710 LO

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by AlanFry1, 23 Apr 2017.

1. plcd1

plcd1 Member

And it appears to be the case that driver training has picked up recently anyway. The Willesden - Barking paths have been used much more over the last week or so. All four return paths were used today for example. Given the sparse public service there may be scope, units and drivers permitting, to run more training paths on the GOBLIN. We shall see what happens.

2. plcd1

plcd1 Member

Eh? They've had to assess the test and technical evidence that Bombardier have submitted. I think 5 weeks turnround is pretty decent to be honest. The fact Bombardier have taken 15 months longer than expected to get to this point does not require the regulator to run about as if their pants are on fire.

3. Grumpy

Grumpy Member

The fact that manufacturers would be seeking clearance for their new units wouldn't be a surprise to ORR. They have known this class was coming for years. Surely ORR and the manufacturers have an ongoing dialogue throughout the design and development of new units with ORR's requirements clearly laid out. There should be an ongoing trickle of information to ORR throughout the testing phase as each requirement is met, with the communication on 4 March being just the last piece of the jigsaw-not the entire box to be started from the beginning.
    Irrespective of the time taken by Bombardier to reach this point, then I would hope that the regulator would give the impression that he, as a public servant, had been running around as if his pants were on fire if only for the benefit of the poor tax paying users of Goblin.

4. Roast Veg

Roast Veg Member

This is not how projects are delivered. Even if each system is physically installed with ample time to spare (one would hope), the associated software may be dependent on many other aspects and must be signed off altogether. What's the point of getting the ORR down to look at a few nuts and bolts when the train hasn't even met internal requirements?

5. Brissle Girl

Brissle Girl Member

I would have thought after the recent concern about the cosiness between the safety regulator and Boeing there would be no appetite within the ORR to do anything other than go through the proper process in a thorough and independent manner. As it should be of course.

6. samuelmorris

samuelmorris Established Member

For all the processes on modern stock to be assessed, 5 weeks to verify that they are all satisfactory, or what remedial work needs to be taken, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

7. Trailfinder

Trailfinder Member

They should sit in the stock while they carry out their assessment, perhaps they would then carry it out quicker.

8. PizzaKing52

PizzaKing52 New Member

When and where is the best time to see a Class 710 train on testing?

9. twpsaesneg

twpsaesneg Member

Unless there is a magic box of highly skilled rolling stock assurance engineers that the ORR can open in times of emergency, I'd suggest that there's not much the ORR can do to expedite the process. Unless of course you expect their staff to work overtime and weekends because Bombardier have dropped the ball?

10. plcd1

plcd1 Member

They now appear to be running several times a day between Willesden Junction low level bay platform and Barking. M-F there are 4 return paths at roughly 3 hour intervals and it now looks as if all 4 are being used. Previously they rarely did more than 2 return trips. On realtimetrains.com (RTT) look for train IDs 3Z01/02/03/04/05/06/07/08 if you search at a station on the GOBLIN. I use Blackhorse Rd but only because it's nearby. I am assuming it is the same unit that goes back and forth but I haven't been out to look recently. There is usually a Thunderbird loco running behind the 710.

There are also paths at weekends (same codes) but the use of those has been a little more variable. I assume that's down to the number of drivers available at weekends.

The overnight mileage paths between Wembley and Milton Keynes weren't used much last week but a train was out last night according to RTT.

11. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

Does that have a path booked, or will the signaller just manually input 9Z01 etc? There seems to be nothing in RTT today.

12. gc1982

gc1982 Member

If this still required, now that they have been approved?

13. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

14. plcd1

plcd1 Member

It certainly has had in the past. Paths weren't there today for some reason but it did run. I've no real idea how paths, esp late notice or temporary ones, are put into systems. If nothing else being able to watch trains whizzing about on online signal diagrams helps me appreciate the skill that signallers have in keeping things moving and coping with trains running out of their normal slots.

All 4 return trips ran today for the 710s so it looks like a more concerted effort is being made.

15. ijmad

ijmad Established Member

@RidingTheGoblin on twitter saying that the coupling issue needs to be ironed out before passenger service, due to the possibility of chaos if one fails and can't be rescued.

16. reddragon

reddragon Member

Rail 877 states that they have been cleared for entry into traffic on April 11 subject to 13 conditions!

17. 87015

87015 Established Member

As usual, this is completely made up.

18. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

April the 11th? That was 15 days ago!

19. 87015

87015 Established Member

ORR passenger cert, sure it was on here at the time.

20. hwl

hwl Established Member

They obviously didn't read the ORR letter - emergency unit mechanical coupling is fine...

The entry into service plan appears to be getting all the drivers trained up first (not copying GTR thinking!) then starting the 710 in service hence looking like end of May /early June.
    Presumably another software drop in that time too.

21. ijmad

ijmad Established Member

I figured as much. :E

22. superjohn

superjohn Member

Last edited: 1 May 2019
  23. delticdave

delticdave Member

Westbound surely?

24. superjohn

superjohn Member

Yep, my mistake. I was heading eastbound bound at the time!

Post has been updated.

25. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

26. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

These training trips have been running for weeks - this is nothing new.

27. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

You’re right. First mentioned in this thread 2 months ago, around post #1183.

28. THarris1303

THarris1303 On Moderation

Any idea what ramifications the delays have for the new GA timetable rollout?

29. BlyRF

BlyRF Member

No idea, but i’m keen to know of any new news, been quiet lately

30. 47421

47421 Member

See the other threads re GA. In short under Franchise Agreement GA said would be limited improvements in May 19 (eg Norwich Camb extended to Stansted Apt, LivSt Ipswich semi fast extended to Norwich) and rewrite May 20. The May 19 changes are not happening other than the 2 up 2 down Norwich in 90 services.

The rewrite now Dec 20 earliest and some promised changes eg Ipswich to Peterborough already been abandoned UFN.

Delay not just cus new trains late, rumour is that GA bid from 2016 not deliverable in the post Thameslink timetable fiasco era.