• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

AlexNL

Established Member
so sad that we have to do this. grrrrr
Testing has to be done, and if there's no place in the UK it's better to do it elsewhere. Or would you rather see the units kept in storage until there's capacity available in the UK, and therefor delaying entry into service of these trains? Sounds like a waste of rolling stock to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlanFry1

I believe a unit may have been testing last night on the GOBLIN line due to a number of oddly timed movements in the 3am hours according to realtimetrains? May be wrong though!

goblinuser

I believe a unit may have been testing last night on the GOBLIN line due to a number of oddly timed movements in the 3am hours according to realtimetrains? May be wrong though!
I think that was the class 378 testing the overhead cables.

Class 317722

Still no sign of DOO camera pods on side of carriages. Maybe the 710 will have similar setup to the 345 and s stock. Can anyone throw some light on the subject? Cheers

AlanFry1

It seems that 710258 has half been dispatched to France on some low-loaders with the rest to follow in due course. Supposedly for high speed testing and testing of new software as Old Dalby is full. Most odd

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bev4B0WgDq1/

Hopefully a timetable change for trains between White Hart Lane [WHL] and Liverpool Street maybe? Following local housing which will propel station numbers further?

Last edited by a moderator:

Domh245

Established Member
Still no sign of DOO camera pods on side of carriages. Maybe the 710 will have similar setup to the 345 and s stock. Can anyone throw some light on the subject? Cheers

I think that they're still going to be using bodyside cameras. They should be fitted over the small white/silver patches on the upper bodywork that you can see on this picture. You can see similar covered off areas at the ends of the carriages in this picture as well, and in some shots of the unit at Watford Services as well. Quite why they aren't fitted, I don't know, but I would expect them to be before they enter service

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Oh dear - the 378s testing the line? Are the 710s running late then?

No the most likely reason is that Network Rail want to test the NEW ELECTRIFICATION against a known good train (378). Would be stupid to test the OHL relying on an unknown new train (710) - that needs testing on older electrification first. Do not want to run before we walk and test too many things simultaneously !.

D365

Veteran Member
Probably a good idea to gather running data on the 710 first. They’re rather different to the 345, after all..!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it might be more testing, but it's still not a 710... belongs in the thread about GOBLIN electrification surely?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The outcome of testing does impact the 710s however

Well I wonder about that. Surely the final outcome of testing of the GOBLIN will be success. Even if, at first, the testing is a failure it will not be long before that is rectified and the electrification is ready. It is testing of an implementation of something that has been done else where rather than testing a whole new design. The only real impact on the 710s would be if the electrification was abandoned and I think it is a bit late for that to happen !.

AlanFry1

Well I wonder about that. Surely the final outcome of testing of the GOBLIN will be success. Even if, at first, the testing is a failure it will not be long before that is rectified and the electrification is ready. It is testing of an implementation of something that has been done else where rather than testing a whole new design. The only real impact on the 710s would be if the electrification was abandoned and I think it is a bit late for that to happen !.

Isn't electrification complete? We were expecting the 710s to be on the line by May in drips and drabs....

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Isn't electrification complete? We were expecting the 710s to be on the line by May in drips and drabs....
I am under the impression that the testing on the GOBLIN so far, including the most recent testing, is testing of the electrification. I would expect four months might be reasonable to get testing completed ready for the 710s (to then start their own testing).

Tubeboy

According to Modern Railways, which is usually pretty reliable, the first unit should be tested on the line in March.

theking

Just in case anyone still wondered the units including West Anglia are longitudinal.

Also at one cab end between the doors and the drivers cab is a place called a multipurpose area which have tip up seats this is in addition to the usual disabled area.

Also will be less delays due to egress/pass com activations as these are now reset from the cab

AlanFry1

Just in case anyone still wondered the units including West Anglia are longitudinal.

Also at one cab end between the doors and the drivers cab is a place called a multipurpose area which have tip up seats this is in addition to the usual disabled area.

Also will be less delays due to egress/pass com activations as these are now reset from the cab

What, there's no more traverse seating?!

Wivenswold

Established Member
Yep see all the posts in this thread just before Christmas it isn't news

As above it was reported in Modern Railways at the tail end of 2017. No transverse seating on them 710s, but it should help with capacity issues.

Taunton

Established Member
No transverse seating on them 710s, but it should help with capacity issues.
I wonder if this is illusory. When I saw comparative figures for this it appeared that no standing space was calculated between facing transverse seats. That's understandable, as the whole area is taken up with passenger's legs. Only the gangway was counted. However for sideways seats the entire area between the seats was put into the calculation as standing area. Wherever are the seated passenger legs meant to be? In practice you typically find that passengers stand single file - just the same.

theking

On the 378's you get 2 standing inbetween at least when it's really busy you get 3

LeeLivery

Established Member
What, there's no more traverse seating?!

I can see this annoying a lot of West Anglia passengers. Sitting sideways from Turkey Street? No thanks. I've suddenly become very happy Grayling stopped the TfL take over of the South London suburbans. The new SWT Aventra fleet would've been a nightmare longitudinal.

AlanFry1

I can see this annoying a lot of West Anglia passengers. Sitting sideways from Turkey Street? No thanks. I've suddenly become very happy Grayling stopped the TfL take over of the South London suburbans. The new SWT Aventra fleet would've been a nightmare longitudinal.

Hopefully they don't start running all services as four car diagrams on the lines.