• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

D6975

Established Member
I can't work out how they can have the stop car marker located there when the first set of doors appears to be past the point passengers are allowed?

The marker is actually in the correct position. The driver of the train in the photo has pulled up several metres past the stop marker. If he'd stopped at the marker, the first door would have been well this side of the marker.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The markers aren’t relevant to training runs - stopping beyond them is very sensible to avoid people who “can’t” understand “this train is not in service announcements” attempting to get on.

Fincra5

Established Member
Probably stopped a bit further along, as it was practical to allow the front doors to be released, without passengers trying to board.

class717

The driver stopped at the Class 710 stop board, which is out of shot in my pic, it's further than the 8 car stop by about 6 feet and is indeed past the marker by some distance

20atthemagnet

I can't work out how they can have the stop car marker located there when the first set of doors appears to be past the point passengers are allowed?

Interesting theories... :rolleyes:

This is setup for current 315/317 operations at the monitors which means the first door on the passenger coach will be nowhere near past the barrier. The 710 8 stop car mark is further down due to them being slightly longer. The barriers will be moved before they enter service. A number of locations have already been modified.

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
That used to be the case on the old platform 4a and 4b at Reading. The front set of doors on an 8-car train were way beyond the line and the 'Passengers must not pass this point or cross the line' sign. It was never an issue.

Attachments

• 9-reading-new-southern-plat.gif
    9-reading-new-southern-plat.gif
    350.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Roger B

On Willesden Depot yesterday (29/01): 710103, 710117, 710261, 710263, 710265 + at least one other.

Working on the DC lines: 710257, 710258, 710259, 710262, 710266, 710267 and one 378.

Shunter_69

Saw an 8 car arriving at Liverpool Street around 6:12 this morning. Looked empty so assume it was on test. I assume they are almost ready to enter service.

20atthemagnet

Saw an 8 car arriving at Liverpool Street around 6:12 this morning. Looked empty so assume it was on test. I assume they are almost ready to enter service.

No, yesterday was football so the training train didn’t run and stabled in Chingford. The train you saw would’ve been it returning from Chingford to Enfield to continue to be used for training today.

However, the coupling has been rectified, so it’s now down to all involved parties to decide when a soft launch will happen taking into consideration a number of aspects, including diagrams/rostering etc etc etc. I expect something will be communicated in the next few weeks max.

ijmad

Established Member
That used to be the case on the old platform 4a and 4b at Reading. The front set of doors on an 8-car train were way beyond the line and the 'Passengers must not pass this point or cross the line' sign. It was never an issue.

At Elephant and Castle Platform 1, the rear doors of the 319 used open on to a section of the platform marked "Do not alight here". People did. Don't know if the 700s do SDO.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
At Elephant and Castle Platform 1, the rear doors of the 319 used open on to a section of the platform marked "Do not alight here". People did. Don't know if the 700s do SDO.

They do - the best place to see that feature in operation is Tulse Hill on a down Sutton service.

Presumably the 710s are also capable of selective door opening as most other modern units seem to have it?

ijmad

Established Member
They do - the best place to see that feature in operation is Tulse Hill on a down Sutton service.

Presumably the 710s are also capable of selective door opening as most other modern units seem to have it?

Did I read somewhere that Stoke Newington requires SDO on 8 car trains? In which case the 710s better have it!

20atthemagnet

121 to be replaced with a new unit tonight on WA, which has newer software that irons out most of the bugs including coupling.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Had a journey from South Tottenham to Gospel Oak last week, at about 7.20pm. It was dead.

Could the 710s be used elsewhere whilst the GOBLIN is part suspended?

sjoh

Interesting theories... :rolleyes:

This is setup for current 315/317 operations at the monitors which means the first door on the passenger coach will be nowhere near past the barrier. The 710 8 stop car mark is further down due to them being slightly longer. The barriers will be moved before they enter service. A number of locations have already been modified.
If I'm not mistaken, LO currently borrow a GA 317 during the peaks (although i think this has now been temporarily swapped for a redundant ex-TfL rail unit).
If they're replacing like for like - ie 31 to 31, how is this extra peak time capacity need being met?
Are we assuming that reduced maintenance time will free up a 710 for this? Not an unreasonable assumption, just looking for some clarity if anyone happens to know?

hwl

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken, LO currently borrow a GA 317 during the peaks (although i think this has now been temporarily swapped for a redundant ex-TfL rail unit).
If they're replacing like for like - ie 31 to 31, how is this extra peak time capacity need being met?
Are we assuming that reduced maintenance time will free up a 710 for this? Not an unreasonable assumption, just looking for some clarity if anyone happens to know?
A uniform fleet.
710 need less maintenance than existing stock.
More standing room.

It remains to be seen whether TfL plan on using dwell time reductions /improved acceleration.

samuelmorris

Established Member
A uniform fleet.
710 need less maintenance than existing stock.
More standing room.

It remains to be seen whether TfL plan on using dwell time reductions /improved acceleration.
I don't imagine 710s will offer any dwell time reductions will they? I suppose perhaps the doorways are a little wider but that's about it.

hwl

Established Member
I don't imagine 710s will offer any dwell time reductions will they? I suppose perhaps the doorways are a little wider but that's about it.
Doorways noticeably wider but also larger vestibules, longitudinal seating too.
(see 717s vs 313s on GN)

It could all add up usefully on the longer Cheshunt/Enfield town runs enabling units to be effectively stepped up vs currently at LST on a small number of services. On the small number of existing short turnarrounds at LST you could allow a few more minutes for recovery.

20atthemagnet

Doorways noticeably wider but also larger vestibules, longitudinal seating too.
(see 717s vs 313s on GN)

It could all add up usefully on the longer Cheshunt/Enfield town runs enabling units to be effectively stepped up vs currently at LST on a small number of services. On the small number of existing short turnarrounds at LST you could allow a few more minutes for recovery.

Dwell times wont change that much that they will make a meaninful difference to journey times. Passengers will still crowd around individual doors when boarding..(creatures of habbit on these lines) ....nor will quicker acceleration. Whilst they are better off the mark you are not trained to drive flat out between stations. The driving style for braking is also different that eats into any performance gains. The training runs are similarly timed to passenger runs (just between) services. You still arrive practically the same time as before. Its just not that kind of route. It is currently timed for flat out between stations. So 1-2min late is commonplace. 710s may ease that, but certainly not improve upon the base timings.

Last edited:

class379

Saw a 710 (couldn't get the number) at Enfield Town. Looks nice next to a 317 which shows a pretty big difference!

20atthemagnet

Should be (just) then a few months to roll out whole lot.

Indeed. The sudden urgency to get WA drivers who have already done the training to do coupling next week would point to this.

The train mentioned above (117/120) did some final testing of the ASDO and PIS. All went fine so the only thing in the way now is acceptance and rostering.

They want at least one out in the last week of Feb. But as we know its a dynamic situation.

Last edited: