• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 710 LO

D365

Veteran Member
For some reason the passenger USB ports on these units seem to be delivering extremely low power [current]. I plugged my iPhone into one the other day for around 20 minutes and it delivered about 2% charge, even without use.

I've had the same issue with low USB current on the LNER Azumas.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger B

Just 257 to 269 and 271 (plus 103 and 105 that have been working on the Barking line).
256 is still to be delivered to Willesden. As it was the first built it had test equipment etc in it.

Thanks OvergroundAndy. That'll be why I can't find 710256 then - been wondering why. I think I'll defer my next Willesden bash until it's in service.

I usually hang at the east end of the Richmond / Clapham Junction bound high-level platform, as there you can see what's on the DC lines in/out of Euston as well as what's going through high-level. Although you can't id freight working the WCML (which you can from points towards the west end of the platform), and the vegetation growing alongside the Harlesden Junction - Kensal Green Junction is making it increasingly difficult to identify locos working over it. But if its 710/2s you're after, it's the place to be - after a short spell at Gospel Oak, to pick up those on the Gospel Oak - South Tottenham / Barking shuttles.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
But if its 710/2s you're after, it's the place to be - after a short spell at Gospel Oak, to pick up those on the Gospel Oak - South Tottenham / Barking shuttles.

A 35 minute spell, if you time it right, is enough to see all six Goblin diagrams at Blackhorse Road.

BG-Bottleneck

Just sent out to people on the public TfL email list:

Brand new London Overground trains will be introduced on services to Liverpool Street from Chingford, Cheshunt and Enfield Town stations this week.

These trains will have increased capacity, free Wi-Fi, real-time information screens, air conditioning, USB charging points and additional wheelchair spaces.

These new trains will be introduced into services from this week with all in place by June of this year.

To find out more about the other improvements we are making across London, please visit our improvements and projects page.

Yours sincerely,

Rory O'Neill
General Manager, London Overground

Snow1964

Established Member
Just sent out to people on the public TfL email list:

Brand new London Overground trains will be introduced on services to Liverpool Street from Chingford, Cheshunt and Enfield Town stations this week.

These trains will have increased capacity, free Wi-Fi, real-time information screens, air conditioning, USB charging points and additional wheelchair spaces.

These new trains will be introduced into services from this week with all in place by June of this year.

To find out more about the other improvements we are making across London, please visit our improvements and projects page.

Yours sincerely,

Rory O'Neill
General Manager, London Overground

Earlier the TfL Press Office put out a release including a quote from Heidi Alexander, that route is going to be served by electric trains

It has now been changed to .... served by new electric trains

Obviously she hadn’t noticed Line has been electrified 60 years until someone pointed it out

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/p...ervice-on-routes-into-london-liverpool-street

class717

Earlier the TfL Press Office put out a release including a quote from Heidi Alexander, that route is going to be served by electric trains

Obviously she hadn’t noticed Line has been electrified 60 years until someone pointed it out

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/p...ervice-on-routes-into-london-liverpool-street

Yep, the tweet says Electric too. https://twitter.com/TfL/status/1234881799949553664

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

Media people eh! Probably cut and pasted the Goblin stuff that was saved earlier...

class717

Is it me, or do the 315s and 317s have a better ride quality?
I overheard a driver saying that he'd rather drive a 315 or even a 379 over a 710. There were some issues with its GSMR radios so left LST late on the first run to Chingford. Ran non stop to Walthamstow Central then non stop to Chingford.

class717

The 710s also have old tube maps, pre December 2019, which isn't great as it doesn't have TfL Rail to Reading. The route maps now show the Chingford line as seperate between Bethnal Green and Hackney Downs instead of having the little cross saying that trains from Chingford don't serve London Fields and Cambridge Heath. Pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200304_062906.jpg
    IMG_20200304_062906.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
I overheard a driver saying that he'd rather drive a 315 or even a 379 over a 710. There were some issues with its GSMR radios so left LST late on the first run to Chingford. Ran non stop to Walthamstow Central then non stop to Chingford.
Whether it's buses or trains there's always a certain inevitability in drivers saying they prefer driving [insert whatever has gone before].

20atthemagnet

And when 315s were introduced drivers complained then they would rather take a 305. Drivers will always gravitate towards what they know. The era of 710/345/700 etc are completely radical in terms of operation from the drivers perspective. You no longer have any dials (with the exception of main air) touchscreen panels, Computer management systems, onboard DOO, A central driving position (minus 717) no ability to turn any conditioning off, no opportunity to stand up and drive, and no interaction with the outside world anymore, and a single TBC.

However these are not necessarily bad things. The ergonomics of a 710 are probably amongst the top in the country. Incredible visibility massive amount of adjustment etc (even the whole DSD plate is adjustable) they are an absolute pleasure to operate compared to what they replace. But not everybody embraces new strides in technology and that goes for anything in life not just driving trains.

The only real annoyance I find with them getting a smooth stop. The change over from regen to friction is pretty harsh, but I’m sure once they get used a lot more they will smoothen out. Also anyone that says driving an Electrostar is pleasant is balmy :lol:. Yes they are fantastic if you like looking out of what feels like a porthole on a ship! :'(

Also yes the ride on a 710 is fidgety. Again this will get better over time.

class717

MR has provided more info on when more 710s will be introduced, saying "It expected to accept a further two units imminently with introduction of these planned for mid-March, and after a further two-week interval a pair of units is then planned to be accepted for introduction every week."

James James

Whether it's buses or trains there's always a certain inevitability in drivers saying they prefer driving [insert whatever has gone before].
GA driver's seem to be quite happy with the Stadler's over their previous units thoug? (Although to be fair, 15* cabs don't seem like the best place in the world.)

Elshad

Anyone else think the little roundel on the front of these units on the grille looks a bit tacky and cheap?