• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 720 for c2c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chris11256

12 carriage services can't run via the loop(can pass through on diversion though). The platforms were extended, but further work is required which isn't likely to happen.

Established Member
Fair point, just something I was curious about. OT but it would be interesting to know how many fleets since the 365s, if any, have been designed to use platform monitors, as opposed to CCTV.
357 and 360 are two that come to mind right away

Wivenswold

Established Member
With a 23m 5 car formation there are fewer sets of passenger doorways and carriage ends and in a 10 car formation you're losing the space of 2 cabs. Lots of seats.

I expect this to be the start of a fleet replacement. The Government will want to keep Derby Works busy when their current orders for Aventras are complete and what better pledge to "Basildon Man" than a new fleet of trains? The 357s are getting on now.

Kite159

Veteran Member
With a 23m 5 car formation there are fewer sets of passenger doorways and carriage ends and in a 10 car formation you're losing the space of 2 cabs. Lots of seats.

I expect this to be the start of a fleet replacement. The Government will want to keep Derby Works busy when their current orders for Aventras are complete and what better pledge to "Basildon Man" than a new fleet of trains? The 357s are getting on now.

I can't see the 357s getting replaced within the next 10 years, as compared to some operators they are still modern.

Wolfie

Established Member

"Getting on"? They are give or take 20 years old which is mid-life for an EMU. That is pretty much the same age as the Class 360s that just moved to EMR.

I can't see the 357s getting replaced within the next 10 years, as compared to some operators they are still modern.
Absolutely agree. I use them regularly and they are fine.

Last edited:

RealTrains07

Established Member
I expect this to be the start of a fleet replacement. The Government will want to keep Derby Works busy when their current orders for Aventras are complete and what better pledge to "Basildon Man" than a new fleet of trains?
If thats the case then the rail manufacturering industry is doomed to fail.

Right now c2cs 720s are being brought in because they provide better capacity than the 387s can and they will have more of them. Plus its not like the 387s wont find new homes to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.