• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 720 for c2c

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorsetdesiro

I understand there was a thread on this but seems to have been locked a while ago.

This could be be merged with the GA 720 existing thread, feel free to do this if this should be done.

Any further news or details on the construction of the c2c 720s?

They will have grey bodies with blue doors and purple ends? 3+2 seating?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Can’t find any news about these anywhere.

As far as I know none have been built yet.

I'm guessing these units will be similar to GAs 720s but will maybe have different seating.

chris11256

I was told a few months ago that c2c are expecting a 26 week delay because of covid. Haven’t had a recent update though.

Established Member
The spec is exactly the same as the AGA spec - as they were planned to be part of the same production line.
As far as I am aware the livery will be different, and little else.

Last edited:

I hear rumours that the c2c class 720s will now appear as twelve 5 car units rather than six 10 car units.

Can anyone confirm this?

supervc-10

Would make sense given GA have done the same with theirs. 6 10-cars would be a microfleet compared to the rest of the 5-cars with GA. Would likely make the financing easier, as they'd have a stronger 'used' market. Wasn't the c2c order kind of 'tacked on' to the GA order anyway? Design wise that is.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Given how slow the Aventra fleet introduction has been so far, I could happily place a bet that it'll be longer than 26 weeks before C2C get their hands on one!
At the minute, chances are they’ll have a delay.

Established Member
A good move, I think.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but is it known if these units will have gangways or not?

Domh245

Established Member
A good move, I think.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but is it known if these units will have gangways or not?

They won't have end gangways if that's what you mean? They're (bar paint & upholstery) identical to the greater anglia units

Mikey C

Established Member
As the rest of C2C's fleet are of 20m units, would it have been easier to order 20m units like the 701s?

BayPaul

Established Member
As the rest of C2C's fleet are of 20m units, would it have been easier to order 20m units like the 701s?
When the order was made, this was all about squeezing every last bit of capacity on the line, hence 10 carriage fixed unit 720s vs 3x 4 carriage 387s saving 4 cab lengths, and 2 carriage ends, to maximise capacity.

Domh245

Established Member

Only if the intention was to operate them as a common pool. As these are essentially just replacing & enhancing the current fleet of 6x 387, operating as their own pool, and will still fit in the existing platform length, there's no reason not to have a 20m fleet, particularly when there was a high capacity design in the form of the 720 already available

D365

Veteran Member
Wondering what difference a 20m carriage length would make. The two fleets won't operate in multiple.

Wolfie

Established Member
Only if the intention was to operate them as a common pool. As these are essentially just replacing & enhancing the current fleet of 6x 387, operating as their own pool, and will still fit in the existing platform length, there's no reason not to have a 20m fleet, particularly when there was a high capacity design in the form of the 720 already available
So the intent is to run these through Basildon is it?

Mikey C

Established Member
Wondering what difference a 20m carriage length would make. The two fleets won't operate in multiple.
I don't know the line that well, but would it make it easier with regard to platform monitor positioning, if the line has them for DOO?

BayPaul

Established Member
I don't know the line that well, but would it make it easier with regard to platform monitor positioning, if the line has them for DOO?
All the trains are the same length (12x20m or 10x24m) so the stopping positions are the same

D365

Veteran Member
Fair point, just something I was curious about. OT but it would be interesting to know how many fleets since the 365s, if any, have been designed to use platform monitors, as opposed to CCTV.

Status
Not open for further replies.