• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 73 GW mainline

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo mick

Hi guys i saw a ED in gatwick express liv at west eailing on the down relief i didnt get the loco number as i was driving a turbot towards london any ideas where it was off to maybe greenford havent seen 73s for years on the Western

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Was it pulling 4 coaches by any chance, if so I saw it at Woking about 1220 this afternoon, didnt get the numbers though sorry.

If it was pulling 4 coaches - mix of Riveras Mk1/ Mk2s then that would be 73107 which is currrently being used for driver training by Serco, For eventual use on the southern based NR Test trains...

This should be happening for at least a week or so on Eastleigh to Woking and return runs...

Last edited:

Waddon

Funny enough, I saw the same loco today at Ealing Broadway, from another, overtaking, train but I'm sure it was 73 202 and it had no carriages in tow, just running light engine westbound at around 2pm

fgwrich

Established Member
Yes it is 60011 now, in very faded Mainline blue livery, 60022 is in EWS livery.

Ah, 60011 Passed through basingstoke last week on a CWRR train...

Funny enough, I saw the same loco today at Ealing Broadway, from another, overtaking, train but I'm sure it was 73 202 and it had no carriages in tow, just running light engine westbound at around 2pm

Ah, That would be Dave Berry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zYbtueRGos

Got to say, i wonder what it is doing heading along the GWML though...

In other 73 News, fGBRF's 73201 / Broadlands is also now in eastleigh and after some attention to the electrical side, should also be in use by Serco in the next few days top and Tailing with 73107, Also will be doing a few route learning trips both to woking and possibly to weymouth...

Established Member
73202 is route learning for some new service, cant remember what.

I thought 73201 was RT Rail same as 73107 no fGBRF.

A60K

Stupid question but was it in use for route learning for Ealing Bdy-Wandsworth Road?

Ha! That's just what I was wondering! Maybe Southern could hire back LU's 4-TC set and run it with a Class 73 for this service :)

NSEFAN

Established Member
I think there is a 73 (73202 IIRC) running between Kensington Olympia and Ealing Broadway as required for the rest of this week. It is so the Wandsworth - Kensington parliamentary service can be extended to Ealing using a class 171 DMU, as there is obviously no third rail to Ealing.

It shuttles up and down several times a day, before returning to Selhurst in the early evening.

A60K said:
Maybe Southern could hire back LU's 4-TC set and run it with a Class 73 for this service

I thought LUL had got rid of their 4-TC set? And I'm sure some H&SE person would find an objection to it being used. Something about warning panels/central door locking/crash worthiness. :cry:

Also, I seem to recall a vid of 33+4TC on the GOBLIN in the late 90s? That must have been fun!

Aictos

Established Member
I think there is a 73 (73202 IIRC) running between Kensington Olympia and Ealing Broadway as required for the rest of this week. It is so the Wandsworth - Kensington parliamentary service can be extended to Ealing using a class 171 DMU, as there is obviously no third rail to Ealing.

It shuttles up and down several times a day, before returning to Selhurst in the early evening.

Would you have any times for it? As there's no such service according to Live Departures, :(

NSEFAN

Established Member
No its a light loco, not a passenger service. The times I have indicate 2 diagrams. One stopping at West Brompton, and the other running direct, calling only at Kenny O. Either of the diagrams could run, but I think there is only 1 running per day. Also, they both run as required so may not show up at all.

The times at ealing are either 1030, 1150 and 1430 (for non stop diagram) or 1100 and 1410 (for stopping diagram). Your best bet is in the afternoon, 1400-1430-ish and it should show up.

I imagine when a 171 is freed up, these diagrams may work again with a DMU?

fgwrich

Established Member
73202 is route learning for some new service, cant remember what.

I thought 73201 was RT Rail same as 73107 no fGBRF.

Ah, Good point, sorry - thought it was fGBRF but it is RT Rail...

Got to say though, that its interesting how many 73s are returning back to mainline duties...

But one thing i dont understand, why does it have to terminate at Wandsworth Road, When it could go to somewhere more usefull such as East Croyden - Thus making a better connection for what was originally part of the old Brighton - Reading and beyond XC Service?

Waddon

But one thing i dont understand, why does it have to terminate at Wandsworth Road, When it could go to somewhere more usefull such as East Croyden - Thus making a better connection for what was originally part of the old Brighton - Reading and beyond XC Service?

Because it's not intended to be useful - it's a legal requirement they run a service, but they don't want to, and they don't want to go through the long drawn out closure process (which might actually result in an outcome that obliges them to run a full service).

fgwrich

Established Member
Because it's not intended to be useful - it's a legal requirement they run a service, but they don't want to, and they don't want to go through the long drawn out closure process (which might actually result in an outcome that obliges them to run a full service).

Of Course, I forgot, who are the railways run by again?

DFT Of Course:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.