• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wivenswold

Established Member
I'm not a betting man but I'd put a pound on either 006 or 010. They've been busy on training/mile accumilation runs of late.

LAX54

Established Member
I can't work out what the full diagram is, I end up half an hour out for the 1902!

Well based on todays diagram:

0648 1P11
1P14 0900
1P33 1130
1P34 1400
1P53 1630
1P58 1902
Then 5P58 Crown Point

but of course the diagram could well change between today and tomorrow !
They could well switch the diagram for 1P73

edit revised the diagram

as an aside 5P54 2033, is actually booked to 'Nch Vic' but 'cancelled' UFN at the mo :)

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
Have the wires gone up yet in Victoria Sidings?
Cheers!

Not sure if they are strung up yet, if not, they are not far away, points all reconnected, blocks overnight all week, with the 'points' OOC, and testing etc.

Seems there is no 745 on the 0648 today, looks like NC04 set. 0740 has of course 007.

eastdyke

Established Member
Not sure if they are strung up yet, if not, they are not far away, points all reconnected, blocks overnight all week, with the 'points' OOC, and testing etc.
Seems there is no 745 on the 0648 today, looks like NC04 set. 0740 has of course 007.
Thanks, should have been down but the quacks don't like my blood at the mo. Hopefully next week :)
Shame about the 0648, looks quite possible that the '1 per week' may slip again :(

dk1

Veteran Member
I can't work out what the full diagram is, I end up half an hour out for the 1902!
It's because the 0648 has a tight turnaround in Liveroool St & forms the 0900. No extra 745 in traffic today. Unfortunately there are now five IC sets running trolley only as no buffet car in the set.

WroxhamTroll

Looks like the end if march date is at risk again, unless we start seeing 2 rakes coming on each week. Not sure why I am surprised that GA cant hit a date, or are over optimistic.

trebor79

Established Member
@swills @dk1 thanks for the diagram. Did wonder if if might be a quick turnaround after the first up run.
Half the buffet cars out. Oh dear, from where shall I get my porridge next week :'(

LAX54

Established Member
OK.... the 2nd 745 starts tomorrow 24th:

745007 will be on the 0648 1P11 and rest of diagram, 745010 will be on the 0740 1P15 and stay on that diagram all day.

Lozzy0603

Pleased to get to travel on the 745 from Liverpool Street at 1000hrs today, then the 755 over to Yarmouth and another 755, I forget the time, to connect back with the 1830 Ipswich to London 745 (same train). Beautiful ride. Smooth, quiet. A couple of seats don't line up with windows, but I can't see how they could do this better with the odd double-door per carriage layout.
No problems with the 755s on the regional circuit today, but it looked like it was all old semiphore signalling in use, all the digital signals were covered. Times over the Brundall junction were definately quicker than they used to be! Nothing to complain about really!
I wouldn't pay for first class on a 745 now. I think the difference between that and standard seating is not worth while. On the old Mk3's it used to be worth a whole lot.

Now my big question: if Abellio are happy to sign contracts for 745/755 on the Anglia routes, what would be so wrong with them on the WCML and its branches? In other words, why do WCML customers have to wait years for Bombardier/CAF units in a big queue, when Stadler can knock out units so quickly? Would love to see these units on the St Albans, Marston and Nuckle routes. I think the 745s are about to prove themselves on the Intercity routes once the teething is over.

LAX54

Established Member
Pleased to get to travel on the 745 from Liverpool Street at 1000hrs today, then the 755 over to Yarmouth and another 755, I forget the time, to connect back with the 1830 Ipswich to London 745 (same train). Beautiful ride. Smooth, quiet. A couple of seats don't line up with windows, but I can't see how they could do this better with the odd double-door per carriage layout.
No problems with the 755s on the regional circuit today, but it looked like it was all old semiphore signalling in use, all the digital signals were covered. Times over the Brundall junction were definately quicker than they used to be! Nothing to complain about really!
I wouldn't pay for first class on a 745 now. I think the difference between that and standard seating is not worth while. On the old Mk3's it used to be worth a whole lot.

Now my big question: if Abellio are happy to sign contracts for 745/755 on the Anglia routes, what would be so wrong with them on the WCML and its branches? In other words, why do WCML customers have to wait years for Bombardier/CAF units in a big queue, when Stadler can knock out units so quickly? Would love to see these units on the St Albans, Marston and Nuckle routes. I think the 745s are about to prove themselves on the Intercity routes once the teething is over.

You have until FRI JAN 31st to be signalled by Semaphore signals, to Yarmouth, and Sunday 2nd Feb to Lowestoft, after which there is a 3 week possession / commissioning period, then from 23rd Feb, worked from two MCS workstations with Colchester ASC

TRAFFIC REMARKS

SATURDAY 1ST AND SUNDAY 2ND FEBRUARY RAIL REPLACEMENT ROAD SERVICE TO OPERATE BETWEEN

NORWICH AND YARMOUTH

MONDAY 3RD TO FRIDAY 7TH FEBRUARY INCLUSIVE RAIL REPLACEMENT ROAD SERVICE TO OPERATE

BETWEEN NORWICH AND YARMOUTH, BETWEEN NORWICH AND LOWESTOFT AND BETWEEN BECCLES

AND LOWESTOFT

TRAIN TO STABLE AT BECCLES PLATFORM 2 EVERY NIGHT FROM SUNDAY NIGHT 2ND FEBRUARY TO

SUNDAY NIGHT 16TH FEBRUARY INCLUSIVE

0025 SAT 01 FEB TO 0025 MON 03 FEB

Up & Down (NAY)/Up Platform (Acle): BL8 to Buffer Stops Platform 2 Yarmouth

Up & Down (RBY): Temporary Rail Stop (Reedham Jn) to Buffer Stops Yarmouth Platforms 3-4

0025 TO 0400 MON 03 FEB

Down (NOL: BL3# to Buffer Stops Platform 2 Lowestoft

Up (NOL): Buffer Stops Platforms 3-4 Lowestoft to BL28#

Down East Suffolk/Up & Down East Suffolk: Beyond ES2057#

Up & Down East Suffolk/Up East Suffolk: Approach ES908# pts

Up & Down (NAY)/Down and Up Platforms (Acle): To Buffer Stops Platform 2 Yarmouth

Up & Down (RBY): Temporary Rail Stop (Reedham Jn) to Buffer Stops Yarmouth Platforms 3-4

0400 MON 03 FEB TO 2359 FRI 07 FEB

Down (NOL): Fixed Crossing Beyond TB102# pts to Buffer Stops Platform 2 Lowestoft

Up (NOL): Buffer Stops Platforms 3-4 Lowestoft to TB103# pts

Down East Suffolk/Up & Down East Suffolk: Beyond ES2057#

Up & Down East Suffolk/Up East Suffolk: Approach ES908# pts

Up & Down (NAY)/Down and Up Platforms (Acle): To Buffer Stops Platform 2 Yarmouth

PROTECTION LIMITS

GENERAL REMARKS

POSSESSION COVERS MULTIPLE WEEKS:

PART 1 OF 4 WEEK 45

PART 2 OF 4 WEEK 46

PART 3 OF 4 WEEK 47

PART 4 OF 4 WEEK 48

Brundall Jn

Acle

Reedham Jn

Yarmouth

Lowestoft

Beccles

Whitlingham Jn

Oulton Broad North Jn

Resignalling Work

C70 S&C - Complete Renewal 113A

C72 S&C - Remodelled

Resignalling Work

Item

SATURDAY 01 to FRIDAY 07 FEBRUARY

EA1470 NORWICH THORPE JN TO LOWESTOFT

eastdyke

Established Member
745007 will be on the 0648 1P11 and rest of diagram, 745010 will be on the 0740 1P15 and stay on that diagram all day.
Thanks! Hope that everything goes to plan - big day with 745s crossing in service for the first time :)

dk1

Veteran Member

Just seen that confirmed on this mornings line up :s

chubs

When the signalling complete will the berney arms branch finally reopen?

Nice short trip on 007 this morning. Plenty of staff on board to hand out information and answer any questions.

As mentioned previously, new trains (IETs included) don’t seem to have such a smooth ride. On the whole the 745s are a big step forward from the worn out Mk3s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Now my big question: if Abellio are happy to sign contracts for 745/755 on the Anglia routes, what would be so wrong with them on the WCML and its branches?

Cost? I did hope the LNR franchise would involve these for the Trent Valley local services. With a similar interior they could wipe the floor with Avanti.

RailWonderer

Established Member
010 ran the 07:40 ex Norwich this morning, just saw it on platform 13 opposite where I arrived. Crew all over it, just heard them taking about how it can turnaround much easier in 10-15 mins (referring to how the 06:48 ex-NRW arrived at Liv St to form the 09:00 tightly.

samuelmorris

Established Member
It was a rather unproven product at the time which I think GA were willing to use for the IC route due to lower cost and the rural routes because there weren't really any better alternatives. There's no real reason why bog standard EMUs wouldn't suffice elsewhere, hence the 720s and 730s. Even if those familiar to the industry could see it coming, Abellio weren't to know quite how delayed the Aventra production line would be.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The 745s are a step forward in almost every way over the MK3s apart from the airline seating, which offers poor legroom for anyone who is tall, since a niche in the back of the seat in front is no substitute for real space and it's even worse in the window seat with the ducting and cantilever.

If they could take a row of seats out of each coach or make space in some other way to increase the seat spacing by an inch or so, they'd be ideal, but unfortunately I find airline seats on these trains very uncomfortable, but when the legroom is right, they are certainly excellent.

I'll just book table seats or extra legroom seats where possible when bookings are in. Table seats on the raised sections are excellent, really like those seats, makes it feel like the PKP flirts.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The 745s are a step forward in almost every way over the MK3s apart from the airline seating, which offers poor legroom for anyone who is tall, since a niche in the back of the seat in front is no substitute for real space and it's even worse in the window seat with the ducting and cantilever. If they could take a row of seats out of each coach to increase the seat spacing they'd be ideal, but unfortunately I find airline seats on these trains very uncomfortable, but when the legroom is right, they are certainly excellent.
Very unfortunate as that's the one and only thing the 800s really got right!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yep - I'd pick a 745 over an 800 in every single way, apart from that!

Does anyone know how the actual pitch differs? The FISA LEAN is quite a thick backed seat, whereas the Fainsa Sophia is both very thin and recessed at the sides rather than the middle (like the 175/180 seat) which is a better design for tall males, as people will well know sitting with your legs pushed together is not comfortable for males because of a certain thing that's there that isn't on females.

It wouldn't surprise me if the pitch was very similar or the same. As an example, the original Class 158 seat is *very* thick, and so legroom is very poor in airline seats. The Northern refurbs replace those seats with ironing boards in almost exactly the same layout, and legroom is extremely generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.