• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelmorris

Established Member
To quote Greater Anglia in the latest edition of their New Trains FAQ
"Our investigation found that the issues were not related in any way with the design and performance of our new trains, which had been running successfully since July."

The constant mantra is there were no problems with the 755s and they have been running fine since July so it's nothing to do with them so how could a problem that didn't exist according to GA cause them problems?

How would you think Greater Anglia define successfully? What would be reasonable?
43096 is actually right, the 755 debacle will genuinely have delayed introduction of the 745s and all preparatory stages for doing so such that even if the 745s were faultless they'd still have been delayed. Trouble is, it's the case of the boy who cried signalling problems. People, at least among our community, will be less likely to believe that given the continuous lies we've been fed previously.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

F Great Eastern

Established Member
43096 is actually right, the 755 debacle will genuinely have delayed introduction of the 745s and all preparatory stages for doing so such that even if the 745s were faultless they'd still have been delayed. Trouble is, it's the case of the boy who cried signalling problems. People, at least among our community, will be less likely to believe that given the continuous lies we've been fed previously.

I understand that, but even before the signalling problems were upon us, it was obvious that the 745s were running late so even if the 755s had gone according to plan the 745s would have been later than planned so this cannot simply be ignored as a factor.

In addition a good few weeks ago we were told that the 745s will be rolled out one a week and the roll out has now ground to a bit of a halt it seems. That cannot be due to the 755s either. I would imagine whatever happened with 010 has had a factor in that and some other factors as well. Yes the 755s delay was a factor, but it's not the only one.

The reaction that people make when they hear about a fault with the signalling system is certainly different to what it was about 12 months ago, that's for sure.

MarkWiles

"Our investigation found that the issues were not related in any way with the design and performance of our new trains, which had been running successfully since July."

The constant mantra is there were no problems with the 755s and they have been running fine since July so it's nothing to do with them so how could a problem that didn't exist according to GA cause them problems?

How would you think Greater Anglia define successfully? What would be reasonable?

If that is the case, how come the affected level crossing in the near miss incident had operated safely since 2000 with a wide range of traction from lightweight Class 153 units to heavyweight freight locos, whilst the first autumn with these new trains, we get an alarming wrong side failure?

I'm sorry, it smacks of spin. Technically it's a track circuit issue, but only one which seems to affect the 755s based on the fact this incident hasn't happened with other stock for over 19 years. It's duplicitous buck passing.

trebor79

Established Member
If that is the case, how come the affected level crossing in the near miss incident had operated safely since 2000 with a wide range of traction from lightweight Class 153 units to heavyweight freight locos, whilst the first autumn with these new trains, we get an alarming wrong side failure?

I'm sorry, it smacks of spin. Technically it's a track circuit issue, but only one which seems to affect the 755s based on the fact this incident hasn't happened with other stock for over 19 years. It's duplicitous buck passing.
I think we need to wait for the RAIB report. From what's been said by those more in the know, this was far more complex than an issue only with the 755.

Grumbler

Just to confirm the slowness of the roll-out of the trains is completely beyond the control of Greater Anglia.

There are not problems with the trains or the performance of the trains, unfortunately signalling issues are the reason that the trains are not being rolled out faster. The signalling issues effecting the network have meant that Greater Anglia have had to put back the introduction of the 745s for reasons beyond their control.

Greater Anglia have recently confirmed that signalling issues are the cause of the roll-out delay.
Surely if the signalling cannot cope with the 745s then NONE of them would be in service?

LAX54

Established Member

If that is the case, why do at least 3 or 4, sometimes more 'fail' between Bury and Chippenham ? and that does not include the 'failures' that happen at Ipswich and Norwich

LAX54

Established Member
Surely if the signalling cannot cope with the 745s then NONE of them would be in service?
As far as we are concerned here, the 745's have been excellent, no issues at all, there was the big 745 failure the other week, but that maybe was a simple problem, made worse by the problems rescuing it, and it could not have chosen a much worse place to fail ! Talk to any Signaller, they will reply 745's "great bit of kit", mention a 755, and you will just get a smile ! Are the 745's Polish,the same as the 755's ?

As far as we are concerned here, the 745's have been excellent, no issues at all, there was the big 745 failure the other week, but that maybe was a simple problem, made worse by the problems rescuing it, and it could not have chosen a much worse place to fail ! Talk to any Signaller, they will reply 745's "great bit of kit", mention a 755, and you will just get a smile ! Are the 745's Polish,the same as the 755's ?

So why is the introduction of the 745s taking so long?

dk1

Veteran Member
Interesting, I wonder if that has led to different build quality, as other than the engine module and the length they are basically the same.
I seem to recall being told 755401-405 where Swiss built. After that Poland. We only get to hear really that they arrive through the Channel Tunnel and that's it,

travelworld2

The Greater Anglia app has been bereft of news concerning lack of buffet service on mark 3s, reduced first class facilities (i.e. an EMU instead of a class 90/Mark3 formation)over the past couple of days. Does this mean that those problems are now solved and you will get either a full formation mark 3 OR a 745, or have GA simply stopped reporting the issues?

samuelmorris

Established Member
The Greater Anglia app has been bereft of news concerning lack of buffet service on mark 3s, reduced first class facilities (i.e. an EMU instead of a class 90/Mark3 formation)over the past couple of days. Does this mean that those problems are now solved and you will get either a full formation mark 3 OR a 745, or have GA simply stopped reporting the issues?
I would expect the latter. As far as I can tell, two 745s are not enough by themselves to alleviate the LHCS formation issues.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
What services are 745s expected to run on this weekend? Want to sample first class on them so most likely diagram of the two appreciated.

Railperf

Established Member
not surprising - it is the 'diesel' engine module that seems to be causing the issues. The 755/4s were suffering engine overheat. It seems the 755/3 s suffer more of that because they have to work harder.

So roughly what percentage of Norwich- Liverpool Street services are worked by 745s now? I'm hoping to have a trip from Norwich to London next week and I'd like to make it on a Class 90+Mk3 set if I can, just once more before they leave the line. Is there a list somewhere of services diagrammed for them, or will I only know on the day?

Railperf

Established Member
So roughly what percentage of Norwich- Liverpool Street services are worked by 745s now? I'm hoping to have a trip from Norwich to London next week and I'd like to make it on a Class 90+Mk3 set if I can, just once more before they leave the line. Is there a list somewhere of services diagrammed for them, or will I only know on the day?
Most of them are still Class 90 hauled. As stated there are 2 Monday to Friday diagrams starting 06.48 and 07.40 from Norwich. Everything else is either a Class 90 hauled set or a Class 321.

Last edited:
Most of them. As stated there are 2 Monday to Friday diagrams starting 06.48 and 07.40 from Norwich. Everything else is either a Class 90 hauled set or a Class 321.

Didn't even know 321s were on the route! Sorry I'm a bit unfamiliar with the area. I would assume they're comparatively rare though?

Railperf

Established Member
Didn't even know 321s were on the route! Sorry I'm a bit unfamiliar with the area. I would assume they're comparatively rare though?
At least one or two diagrams per day seem to be 321's to cover for a shortage of serviceable rakes of Mk3's.

kennythelad

745010 worked the 1130 Norwich- Lpool St today. Was down for the 1200, but was swapped to the 1130 as the incoming 90 to form the 1130 was running late. That then did the 1200.

Tiptreebranch

Any sign of any more 745s coming into service? Customers cannot be impressed with short formed push pull setts and 321s.

I didn't think any 745s were working weekends yet? The existing diagrams were Monday-Friday.

007 was reported to be out last Saturday starting with 12:30 from Norwich. The 07:30 was cancelled so unsure if that diagram was originally planned to be a hauled set.

mchunt

007 was reported to be out last Saturday starting with 12:30 from Norwich. The 07:30 was cancelled so unsure if that diagram was originally planned to be a hauled set.

We were on 007 last Saturday (1008 Ipswich to Norwich), the other set was also out and about. Had to do another trip on the mainline later so my son could get a final slam of the MK3 doors before they are retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.