• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 745 Stadler FLIRTs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
3TPH is indeed possible, but will take just one train about 10 late, maybe less, the throw it out, and then there are the constant ECS moves to / from Norwich and the Point, will also need Norwich Station to up their game too

dk1

Veteran Member
3TPH is indeed possible, but will take just one train about 10 late, maybe less, the throw it out, and then there are the constant ECS moves to / from Norwich and the Point, will also need Norwich Station to up their game too
Hopefully some of those ECS moves will diminish once multiple operation is finished & if fuelling becomes more commonplace elsewhere during the day. For example one day last week thanks to the non-coupling issue I was 'spare' from home all afternoon but had to go pass to Ipswich on the 23:05 just to bring a 755 back to Crown Point. Crazy!!

Peter Sarf

Established Member
As has been described elsewhere on these pages at length, the 20 were bought as that is what is needed to operate the service proposed in the franchise bid. 9 in circuit on the Stansteds, with one spare, and 9 in circuit on the Norwich service with one spare. This assumed reduced journey times for both, particularly for the latter. The ‘third’ Norwich service an hour was always going to be a 720.

Thanks @Bald Rick - that does ring a bell. I think I am getting confused with all the different theories, opinions and ideas. Such is the nature a forum so I cannot complain.

Astro_Orbiter

I disagree. Where all trains are a similar speed / acceleration 3tph is possible. Where the problem comes is with the North Walsham Tanks taking up the half hour between one Intercity and the next because of its slow speed.

Who has been training on them at Orient Way CS if Class 755s are unlikely to go there?
West Anglia drivers.

dk1

Veteran Member
Has anyone hit a full 100mph yet from the 50mph TSR before braking for Stowmarket stop? I think 95mph is the fastest i have seen on a 755/3. Even then it seemed a quite easy station stop.
Been having a play lately. 100mph is easily attainable on a 755 (in AC mode) before shutting off for Stowmarket neutral section whereas 95 is the most I've got out of a 745. I will keep trying.

Roger B

745 108 and 745 109 were stabled in Orient Way carriage sidings yesterday, with a pair of 755s sandwiched in between, one of which was 755 407.

Railperf

Established Member
Been having a play lately. 100mph is easily attainable on a 755 (in AC mode) before shutting off for Stowmarket neutral section whereas 95 is the most I've got out of a 745. I will keep trying.
Are you guys finding the 745/1s slightly faster accelerating. I am assuming lighter due to no tables? I measured 0 to 100mph in 100 secs!!! SENSATIONAL!!!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Are you guys finding the 745/1s slightly faster accelerating. I am assuming lighter due to no tables? I measured 0 to 100mph in 100 secs!!! SENSATIONAL!!!
Surely that's got to be a coincidence. 500 odd seatback tables could only weigh as much as maybe 10 passengers, I can't believe you'd see a noticeable difference from that.

Railperf

Established Member
Surely that's got to be a coincidence. 500 odd seatback tables could only weigh as much as maybe 10 passengers, I can't believe you'd see a noticeable difference from that.
The 745/1s still have seatback tables. It is the main tables and supports that have gone.

I can only think it was due to a number of factors - very light load...plenty of juice in the 25kV supply, a healthy performing unit..and a driver giving it the full beans!

samuelmorris

Established Member
The 745/1s still have seatback tables. It is the main tables and supports that have gone.

I can only think it was due to a number of factors - very light load...plenty of juice in the 25kV supply, a healthy performing unit..and a driver giving it the full beans!
Of course they have, sorry - in which case it'll likely be even less weight. I'd be surprised if there was any substantial difference between the performance of each unit, must just have been an enthusiastic driver and the right conditions.

delticdave

Silly question perhaps, but do you have a line voltage meter in your cab?
It's not uncommon elsewhere, especially in lowish voltage DC countries. I've seen 3.6kV DC (rather than 3.0kV) in a stationary Belgium EMU cab in Luxembourg & 1.1kV (rather than 1.5kV DC) wasn't unusual in the Netherlands either.

Speed43125

It's not uncommon elsewhere, especially in lowish voltage DC countries. I've seen 3.6kV DC (rather than 3.0kV) in a stationary Belgium EMU cab in Luxembourg & 1.1kV (rather than 1.5kV DC) wasn't unusual in the Netherlands either.
I believe so. Certainly the Hitachi 80x stuff does.

Railperf

Established Member
My first day on the 745's since lockdown was imposed and I have to say they are a worthy successor to the loco hauled stock. These trains are a really great product. I am not missing the 90's and Mk 3's at all. And i really hope GA can make use of the performance with a much faster timetable in due course. The amount of waiting time at stations is verging on the ridiculous now! You could easily take 5 to 10 minutes out of the timetable between Norwich and Colchester!!

TRAX

Established Member
Other trains running on the line in the same or opposite direction can have an effect on that too.

20atthemagnet

Pretty much the norm these days, all the new Bombardier Aventras do the same (albeit not a meter but a visual indication to the nearest whole Kv eg 23,22,21) on the TCMS screen that acts a line voltage indication. The days of physical line lights seem to gone. It usually averages around the 23/24 mark on a normal day, 22 when there are lot of trains around.

TRAX

Established Member
It usually averages around the 23/24 mark on a normal day, 22 when there are lot of trains around.
The opposite can also happen when a train brakes not far, as it sends back power to the knitting, the current can go in excess, and it can even prevent the older train from leaving a station until the current comes down again.

delticdave

Pretty much the norm these days, all the new Bombardier Aventras do the same (albeit not a meter but a visual indication to the nearest whole Kv eg 23,22,21) on the TCMS screen that acts a line voltage indication. The days of physical line lights seem to gone. It usually averages around the 23/24 mark on a normal day, 22 when there are lot of trains around.
Thanks. ISTR that the original BR specifications for 25 kV locos & units were for X tons @ x speeds at a line voltage of 22.5kV, they must have realized that it's not possible to provide an exact 25kV feed everywhere.

delticdave

The opposite can also happen when a train brakes not far, as it sends back power to the knitting, the current can go in excess, and it can even prevent the older train from leaving a station until the current comes down again.

That was a real problem in Belgium when they electrified their main line through the Ardennes to Arlon & onward into Luxembourg.
If there were too many trains regenerating downhill, when the over-voltage exceeded 3.6 kV DC, the regen brake would shut down which triggered a heavy air-brake application..... AFAIK, some of the sub-stations were equipped with resistor banks to absorb the unwanted energy.
Q?, did the Woodhead route have similar problems?

delticdave

Other trains running on the line in the same or opposite direction can have an effect on that too.

Makes sense, especially when the supply system is only "just" capable, as seems to be normal in the more recent 25 kV electrifications.

MikePJ

That was a real problem in Belgium when they electrified their main line through the Ardennes to Arlon & onward into Luxembourg.
If there were too many trains regenerating downhill, when the over-voltage exceeded 3.6 kV DC, the regen brake would shut down which triggered a heavy air-brake application..... AFAIK, some of the sub-stations were equipped with resistor banks to absorb the unwanted energy.
Q?, did the Woodhead route have similar problems?
I have a recollection (just tried to find a reference but failed, so treat with a pinch of salt) that they initially had to timetable trains so as to match the uphill trains to the downhill ones, but later they put automatically switched banks of resistances in the feed stations to dump excess power.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
So I see that even on a Sunday there are three 745/0 diagrams which are being operated without first class (I assume 745/1s?)

Is this to give the 745/1s a run out or is there a shortage, even on a Sunday, of 745/0s.

So I see that even on a Sunday there are three 745/0 diagrams which are being operated without first class (I assume 745/1s?)

Is this to give the 745/1s a run out or is there a shortage, even on a Sunday, of 745/0s.

I'm not sure if it has been a regular feature since the reduced timetable but I notice that the bins have been out covering some of their usual diagram on Friday and Saturday.

Railperf

Established Member
I'm imagining the sets that have been accepted into service need rotating through the diagrams..if trains are anything like cars..they need using rather than stating around.

incidentally - have all the 745/0 and 745/1 sets been accepted into service?

Railperf

Established Member
Update: 97mph achieved on 106.

Railperf

Established Member
That is damn good going & has set me a challenge.
The 745/1's definitely seem to have more oomph in them for some reason - or maybe my first runs on the 745/0's weren't being driven at full power. I have recorded 0-60mph in 37 seconds Northbound out of Stowmarket and 100mph in under two minutes despite the climb to Haughley - which is pretty phenomenal! Of course - passenger loading are still almost negligible.

745109 looks as though it has only just entered service. Interesting to note the PIS carriage indicator seemed to display a first class section that does not exist on these trains lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.