• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 76 at Crewe Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmc

Visiting Crewe Works in the early 1970s there were always one or two class 76 from the Woodhead route in for maintenance. Question is, when they had been through works, was there a short section of 1500dc track within the workd on which they could be tested, or were they simply towed back to Reddish and it was hoped they would work first time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Visiting Crewe Works in the early 1970s there were always one or two class 76 from the Woodhead route in for maintenance. Question is, when they had been through works, was there a short section of 1500dc track within the workd on which they could be tested, or were they simply towed back to Reddish and it was hoped they would work first time!

Apparently there was a 1500V DC test track, it was located alongside the Crewe-North Wales main line I believe.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks both. Always good to learn something new.
I was quite taken by this interesting piece of detail:

“The Woodhead Route Electrics were probably the most well-built locomotives I’ve ever seen. When they came into the works although they were stripped of component parts for repair, it was usually just a case of cleaning them as the amount of wear was minimal.”

Taunton

Established Member
Similarly, the LMS-era Merseyside 650v dc electric units, both the Wirral ones and the Southport ones, were overhauled at Horwich Works, until it closed, along with the 1200v Bury units, the 1500v overhead Glossop units, and maybe some others. They were hauled to and fro unbraked with match wagons, and one result was the interiors looked very similar between the different types for upholstery, paint colour, etc. I don't know if Horwich had a dc test line like this one, it would have had to adapt to a range of systems.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks both. Always good to learn something new.
I was quite taken by this interesting piece of detail:

“The Woodhead Route Electrics were probably the most well-built locomotives I’ve ever seen. When they came into the works although they were stripped of component parts for repair, it was usually just a case of cleaning them as the amount of wear was minimal.”

Tbh just observing them from a laymans view point they really did appear to be of a very solid construction. Comparing one stood next to a class 24/25 at for example Reddish ETD back in the day the contrast was really rather stark.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Tbh just observing them from a laymans view point they really did appear to be of a very solid construction. Comparing one stood next to a class 24/25 at for example Reddish ETD back in the day the contrast was really rather stark.
I completely missed out on them unfortunately.
I’ve seen at least one of the preserved 77s (and maybe ‘Tommy’), I do remember them looking like a pretty heavy duty bit of kit. Wish I’d seen them in service.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I completely missed out on them unfortunately.
I’ve seen at least one of the preserved 77s (and maybe ‘Tommy’), I do remember them looking like a pretty heavy duty bit of kit. Wish I’d seen them in service.

Never managed haulage behind one but ticked most them off and saw plenty in action. No surprise really as Reddish depot was only a couple of miles (as the crow flies) distant.

Attachments

• IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Never managed haulage behind one but ticked most them off and saw plenty in action. No surprise really as Reddish depot was only a couple of miles (as the crow flies) distant.
Love the old E numbers. Is that a 1972 combined volume Mr Bridge?

delt1c

Established Member
Remember my 1st visit to Redish Depot in the mid 70's and was my 1st sighting of a 76. What struck me most was that body work look almost armoured plated, had never seen a loco like them .

neilmc

Well I never, they did have a 1500v dc test facility after all! Thanks for the input!

lyndhurst25

Established Member
There were similar 1500V DC test facilities installed at Longsight depot, to maintain the Class 506 EMUs when they were transferred there after Reddish closed. A class 83 loco was used to do the voltage conversion!

Journeyman

Established Member

Weren't they supposedly built out of surplus wartime armour plating? I heard scrapping them was quite a tough job.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Weren't they supposedly built out of surplus wartime armour plating? I heard scrapping them was quite a tough job.

I hadn't heard that one if I'm honest but its definitely quite believable isn't it, and the timing of their construction dates ties in quite well.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
It is, well observed! Really I'd imagine I would surely have cleared them all by a year or two later.
Wow amateurs. I cleared them all 5 times and I have multiple photographs of all of them and all of them working. Used to do Reddish Guide Bridge and Wath almost every 6 weeks in the 1970s and Crewe Works minimum twice a year. I can post photos of them all if you would like.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Wow amateurs. I cleared them all 5 times and I have multiple photographs of all of them and all of them working. Used to do Reddish Guide Bridge and Wath almost every 6 weeks in the 1970s and Crewe Works minimum twice a year. I can post photos of them all if you would like.

Shameful on my part really considering my close proximity to Reddish ETD! If I'm honest the Ian Allan Combine Page I posted wasn't updated when I moved onto later editions therefore I probably did eventually clear the fleet including 26000 Tommy which was stored by BR at Bury along with a handful of class 83/84s during the early 1970s. Also managed to see most of the 77s at Reddish after their withdrawal from service, at a guess perhaps late 68/early 69? I remember they were kept in warm storage so compressors etc. still ticking away, how I kick myself for not photographing them unlike yourself with the 76s!

Status
Not open for further replies.