• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Qwerty133

Established Member
Hmm. Fleet name.

Well we will eventually have EMR Electrics (360), EMR InterCity (810) and EMR Regional (170).

Name the 810 fleet the Trent Class after the River. And the 170 fleet the Derby Class after their construction place. That does leave the 360 fleet. Maybe they could be the Terrence Class.
Maybe the Soar class would be more appropriate if we want a river name, what with it sounding like what the ticket price is likely to make your and the seats may well due to your arse (and on some services your fellow passengers do to your head).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
How about the Compromise, or in a nod to the SoS who cut back electrification, the Grayling.

Aictos

Established Member
Well I never knew old Nige lived in St Albans. (Strictly speaking, it’s not St Albans now, but Hertsmere, and the wrong side of the M25 to boot).

Didn't know about the St Albans link but I know he lived in Watton House in the village of Watton-At-Stone until his death in 1941.

dorsetdesiro

Class 810 naming suggestions:

EMR Pride - after Derby Pride Park, Derby being proud home of British rail engineering?
EMR Motion - after Lincolnshire born Issac Newton's laws of motion?

class26

EMR Pride - after Derby Pride Park, Derby being proud home of British rail engineering?

Pity though they will not operate in Lincolnshire save for maybe to odd outing to the seaside in high summer

Kneedown

Established Member
Pity though they will not operate in Lincolnshire save for maybe to odd outing to the seaside in high summer

I'm not aware of any plans to do away with the single morning and evening Lincoln services, but the point is valid.

My suggestion was "Wyverns", the emblem of the former Midland Railway.

Thunderer

How about "Numb Bums" because being a suffering passenger on GWR, that's what you can expect on the MML when these god awful trains are introduced, with probably the same seats as on GWR. Or you could dedicate the naming to the DfT and call them "Numb Skulls" for actually endorsing and inflicting these awful trains on GWR and ECML passengers.

dorsetdesiro

810s may not operate much in Lincolnshire, I suggested Motion as Newton comes from the East Midlands therefore may suit EMR's critiera for the new name. Agreed they could occasionally go to Lincoln & Skegness.

I like "Wyvern", it is a good name though GWR could have used this for their 800's instead of the pedestrian "IET" as the Wyvern name seems to identify more with Somerset & Wessex. If EMR goes with it, then great!

This may be too obvious but this will refer more about EMR than the region itself - "EMR Flying Aubergine"? Haha...

Last edited:

dorsetdesiro

I wouldn't blame the terrible seating on the trains as the new TPE CAF units also have these as well! The EMR 810s could have the same seating at the new GA Stadler intercity FLIRTs as both GA and EMR are run by Abellio but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they don't. Abellio seems more "thoughtful" than FirstGroup & others as the new WMR regional trains lack the ironing boards.

I do like the Hitachi Super Express trains, only if they had better seating with the DfT being so penny pinching using the fire regulations excuse. I've used LNER up and down from Yorkshire, of course not as comfortable as the old HSTs and I didn't really find them a problem. The Thameslink 700s are much worse at least LNER doesn't have the cheek to use these between KGX and Leeds.

Depending how rail travel will fare post-virus and whoever owning the franchise, hopefully they will have the sense to improve/upgrade the seating when the IETs/Azumas/Paragons/Nova 1s/ the AWC, First East Coast, EMR units enter their first or midlife refurbishment.

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
I wouldn't blame the terrible seating on the trains as the new TPE CAF units also have these as well! The EMR 810s could have the same seating at the new GA Stadler intercity FLIRTs as both GA and EMR are run by Abellio but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they don't. Abellio seems more "thoughtful" than FirstGroup & others as the new WMR regional trains won't come with ironing boards.

I do like the Hitachi Super Express trains, only if they had better seating with the DfT being so penny pinching using the fire regulations excuse. I've used LNER up and down from Yorkshire, of course not as comfortable as the old HSTs and I didn't really find them a problem. The Thameslink 700s are much worse at least LNER doesn't have the cheek to use these between KGX and Leeds.

Depending how rail travel will fare post-virus and whoever owning the franchise, hopefully they will have the sense to improve/upgrade the seating when the IETs/Azumas/Paragons/Nova 1s/ the AWC, First East Coast, EMR units enter their first or midlife refurbishment.
As will the TfW 197s. Fainsa Sophias are a 'UK modern rail industry' problem, not specifically a Hitachi problem. Like you, however, I find LNER's iteration of them to be less problematic than most. It will be interesting to see how EMR fare in that regard.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
How about "Numb Bums" because being a suffering passenger on GWR, that's what you can expect on the MML when these god awful trains are introduced, with probably the same seats as on GWR. Or you could dedicate the naming to the DfT and call them "Numb Skulls" for actually endorsing and inflicting these awful trains on GWR and ECML passengers.

I dunno, the TPE 802s are pretty comfortable.

Domh245

Established Member
I wonder if we could see LEANs fitted to these units. Abellio do seem to have a preference for them as they've appeared in both WMR and GA fleets, but it would involve getting them approved for the higher speed I think

CeeJ

I suppose 'EMR Council Car Park', named after where they found Richard III, or Plantagenets to really rub it in during the occasional trips to Leeds. Maybe 'not quite Azumas'?

On a serious note I do like Wyverns. Can't think of anything creative.

Odd that they'd change the class number, not a massive fan of very similar trains taking up distant class number (looking at you, Bombardier and Siemens), though it may simply be that the changes are great enough to warrant a clear distinction from the usual Class 800s.

DB

I suppose 'EMR Council Car Park', named after where they found Richard III, or Plantagenets to really rub it in during the occasional trips to Leeds. Maybe 'not quite Azumas'?

On a serious note I do like Wyverns. Can't think of anything creative.

Odd that they'd change the class number, not a massive fan of very similar trains taking up distant class number (looking at you, Bombardier and Siemens), though it may simply be that the changes are great enough to warrant a clear distinction from the usual Class 800s.

Aren't the vehicles going to be shorter than the 800s? If so, they have to have a different class number as the route clerance won't be the same.

CeeJ

Aren't the vehicles going to be shorter than the 800s? If so, they have to have a different class number as the route clerance won't be the same.

Apologies, I meant from 804 to 810 - if route clearance isn't the same would they need a major differential?

superalbs

Established Member
This picture of a new render has been doing the rounds on Facebook:
1603719271191.png

It does look very nice (certainly much better than the dull and generally poor regular design), but I am of course still prepared to be disappointed.

Unfortunately they supposedly have also chosen another daft name, this time 'EMR Aurora'.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I like the look of that, it looks more modern and "meaning business" than the original, including windows flush with the bodyside, presumably to avoid the cleaning issue of the existing 80x.

Interesting that the end vehicle has the end door inset a window width from the end.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
This picture of a new render has been doing the rounds on Facebook:
View attachment 85093

It does look very nice (certainly much better than the dull and generally poor regular design), but I am of course still prepared to be disappointed.

Unfortunately they supposedly have also chosen another daft name, this time 'EMR Aurora'.
Hate the lights! If it had a yellow end it'd look quite nice though overall.

irish_rail

Established Member
Uglier than the original, lights certainly make it look daft, and front end just looks like it was once yellow, just very very faded!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Interesting that the end vehicle has the end door inset a window width from the end.
The inner end of the driving car has more than a hint of 158 about it, probably because of that feature.

Oddly the second image doesn't have the inset door, so I assume one or the other is just a rendering oversight on the part of whoever produced the images. There's nothing I'm aware of that would prevent doors being offset on either side of a vehicle, but there's no advantage to designing it that way.

Last edited: