• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 800/802 difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blillpers

I've skimmed through the 200+ pages in the Class 800 discussion, but been unable to find an answear to the rather simple question: What is the difference between a class 800 and a class 802, other than the formations and number of coaches per unit?

As I understand it the 802 were supposed to have up-rated engines and larger fuel tanks, but the 800 fleet has now also recived these upgrades?

Different interiors? Anything else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I've skimmed through the 200+ pages in the Class 800 discussion, but been unable to find an answear to the rather simple question: What is the difference between a class 800 and a class 802, other than the formations and number of coaches per unit?

As I understand it the 802 were supposed to have up-rated engines and larger fuel tanks, but the 800 fleet has now also recived these upgrades?

Different interiors? Anything else?
The 802s are substantially cheaper, being financed through the conventional ROSCO leasing route, rather than a DfT PFI type deal.

Filton Bank

802s have bigger brake resistors on the roof. That's about it really from the technical point of view. It's mostly to do with the procurement process. 800s are supplied by Agility to the DfT, 802s are supplied to GWR by Eversholt.

Filton Bank

Is this change owed to longer distances away from the wires?
So I'm told. In electric mode, the primary braking method is regenerative. 800s have a brake rheostat but it's only there for very brief use when regen isn't available (e.g., in a neutral section). The larger brake resistors on 802s allow rheostatic braking as the primary brake in diesel mode (which reduces the wear on the friction brake components) as they will be spending less time under the wires.

Established Member
Well they should have had a Buffet and perhaps less drab interior but unfortunately it looks as though they have been given the same interior as the 800's and of course no Buffet.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
At the risk of restarting a 50-page argument, I believe the Engine Management Systems on 802s will allow higher acceleration on diesel than that on 800s.
They also have a different maintenance regime with a greater proportion of planned usage on diesel.
802s from the same batch are also destined for Hull Trains and TPE.
Some of the 802s will be assembled by Hitachi in Italy (Pistoia) rather than in Japan or Newton Aycliffe, but they all have the same spec.
It's a First Group contract with Hitachi for 802, rather than a DfT one for 800/801.
Eversholt is financing the GWR sets, Angel is financing the HT/TPE sets.

Domh245

Established Member
At the risk of restarting a 50-page argument, I believe the Engine Management Systems on 802s will allow higher acceleration on diesel than that on 800s.
They also have a different maintenance regime with a greater proportion of planned usage on diesel.
802s from the same batch are also destined for Hull Trains and TPE.
Some of the 802s will be assembled by Hitachi in Italy (Pistoia) rather than in Japan or Newton Aycliffe, but they all have the same spec.
It's a First Group contract with Hitachi for 802, rather than a DfT one for 800/801.
Eversholt is financing the GWR sets, Angel is financing the HT/TPE sets.

As far as I'm aware, no 802s are being built in Newton Aycliffe, only Kasado & Pistoia. Newton Aycliffe is full up with the IEP and Class 385 orders. Everything else seems correct though.

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, no 802s are being built in Newton Aycliffe, only Kasado & Pistoia. Newton Aycliffe is full up with the IEP and Class 385 orders. Everything else seems correct though.
I'm sure thats true of the GWR stuff but TPE own press release stated that most of TPE ones will be built at Newton Aycliffe

dp21

It was my understanding that the 802s have larger fuel tanks and higher engine power.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It was my understanding that the 802s have larger fuel tanks and higher engine power.

The fuel tanks will be identical to the 800 sets as both are now being fitted with the larger 1550L tanks. The engines power will be the same, 700kw, but hopefully will be available at more of the speed range than the 800 sets have apparently been set up for. The acceleration rate on diesel should also be 0.82 rather than the 0.7 on an 800.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm sure thats true of the GWR stuff but TPE own press release stated that most of TPE ones will be built at Newton Aycliffe

Hitachi's press release just says the TPE units will be built at their global manufacturing sites.
They will also be maintained at Hitachi Doncaster, which is off the routes TPE says they will be working on.
http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/hitach...ampaign=Subscription&utm_content=current_news
*Notes on testing and manufacturing
The new fleet of Hitachi intercity trains (Class 802) were ordered by FirstGroup for TransPennine Express in 2016.
The trains will be built across Hitachi’s global manufacturing sites.
The first two trains to be built in Japan are test trains (802201 & 802202). Testing in the UK will begin in summer 2018 ahead of the trains entering passenger service in December 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.