• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 800 & 802 safety issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Due to a crack on a deflector plate behind a nose cone discovered on several sets there are service alterations on GWR today. Affected trains are being taken out of service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichT54

Due to a crack on a deflector plate behind a nose cone discovered on several sets there are service alterations on GWR today. Affected trains are being taken out of service.

I'm assuming that a deflector plate deflects something, any information on what it's purpose is?

83G/84D

Established Member
I don't know that sorry, I don't work on the IET's. Initial information received from a work colleague. It doesn't appear to be having a huge impact today due to the reduced service operating. It may adversely affect the increased service planned to start on Monday as there is no easy or quick fix.

skyhigh

Established Member
Apparently, first thing this morning NR weren't allowing Class 800s into service due to the issue. That was lifted around 6am though.

Domh245

Established Member
I'm assuming that a deflector plate deflects something, any information on what it's purpose is?

I would think it's the little 'prongs' in front of the wheels, the aim is to try and deflect anything that might be on the rail to prevent a derailment. You can see what I'm talking about in this picture, it's the little bit of metal that picks up off the bogie and bends around the front of the wheel

JN114

Established Member
It’s only affecting the 800s, not the 802s. 800s are being inspected, if there isn’t a fault found they’re being cleared for service.

JN114

Established Member
I would think it's the little 'prongs' in front of the wheels, the aim is to try and deflect anything that might be on the rail to prevent a derailment. You can see what I'm talking about in this picture, it's the little bit of metal that picks up off the bogie and bends around the front of the wheel

Those are lifeguards, the deflector plate in question protects critical electronics under the nose. If a damaged plate comes loose at 125mph it could be lethal. A number of sets were found on inspection to have damaged deflectors that could have come loose - That’s why they’re being inspected.

Turbos are deputising on duties they’re able to, and as previous 802s aren’t affected. Whole fleet of 800s should be inspected and remedied sufficiently to not adversely affect increased service provision from Monday.

rebmcr

Established Member
They'll want to be careful, a radiation leak could kill the whole crew and send the ship train 3,000,000 years off-course!

JN114

Established Member
They'll want to be careful, a radiation leak could kill the whole crew and send the ship train 3,000,000 years off-course!

I don’t think the staff on North Pole are Chicken Soup Vending Machine Repair Men, so I think we’ll be ok... ;)

JN114

Established Member
Was surprised to note several making it to Great Malvern. Good competence cross depot or good fortune one wonders ?

Still a fair degree of Cotswolds work covered by Oxford Drivers and Reading Guards, in these cases Turbo is (officially) their core traction not IET - that which can be covered has been.

Unfortunately Worcester crews no longer work Turbos, otherwise there’s likely even more that could have been done.

Mollman

Established Member
DO we know if LNER's 800s needed inspecting? I know in the past the issues with HEX 332s have lead to Northern's 333s being inspected for the same issues.

PG

Established Member
They did need inspection.
Which implies that the issue hadn't been noticed on the production line*, though obviously it will now be known about and re-design and/or mitigation put in place.

*Though the deflector plates being inspected could be because of someone on the production line discovering a fault.

skyhigh

Established Member
Which implies that the issue hadn't been noticed on the production line*, though obviously it will now be known about and re-design and/or mitigation put in place.

*Though the deflector plates being inspected could be because of someone on the production line discovering a fault.
As I understand it, it was damage acquired during running rather than an installation defect, so I don't think there would have been anything to notice on the production line.

PG

Established Member
As I understand it, it was damage acquired during running rather than an installation defect, so I don't think there would have been anything to notice on the production line.
Ah, I see, thank you for that information, most kind of you to share it with us.

Maybe just frequent checks now that operator's are aware of the potential issue.

Sporty60

Is it the case that if some plates had incurred damage they are simply doing their job?

Is it the case that if some plates had incurred damage they are simply doing their job?

I'd say that anything that deflects obsticles should either stay intact or deform to a degree, rather than crack. I can imagine a crack would have developed at a weld / mounting point. Just my thoughts so could be totally wrong.

This is a lifeguard that has taken a slight impact (note it isn't confirmed here what component is defective on the IET).

49912336046_f8a1a48543.jpg

Last edited:

83G/84D

Established Member
The fault lies with cracks in the deflector plate behind the nose cone. This plate protects electrical components and the crack was near where a bolt went through a hole. Over 20 sets had the fault when examined over the weekend and the plan was to remove the defective deflector plates.

Given that the timetable changes that started yesterday requires more attachments and detachments at key points such as Plymouth, Bristol Temple Meads & Paddington I suggest that the majority have had this done and are back in traffic.

83G/84D

Established Member
That implies to me that they aren't really needed if you can 'just' remove them without replacement.

Or a calculated risk to remove them and hope the electrics are okay rather than risk them falling off the train whilst it is moving pending a permanent fix.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The fault lies with cracks in the deflector plate behind the nose cone. This plate protects electrical components and the crack was near where a bolt went through a hole. Over 20 sets had the fault when examined over the weekend and the plan was to remove the defective deflector plates.
Interesting that the 802s aren't affected. Does this mean it's a lifetime/fatigue issue and the 802s would be affected when they get to the same age, or was this component re-designed for the 802?

On Moderation
Interesting that the 802s aren't affected. Does this mean it's a lifetime/fatigue issue and the 802s would be affected when they get to the same age, or was this component re-designed for the 802?
As I understand it is a fatigue issue and one 802 was found when the fleet-wide check was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.