• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 800 - Wolverton Works (800109 - Neville Hill crash unit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I was walking past Wolverton Works when I looked to my right and could see what looks like a class 80x stabled at the front of the site I could only see the roof though so I'm not sure of the number of TOC does anyone know what this unit it doing here? I could see some of the body at the top and it was white, so I'm guessing it might be accident damaged LNER 800109 perhaps? Based on what I could see it looked like an LNER unit for sure, that's all I know, if anyone knows anything I'd love to know as the works is very close to where I live and I'm intrigued as I would not expect an 80x unit to be in a place like Wolverton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I was walking past Wolverton Works when I looked to my right and could see what looks like a class 80x stabled at the front of the site I could only see the roof though so I'm not sure of the number of TOC does anyone know what this unit it doing here? I could see some of the body at the top and it was white, so I'm guessing it might be accident damaged LNER 800109 perhaps? Based on what I could see it looked like an LNER unit for sure, that's all I know, if anyone knows anything I'd love to know as the works is very close to where I live and I'm intrigued as I would not expect an 80x unit to be in a place like Wolverton.
800109 undergoing repair works.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Was reported to be going to Wolverton in mid-November, so about 8 months now.
Wow! That is at long time! Surely the entire coach could've been rebuilt or built new from scratch by now! Or is there more than the first coach damaged from the collision? Either way 1 coach or more the HST it hit faired better I think especially considering it's 40 years old versus a brand new train!

Established Member
Wow! That is at long time! Surely the entire coach could've been rebuilt or built new from scratch by now! Or is there more than the first coach damaged from the collision? Either way 1 coach or more the HST it hit faired better I think especially considering it's 40 years old versus a brand new train!

Front carriage serious damage, plus 3 coaches derailed, however all 9 carriages have been throughly checked over by insurers and Hitachi to assertain what repairs are needed.

superjohn

the HST it hit faired better I think especially considering it's 40 years old versus a brand new train!
That depends on how you define good performance in a collision. The HST may be more resilient to damage but does that translate into greater passenger protection? More modern trains are designed to absorb the energy from a collision away from passenger areas, the upshot of this is that even minor collisions can significantly compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought the point made at the time was that the 800 front end damage looked bad because the sacrificial fairing disintegrated as intended, but the actual safety structure was undamaged?

hwl

Established Member
I thought the point made at the time was that the 800 front end damage looked bad because the sacrificial fairing disintegrated as intended, but the actual safety structure was undamaged?
The energy was spread down the train with derailed bogies a few cars from the front. The couplings (internal and external to the unit) all contain energy absorption measures as well as lateral dampers to reduce sudden movements of cars vs coupling bars (it was probably these dampers and the asymmetric setup causing the derailment of the bogies in 3rd /4th/5th cars). Hence Id' be surprised if there wasn't some damage around the couplers, dampers and the mounting points

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The energy was spread down the train with derailed bogies a few cars from the front. The couplings (internal and external to the unit) all contain energy absorption measures as well as lateral dampers to reduce sudden movements of cars vs coupling bars (it was probably these dampers and the asymmetric setup causing the derailment of the bogies in 3rd /4th/5th cars). Hence Id' be surprised if there wasn't some damage around the couplers, dampers and the mounting points
Yes, I remember that from the long discussion at the time, I was Just trying to explain that the visual damage to the cab end wasn’t directly comparable.

Superbird11

Mod Note: Posts #13 - #15 originally in separate thread that has been merged into this one.

It's been nearly a year since the HST vs Azuma crash at the Neville Hill depot, that left both trains pretty heavily damaged.

As far as I know, the HST power car has been scrapped, but I haven't heard anything about the Azuma.

Is it still being repaired?

Spirit555

800109 at Wolverton last I heard.

43300 has not yet been scrapped by the way.

Mark

221101 Voyager

Established Member
What's the progress on 800109, everything has been silent for months?

I've seen the roof of it at the Works again today, so it's clearly still there. How did they transport it to the Works, was it by road?

Established Member
What's the progress on 800109, everything has been silent for months?

I've seen the roof of it at the Works again today, so it's clearly still there. How did they transport it to the Works, was it by road?
I remember seeing a video of the unit going through Leeds. I would imagine it went to a suitable location to be loaded onto a lorry (maybe Doncaster).

Established Member
Do you or anyone else know how they are progressing with the unit?

I've heard March at the earliest before it's back in service. Various people say its all sat outside still at Wolverton, with not much apparently happening.....

HSP 2

Why not just take the unit back to Newton Aycliffe where it was built or assembled? Shorter road or rail journey, also they would have the assembly jigs so it should be easer to check the alignment of the coaches and font cars.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I've heard March at the earliest before it's back in service. Various people say its all sat outside still at Wolverton, with not much apparently happening.....
March 2021! By that point it would've been out of service more than it's been in service I imagine! :o

Edit just found a March 2020 satellite image showing how 800109 is sparead out across the site. Coaches circled in black. Only 8 6 visible at that time. (Ignore the two coaches circled that have different roofs under the Azuma as they are DMUs.) My bad sorry, I rushed to make this!
1603299431538.png

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I am guessing the RAIB handed it over a long long long time ago but not seen a final report on what happened at Neville Hill that night nearly twelve months ago.

heedfan

I am guessing the RAIB handed it over a long long long time ago but not seen a final report on what happened at Neville Hill that night nearly twelve months ago.

The investigation is currently in the consulting phase, which suggests the final report will be released soon.

westcoaster

Established Member
March 2021! By that point it would've been out of service more than it's been in service I imagine! :o

Edit just found a March 2020 satellite image showing how 800109 is sparead out across the site. Coaches circled in black. Only 8 visible at that time.
View attachment 84902
Are you sure the 2 coaches under the other 3 are part of the unit, it looks like a 2 car DMU by the exhaust stains on the roofs.also the roofs are a differnt colour and the air con units dont match the other coaches.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Are you sure the 2 coaches under the other 3 are part of the unit, it looks like a 2 car DMU by the exhaust stains on the roofs.also the roofs are a differnt colour and the air con units dont match the other coaches.
Yes they are indeed DMUs, I made this very quickly so didn’t notice that initially. So correction, there are only 6 coaches visible.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I am outside the works now and can see a part of 800109 on an alleys lorry so it should be leaving tonight at some point.

does anyone know what time it’s due out?

Attachments

• F8C23111-3D0B-4A65-9B67-8CDD32759E85.jpeg
    F8C23111-3D0B-4A65-9B67-8CDD32759E85.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 334
Last edited:

Established Member
I am outside the works now and can see a part of 800109 on an alleys lorry so it should be leaving tonight at some point.

does anyone know what time it’s due out?
I saw them 2 at Hitachi Aycliffe this morning

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a note that the accident report can be found here. Further discussion of the accident itself should be confined to that thread. Updates as to the unit involved would be welcome on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.