• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
The questions haven't really been answered satisfactorily. They are losing time on almost every section including the crucial sub-100mph sections where their superior low speed acceleration is supposed to improve journey times.

It's the end to end journey time that is the determining factor here, not the individual point to point timings. The match varies, depending on the individual point to points but station dwells do provide a handy catch up factor.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

irish_rail

Established Member
Followed an iep today from Wooton Bassett to paddington , continually catching it up, it certainly was no match for the performance of my 2 + 7 HST. The future indeed ....

initiation

First IEP train ride for me, Bristol to Yatton. Currently in coach B.

First impressions are nice airy light environment. White lights are a little harsh but not massively so. Seats are a tad hard, arm rests a little low but plenty of legroom. Unlike the voyagers, they haven't built it like a Faraday cage so you can actually get signal.

We lept away from platform 12 much quicker than a HST. Particularly important on the Weston/Taunton runs with lots of stops. Engine noise is very good.

Edit: first stop, jeez, the nee naw door jingle thing is unnecessarily loud.

Marklund

BMU is not a new term. The French have had the separate distinction for Bi-Mode units for the last 13 years, with such units having a "B" prefix as opposed to "X" for diesel only or "Z" for electric only units.

DMU - Diesel Multiple Unit
EMU - Electric Multiple Unit
BMU - Bi-Mode Multiple Unit

CMU - Composite Multiple Unit
(any of the above in multiple with another type. eg trains formed of DMU in multiple with an EMU as occurs in Denmark, and perhaps used to happen on the SR?)

Oh, it's definitely not new. The BMU has been around for, oh, nearly 60 years!
http://railcar.co.uk/type/battery-multiple-unit/

irish_rail

Established Member
If only we'd had the forethought to electrify the route...
Yes, pity they are only electrifying a part of it and not everyone will enjoy the benefits of the performance of the electric trains. Have read elsewhere the 802 managed just 90mph up whiteball for example, not exactly going to be an improvement for those in the southwest (a HST would be doing 95-99mph at top )

D365

Veteran Member
What I meant is that battery trains were developed before the BMU and IPEMU designations were adopted.

Though off-topic to the Class 800, apologies.

Marklund

The Battery Multiple Unit was a BMU long before the current incarnation of BMU.
I do chuckle when terms are re-invented for things that have been around since Adam was a lad and shown off as all shiny and new. :)

And yes, thread drift. I'm done.

jayah

On Moderation
Yes, pity they are only electrifying a part of it and not everyone will enjoy the benefits of the performance of the electric trains. Have read elsewhere the 802 managed just 90mph up whiteball for example, not exactly going to be an improvement for those in the southwest (a HST would be doing 95-99mph at top )

Probably not that surprising given Class 802 only has 5 powered engines for 9 26m vehicles.

Class 390/0 weighs 466t for 9 23m vehicles and the Class 802 is apparently 438t for 9 26m vehicles. Something Modern Railways might do well to remember when constantly slagging off Bi-Mode as an overweight EMU.

Even 6/9 powered vehicles would put it streets ahead of any HST which have at 10-11hp/t.

Ginaro

Video comparing HST v IET departing Chippenham on diesel: https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/935188418652524544

Saw someone in the replies complaining that the IET struggle to do much more than 115mph uphill on diesel when the HST could easily achieve 125mph line speed. I don't know the Great Western route in detail - are there places that will not electrified before say 2020, which actually have a line speed of 125mph (or >115)?

wbm00

Is that full acceleration from the GWR HST? Notch 5 departure from this HST appears to pull away more quickly:

(just an observation about the HST's sluggish getaway... not trying to denigrate the IET in any way)

JN114

Established Member
Video comparing HST v IET departing Chippenham on diesel: https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/935188418652524544

Saw someone in the replies complaining that the IET struggle to do much more than 115mph uphill on diesel when the HST could easily achieve 125mph line speed. I don't know the Great Western route in detail - are there places that will not electrified before say 2020, which actually have a line speed of 125mph (or >115)?

The 110+ running on Diesel will be very limited once the current commited electrification is completed. Short stretch from Thingley towards Bath and that’s it.

Mugby

Established Member
Something tells me that the IETs will often turn up short-formed because one of the sets becomes unavailable.

gsnedders

Established Member
Something tells me that the IETs will often turn up short-formed because one of the sets becomes unavailable.
That'll cost Hitachi dearly. Remember the entire IEP procurement contract only sees them get paid for diagrams run.

D1009

Established Member
The 110+ running on Diesel will be very limited once the current commited electrification is completed. Short stretch from Thingley towards Bath and that’s it.
It's the opposite direction that could be an issue because of the climb through Box Tunnel to Corsham. I have yet to experience an 800 on that stretch.

ooo

That's a lot better than having absolutely no train which is the case when they are full length

jimm

Established Member

More doom-mongering about the 800s...who'd have thought it?

This 'something' would be what exactly?

In case you're forgetting, 35 of the GWR IETs will be nine-car anyway. And if an HST breaks at the moment, then Oxford/Cotswold services turn up short-formed by a 180 (if passengers are lucky and one is available) or a Turbo, sometimes just a two-car one.

Phil G

On the 8:17 today from Chippenham nice sharp acceleration from the platform then equally sharp breaking before clearing the platform! Fault with on board safety system apparently, took 15 mins to fix. Just seen first 802 at temple meads. interesting paper stickers in window saying kasado works 48th shipment.

Master29

Established Member
Hi all. Newbie here. Couldn`t find a welcome to new members page so I`ll just start here on a very topical subject. I haven`t had the privilege to go on an 800 as yet but looking forward to it as there are clearly mixed reviews and need to form my own opinion. Look very smart for sure but the HST will prove a tough act to follow.

reddragon

Established Member
Hi all. Newbie here. Couldn`t find a welcome to new members page so I`ll just start here on a very topical subject. I haven`t had the privilege to go on an 800 as yet but looking forward to it as there are clearly mixed reviews and need to form my own opinion. Look very smart for sure but the HST will prove a tough act to follow.
Welcome to the forum

The class 800s have plus & minus points compared with a HST

plus = faster on electric, better ambience inside overall, quiet on diesel, excellent leg room better views out due to lower seat backs
minus = slower on diesel, hard seats, some body shell resonance that annoys!
contention = plenty!

jimm

Established Member
Let's be honest, reliability is not what it should be right now. Plenty of teething troubles that need to be resolved.

Are these teething troubles taking one set of a 2x5 formation out of service on a regular basis? If so, I would expect to have heard about it - and let's face it, some people posting here would surely be revelling in it if that kind of thing was happening. Over their working lives, there will inevitably be some IET failures, but that's a bit different from

the IETs will often turn up short-formed

MG11

I watched a YouTube video, Paul's Trip Reports, he travelled First Class and the FCHs were wearing a different uniform to normal GWR staff, burgundy shift dresses, is this a permenant change or just for the launch trip?

swaldman

Forgive the confusion of a newbie, but what's the actual difference between 800 and 802? As I understand it they're both bi-mode versions of the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.