• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes, a gwr driver that I spoke to said that they are planning to maybe use 802s in the Pembroke dock summer service as it has to run on diesel for a long time and the gradients change. And also that some hsts may do a service from cardiff to penzance

That is if the Pembroke Dock runs next year. The use of HSTs from Cardiff to Penzance is actually historical news, using the shorter 4 Carriage GT1 HSTs but the modification programme of the coaches is well behind schedule.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Having ended up having to take a pair to Somerset today for work has reminded me that I have ended finding another new complaint about these units. On top of the usual already reported issues mentioned on here, I've now started to notice some a number of collapsed seat bases on a number of units of late - It may be considered minor compared to some complaints, but given how firm the seats are already, sitting on half a seat with a metal bar running half way across it for several hours is not a comfortable way to travel at all.

Linking in with another thread, I did notice that the blinds were already rattling quite badly as well.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Saw a 5 car 800 in grey (no idea if destined for LNER or GWR) with a black front pass through Welwyn Garden City today. I thought all the test trains had yellow at the front? Or maybe I'm mistaken despite seeing quite a few over the months.

Swanage98

Pretty sure I just seen a double 800 parked up out the way in Eastleigh yard, too far away to get numbers, any ideas?

gordonjahn

Pretty sure I just seen a double 800 parked up out the way in Eastleigh yard, too far away to get numbers, any ideas?
800109 went down to Eastleigh on 4th September according to Railway Herald
full

cambsy

On Moderation
On my trip to Penzance last week, I got talking to a couple of hitachi engineers on 800 012 about what horsepower the 800’s can run up to at the moment. And they said they are trialling different engine running to come to an agreed figure with the DFT etc, between 750-940 hp, and from what they said they also looking at the 802’s, I know only hear say that’s why I’m asking the question.

What is the official maximum horsepower for the 800’s and 802’s or is it in flux at the moment, till its all agreed and signed off?

BRX

Established Member
Another pair of 802s delivered to North Pole this morning.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Please note that the discussion around Class 800s and the electrical interference issues found on the Northern end of the ECML can now be found in its own dedicated thread which is located here.

Apedlar12

802010 and 802005 are both on the Penzance diagram today so it looks like 802010 is on its first day of revenue service :)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The failure of a pair of 800s in the Exeter area is significant enough (considering the length of time it took to recover the situation) to warrant it's own thread so that discussion has been moved to a new thread which can be found here.

jimm

Established Member
Overnight outstabling of an 800 at Worcester started on Monday apparently. Works up from London on the previous evening's 20.22 Paddington-Great Malvern, then operates the 05.11 from Worcester the next morning.

michael74

Had my first ride on an 802 13:03 9 car Paddington - Plymouth today.

Engines were on and the pantograph remained down, I was looking forward to experiencing the difference. Either way, I was very impressed with the speed off from the standing start, makes the 43 feel like a lumbering cart when starting off. During the journey the rumble of the engines was noticeable but not overly intrusive, but then if your used to not having an engine beneath you it will be, I am sure soon enough, no-one will care.

The interior was very clinical compared to a class 43 its easy to call them almost boring and almost surgical but I am sure it wont look that way in 40 years compared to what the new stock will be, I am sure its what people thought on introduction of the 125's, I liked it. I could rest my arm on the window ledge (its the small things in life). The seats were slightly orthopaedic, but I didn't get a numb bum, which I do off Voyager seats. The automated announcements and interior /exterior PIS wasn't working the guard had to make all the station stop announcements and they all kept omitting Newton Abbot for some reason and then at Bath Spa they must have forgotten to announce that the rear door of coach A was off the platform and nearly over carried a load of passengers I ended up telling them they need to get up the other end of the carriage, pronto. The PIS and announcements suddenly started working just after Exeter and announced we were stopping at all of the stations between Exeter and Plymouth, the Train Manager had to keep interrupting her (how very rude...), in the end he must have muted her.... The clock was wrong (1 minute slow), so I assume some sort of GPS issue.

The buffet cart didn't get to Coach A until Taunton (2.5 hours) despite announcing he was starting down the train just out of Paddington, the train wasn't that busy, but I still thought an overly long time, but if I was desperate for an overpriced cuppa of lukewarm tea, I could have found him.

Getting off at Newton Abbot, the automated announcer unmuted herself and informed the train that the rear carriages doors will not open and we should all move up to carriage H, needless to say I didn't and the doors opened.

All in all teething troubles aside, I liked it. Looking forward to more journeys

Mintona

Established Member
Had my first ride on an 802 13:03 9 car Paddington - Plymouth today.

Engines were on and the pantograph remained down, I was looking forward to experiencing the difference. Either way, I was very impressed with the speed off from the standing start, makes the 43 feel like a lumbering cart when starting off. During the journey the rumble of the engines was noticeable but not overly intrusive, but then if your used to not having an engine beneath you it will be, I am sure soon enough, no-one will care.

The interior was very clinical compared to a class 43 its easy to call them almost boring and almost surgical but I am sure it wont look that way in 40 years compared to what the new stock will be, I am sure its what people thought on introduction of the 125's, I liked it. I could rest my arm on the window ledge (its the small things in life). The seats were slightly orthopaedic, but I didn't get a numb bum, which I do off Voyager seats. The automated announcements and interior /exterior PIS wasn't working the guard had to make all the station stop announcements and they all kept omitting Newton Abbot for some reason and then at Bath Spa they must have forgotten to announce that the rear door of coach A was off the platform and nearly over carried a load of passengers I ended up telling them they need to get up the other end of the carriage, pronto. The PIS and announcements suddenly started working just after Exeter and announced we were stopping at all of the stations between Exeter and Plymouth, the Train Manager had to keep interrupting her (how very rude...), in the end he must have muted her.... The clock was wrong (1 minute slow), so I assume some sort of GPS issue.

The buffet cart didn't get to Coach A until Taunton (2.5 hours) despite announcing he was starting down the train just out of Paddington, the train wasn't that busy, but I still thought an overly long time, but if I was desperate for an overpriced cuppa of lukewarm tea, I could have found him.

Getting off at Newton Abbot, the automated announcer unmuted herself and informed the train that the rear carriages doors will not open and we should all move up to carriage H, needless to say I didn't and the doors opened.

All in all teething troubles aside, I liked it. Looking forward to more journeys

The train definitely ran on electric from Paddington to Reading. The engines were shut down around 10 minutes before departure and electric mode selected.

Last edited:

michael74

The train definitely ran on electric from Paddington to Reading. The engines were shut down around 10 minutes before departure and electric mode selected.

Well that is testament to the diesel engines because I didn't notice, I wonder if I didn't notice the rumble of the engines stop at Paddington before departure as I had tuned them out? But I did re-notice them later on the journey. Out of interest why would the engines be on at Paddington while waiting for boarding anyway, only to be shutdown 10 minutes before departure?

Mintona

Established Member
Well that is testament to the diesel engines because I didn't notice, I wonder if I didn't notice the rumble of the engines stop at Paddington before departure as I had tuned them out? But I did re-notice them later on the journey. Out of interest why would the engines be on at Paddington while waiting for boarding anyway, only to be shutdown 10 minutes before departure?

The set came from North Pole on diesel, and so was left like that until the driver was getting the train ready for service.

Phil G

Went on 800003 for first time today, just 1&2 left. What struck me was given it's only just entered service how poorly the vinyls are lasting, the train looked shabby and dirty and there were areas around the windows where the vinyl was peeling off. The painted 9 cars look much better.

D1009

Established Member
Went on 800003 for first time today, just 1&2 left. What struck me was given it's only just entered service how poorly the vinyls are lasting, the train looked shabby and dirty and there were areas around the windows where the vinyl was peeling off. The painted 9 cars look much better.
Not sure 800004 has entered passenger service yet, it was reported testing the extended siding at Bedwyn last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.