• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Bedwyn test train was formed directly off 1P24 1101 Oxford - Paddington (instead of working ECS to North Pole as it would do normally)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
I’ve been on 800004 in service a couple of times. Not had 003 yet but I’m getting there with clearing the fleet. 7 to go I believe (including 001 and 002).

CptCharlee

What's this about the possibility of some 800s being converted into 7 carriage units for west of England services.

Surely the fact that platforms west of Plymouth couldn't handle 10 carriages was known and therefore 2x5 IET sets not being able to platform together was considered.

Then again weren't orginal plans for a 5 car Penzance to Plymouth and joining another 5 car set at Plymouth?

59CosG95

Established Member
What's this about the possibility of some 800s being converted into 7 carriage units for west of England services.

Surely the fact that platforms west of Plymouth couldn't handle 10 carriages was known and therefore 2x5 IET sets not being able to platform together was considered.

Then again weren't orginal plans for a 5 car Penzance to Plymouth and joining another 5 car set at Plymouth?
Sounds like absolute bunkum to me. The 802s were deliberately ordered for WoE services, and they (like the 800s) have SDO fitted. There seems to be little point in such a motion, given that GWR themselves haven't (to my knowledge) requested them to be 7 coaches long. The only 7-coach trains west of Exeter will be XC's sliding-door HSTs.

michael74

Sounds like absolute bunkum to me. The 802s were deliberately ordered for WoE services, and they (like the 800s) have SDO fitted. There seems to be little point in such a motion, given that GWR themselves haven't (to my knowledge) requested them to be 7 coaches long. The only 7-coach trains west of Exeter will be XC's sliding-door HSTs.

I hope they sort out the SDO announcements, as per my last post here, no announcement (automated or manual) at Bath Spa where one was needed and then there was an automated one at Newton Abbot (telling everyone to go to H) where it wasn't needed :lol:

Phil G

I’ve been on 800004 in service a couple of times. Not had 003 yet but I’m getting there with clearing the fleet. 7 to go I believe (including 001 and 002).
They started me recording numbers again after 40 years but only to see if i can travel on all of them! I've now been on all the 800/0s except 1 and 2 although i've only had 7 as part of a 10 car i was riding in the other unit. Only been on 5 9 cars so far (plus 13 twice!).

Butts

Veteran Member
I had the misfortune to travel in 1st Class on one of these between Newport and London on Tuesday returning today.

Not a patch on the HST's for comfort and space.

Seems the crew don't like them either. The Guy on the trolley passed disparaging remarks about the 800's which amounted them to being inferior to their predecessors in every respect - in relation to his experience.

Thunderer

I had the misfortune to travel in 1st Class on one of these between Newport and London on Tuesday returning today.

Seems the crew don't like them either. The Guy on the trolley passed disparaging remarks about the 800's which amounted them to being inferior to their predecessors in every respect - in relation to his experience.
Funny enough, every crew member I have spoken to over the last 12 months on board the 800 dislikes them. None of the staff have got a good word to say about them. I notice now on some of the original older 800's, the cheap and nasty plastic interior is starting to rattle ( just like on the Voyagers, but not as bad) - they'll all be up for an internal refit within 5 years I reckon.

I’ve spoken to Drivers who have the opposite opinion, they much prefer them to HST, quieter, more comfortable and cleaner, so I wouldn’t say the opinion is across the board. It’s hardly surprising that buffet crew don’t like having to pull a trolley through a crowded train, rather than stand behind a counter, I don’t think I’d be happy either.

CMRail

I’ve spoken to Drivers who have the opposite opinion, they much prefer them to HST, quieter, more comfortable and cleaner, so I wouldn’t say the opinion is across the board. It’s hardly surprising that buffet crew don’t like having to pull a trolley through a crowded train, rather than stand behind a counter, I don’t think I’d be happy either.

And the catering staff love it, hiding in the kitchen and having it to themselves most of the time. Train Managers not so much due to there loss of door open operation and they don’t have an office to themselves, other than that, from my experience staff do like them.

Tommy Walters

On 800004 working 1A28 at the moment. Stopped very harshly outside Didcot, then continued on diesel power to Reading, where we switched to electric as per normal. Can anyone explain why this happened?? Temporary fault or can the pantograph not be raised at speed in high winds??

CMRail

On 800004 working 1A28 at the moment. Stopped very harshly outside Didcot, then continued on diesel power to Reading, where we switched to electric as per normal. Can anyone explain why this happened?? Temporary fault or can the pantograph not be raised at speed in high winds??

Driver error/train fault? Winds don’t effect pantographs, all have to be held up by safe equipment.

FGW_DID

Established Member

Driver error/train fault? Winds don’t effect pantographs, all have to be held up by safe equipment.

There was some damage reported to the OLE this afternoon between Moreton Cutting & Tilehurst, the Mains were blocked to Electric Traction.

Tommy Walters

Thanks for your explanation, felt like the emergency brakes were deployed at first, gradually becoming less harsh at around 50mph - so driver error seems more likely perhaps. Defintely wasn't signal related as we stopped across the junction west of Didcot with a voyager waiting to cross!!

387star

On Moderation
Funny enough, every crew member I have spoken to over the last 12 months on board the 800 dislikes them. None of the staff have got a good word to say about them. I notice now on some of the original older 800's, the cheap and nasty plastic interior is starting to rattle ( just like on the Voyagers, but not as bad) - they'll all be up for an internal refit within 5 years I reckon.
Same when the 377s replaced the slammers I remember a driver at bognor saying what a load of junk the new trains wers

trebor79

Established Member
Well that is testament to the diesel engines because I didn't notice, I wonder if I didn't notice the rumble of the engines stop at Paddington before departure as I had tuned them out?

On my one class 800 trip the only time I noticed the engines was when they were shut down!
I thought they were very unobtrusive until we stopped at Reading and switched to electric. Whilst in the station the engines went down to idle, unfortunately this speed seems to be the same as the resonant frequency of a lot of interior fittings and was very noticeable and annoying. I hoped it was just some cool down routine and they would actually shut down complete, which they thankfully did with a huge shudder.

Roger100

I’ve spoken to Drivers who have the opposite opinion, they much prefer them to HST, quieter, more comfortable and cleaner, so I wouldn’t say the opinion is across the board.

Quite, HSTs spray their toilet contents onto the outside of the trains, especially the drivers ends. Those who work on the tracks will probably be pleased to see the end of this too, especially those who have to change the sheeting between the rails at Paddington etc. And passengers who might wonder if it lands on the door handles.

ChilternTurbo

I notice now on some of the original older 800's, the cheap and nasty plastic interior is starting to rattle ( just like on the Voyagers, but not as bad) - they'll all be up for an internal refit within 5 years I reckon.
I recently had my first trip, albeit a brief one, on an 800 and agree about the poor fit and finish of the interior. Most of the seat cover bases were looking grubby too. It's such shame that DfT specified interiors don't match the sleek external looks.

wils180

And the catering staff love it, hiding in the kitchen and having it to themselves most of the time. Train Managers not so much due to there loss of door open operation and they don’t have an office to themselves, other than that, from my experience staff do like them.

Back/ intermediate cab is a much larger and more private office than TGS ever was. Loss of door open operation is not a big deal, a lot less stressful when trying to finish off tickets; helps to get the ones that would normally just about get away. Despite that, they like us to be at the door as they open anyway. PA in every carriage is the biggest godsend however. I think they’re great fun!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Back/ intermediate cab is a much larger and more private office than TGS ever was. Loss of door open operation is not a big deal, a lot less stressful when trying to finish off tickets; helps to get the ones that would normally just about get away. Despite that, they like us to be at the door as they open anyway. PA in every carriage is the biggest godsend however. I think they’re great fun!

I do agree with you (for the reasons you state) that driver release, guard close is the optimal method of door operation on almost all train services in the UK. Good to hear that another TOC has switched to it.

Thunderer

I like the 800s. They are practical, modern, simple and have plenty of seats.
Plenty of seats? Ha!! Mine didn't yesterday about 6:30pm from Newport to Swansea..Just one 5 car 800 (800035) - standard class full and standing and I managed to get the last seat in First Class! Just what you need in the peak travelling times off London on a Friday, a 5 car sardine can.

Thunderer

I recently had my first trip, albeit a brief one, on an 800 and agree about the poor fit and finish of the interior. Most of the seat cover bases were looking grubby too. It's such shame that DfT specified interiors don't match the sleek external looks.
I agree it is a shame. Some are starting to look shabby inside already, plus the vinyls on the 800/0's are getting scratched and worn in places.

Status
Not open for further replies.