• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 86 to Bristol Temple Meads

Status
Not open for further replies.

74A

Looking forward to this possibility when the wires are up after many years of travelling behind them on the WCML.

Are there any technical reasons why this could not happen ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kentish Paul

Looking forward to this possibility when the wires are up after many years of travelling behind them on the WCML.

Are there any technical reasons why this could not happen ?

Probably not. Could turn up on a railtour. It would be dependant on signalling systems and the crews route/traction knowledge.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Probably not. Could turn up on a railtour. It would be dependant on signalling systems and the crews route/traction knowledge.

There won't be connecting wires from the WCML to GWML for a long time (CP6).
Wiring of the short but awkward gap from Acton Wells (NLL) to Acton GW (over the "Poplar Branch") has been postponed.
But nothing to stop an 86/87/90/91/92 running Paddington-Bristol (Parkway before Temple Meads) or Cardiff when wired.
Or a 313 or other ancient EMU.
I don't think anybody has proposed electric freight on the GWML yet.

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
I don't think anybody has proposed electric freight on the GWML yet.

What about the Reading-Didcot bit? The so-called 'electric spine' would have allowed (nay, required) electric freight from Southampton to 'the midlands'.

That said, I think enthusiasm for the electric spine has waned somewhat.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Probably because they haven't figured out how to switch from 3rd rail to OHLE without bringing South West Trains to it's knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.