• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 86?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Says it's on bvetrains.co.uk, but that sites down.
It also says (at the top of the page in a clear 'Information' box) the following...

Some links may take you to the BVETrains.co.uk site which used to be a comprehensive collection of BVE2 trains that included an astonishing number of classes. Unfortunately it has closed down, however you may still be able to gain access to the site via the Internet Archive's free 'Wayback Machine'. A direct link to the last recorded BVETrains.co.uk entry can be found by clicking here. Please note that some bits such as the images may be slow to load so just give it a bit of time.
Alternatively some can be found at this temporary Train Sim Central link. The BVE2 trains there are those required by Train Sim Central's routes.

LondonBVE

Sad it is not in there, I went to search from oldest to newest. Probably you will have to ask someone else who have it. Anyway why do you need it, if no one really have it, just change the train if the route required the train.

foxkid

The reason I want it is to have a more classical piece of BR Traction Power.

TomBoyRacer

One was done for BVE V2 a long time ago which appeared in Beta format. It was pretty good too. I don't have it and i can't remember for the life of me who it was that built it. It's down to them if they want to release it. I was at one time working on a class 84 but abandoned it due to lack of loco sounds. i'd imagine now any class 86 will be done to BVE V4 standards in anticipation of Watford Junction- Rugby but i haven't seen anyone say they're doing this. Also is the problem of how exactly the notch indicator and ammeters are to be done given they are horizontal bars that rise vertically

Simon_G

Also is the problem of how exactly the notch indicator and ammeters are to be done given they are horizontal bars that rise vertically
Could you not do them in the same way as 'parallel' type windscreen wipers, as meters with very long needles to reduce the angular movement? If all but a short segment of the needle bitmap was transparent you'd probably get something pretty close to the desired effect. A pukka linear meter would be preferable though!

In my (perhaps somewhat biased) opinion, it's the limit of 8 power notches that really prevents a worthwhile BVE4 model of any of the older AC locos with tap changer control.

TomBoyRacer

I did think about doing that but wouldn't they then cross into adjacent meters?

bascially some kind of plug in that allows notching commands to be sent to BVE to simulate a tap changer would also be needed. i've no idea on how to write plugins that interface with BVE! I did have a brief email exchange with someone at the AC loco group about if it would be possible to visit and them run the motors for me but this never got off the ground and i don't know that the motors on the 84 are even servicable! they did run the 81 motor blowers quite recently though. if anyone actually has any sound recordings of any early AC loco 81-85 i might be interested in restarting the project time permitting

Simon_G

I did think about doing that but wouldn't they then cross into adjacent meters?
Presumably not if you made all but a short length of the needle bitmap transparent?

bascially some kind of plug in that allows notching commands to be sent to BVE to simulate a tap changer would also be needed.
You'd have to model the tap-changer within the plugin, Tom, and just send the resulting power notch to BVE. That would actually be fairly easy. The difficulty is that BVE only allows 8 power notches, whereas tap changers had up to 30 or more steps and could take half a minute or more to run right through them, which was where the challenge of driving them lay (lots of anticipation needed). As far as I can see, in BVE you'd be faced with the choice of being able to notch up far too quickly (too easy to drive!), or making the time delay between each notch extremely long and confusing for the driver. Either way, it doesn't really capture the character of the loco.

Having said that, I need to produce a plugin for Zane's Class 90 sometime, so if someone wants to build an 'electronic' 86 let me know.

foxkid

I can't find cab pics after a year or so. Does anyone have the Class 86? This is one I'd hate to be without. Very classic BR Traction, plus the whole three window thing is neat.

Turbostar

As you've been told before, make it yourself, as that's the easiest way your gonna get it, as no-one is making one! No-one is gonna drop everything & make one just for you, there are other things, both routes & trains, being made. Bit harsh, but that's the way it goes.

Mart

foxkid

I'm not asking ANYONE to make it. I'm asking someone that has it to email it to me when they can, bloody hell, is that such a problem to the point where you're fussing at me like that?

Simon_G

One was done for BVE V2 a long time ago which appeared in Beta format. ... I don't have it and i can't remember for the life of me who it was that built it. It's down to them if they want to release it.
I think it was Robert Glass, possibly with sounds by John Owen. The thing is, foxkid, anyone who has this has only a beta version, which means that they don't have the builders' permission to pass it on to anyone else. Due to some very unpleasant occurrences in the past, that's taken pretty seriously in BVE, even for relics like the 86.

Robert doesn't seem to be active in BVE any more, but I think John is still around on some of the forums - you might try contacting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.