• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 87 on the GWML

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsy47

So I had to do a double take just now as I’ve just seen a Class 87 at the loop near Hayes and Harlington with its pan up. It’s got me wondering, since the GWML has been energised, have there been any unusual AC locos or units running on the route. I still can’t think how it got there as I don’t think there’s any OLE link to other routes??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
87002 is showing on a tops list as working:

0Z12 Wembley LHS - Didcot West End!

Hellfire! o_Oo_O

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
It will then haul the final leg of a Victoria-Bridgend-Paddington charter this evening. Hellfire indeed!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just seen it pass through Twyford - heading to Reading now to see it pass through there. Its under its own power!

The_Train

Established Member
Oh good lord, there is an 87 out there working on the mainline and I'm sat miles away from it watching hollyoaks o_O:|:(:'(

Edit: we definitely need some pics

FGW_DID

Established Member
Currently sat in Kennet Loop at Reading, booked there until 19:16. Due Didcot just after 20:00.

tomsy47

So I wasn’t going mad!! I did have a tough day at work so was wondering. I’m at Didcot now so try and get somewhere close by to see it pass.

gazthomas

Established Member
Yes, I'm on the railtour at Didcot West with 87002 just about to drop on to take me to Paddington. Hellfire indeed. I will take a picture

pdeaves

Established Member
There is probably no reason why it would happen but, as it's in Sleeper livery, I think it would be interesting parked with the GWR sleeper carriages.

6Gman

Established Member
87002 hauled the inaugural electric-hauled VIP special Preston - Euston.

My father was the Driver.

Go 87002 ! :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
87002 hauled the inaugural electric-hauled VIP special Preston - Euston.

My father was the Driver.

Go 87002 ! :D
That’s amazing 6G.
I wonder what he’d have thought if told that the same machine would pass through Reading under its own power over 40 years later?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Here's a shot of 87002 in her youth (in fact virtually brand new out of Crewe Works) 45 years ago at Manchester Piccadilly awaiting departure with an IC service for London Euston.

Attachments

• IMG_2271.JPG
    IMG_2271.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 237

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Here's a shot of 87002 in her youth (in fact virtually brand new out of Crewe Works) 45 years ago at Manchester Piccadilly awaiting departure with an IC service for London Euston.
That’s wonderful.
There was something special about the 87s.
Premier cutting edge 1970s electric traction in original BR blue. Mmm... :smile:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
That’s wonderful.
There was something special about the 87s.
Premier cutting edge 1970s electric traction in original BR blue. Mmm... :smile:

Yes definitely, and still looking great in its present day Caledonian Sleeper livery. Can't quite get my head around that shot above at Paddington though!

EE Andy b1

Established Member
View attachment 52832 It certainly flew after Reading :D

Great picture and a bit of history in the making.

I believe this 87 and the other AC loco's will be finishing with Caledonian once the Mk5 sleepers come into operation. Will be such a shame.

I had the privilege of driving Class 87s over two different periods in my railway career. The first was mainly on freight under British Rail as was and secondly when i moved to Virgin Trains. Even then with there age and the mileage they had done they were still a superb locomotive to work with and to my mind much better than the Class 90 that followed.
The fact that these loco's are still working in Bulgaria says plenty and surely we could have kept them going for more years in the UK. Freightliner for one.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Oh good lord, there is an 87 out there working on the mainline and I'm sat miles away from it watching hollyoaks o_O:|:(:'(

Edit: we definitely need some pics
Technically it’s always on the mainline - it works in and out of the head of the West Coast one pretty much daily so don’t worry too much. PS: I hope Nancy finds out about Darren and Mandy ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Got to sa ythe 20's sounded good at Blethcley this morning. Does anyone know if the tour paused briefly at Blethcley to pick up a new driver? It was signaled straight through but cam to a stand in P5

The_Train

Established Member
Technically it’s always on the mainline - it works in and out of the head of the West Coast one pretty much daily so don’t worry too much. PS: I hope Nancy finds out about Darren and Mandy ;)

Doesn't meet my needs though ;) Until it is back working Euston-Manchester or Glasgow I won't be happy :E

PS: Nancy always finds out.....8-)

Status
Not open for further replies.