• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 87

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Just seen 87 002 at Nuneaton hauling ex virgin trains coaching stock. Does anybody know what this was for? It was running as 1Z77 from London Euston to Stoke-On-Trent. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mordac

Established Member
By god - I loved those machines - I racked up some mileage behind them. 87004 is my top one though. Great to see some still getting used.

That's the only serviceable one left in the UK, though a few other ones are still working abroad.

6Gman

Established Member
By god - I loved those machines - I racked up some mileage behind them. 87004 is my top one though. Great to see some still getting used.

87002 worked the inaugural VIP special from Preston to Euston following electrification.

And my dad drove it!

It holds a special place in my affections.

Master29

Established Member
They would have all been very pleased with themselves on the return journey too.

HLE

Established Member

In Bulgaria I believe, still going strong.

Established Member
Should be sitting pretty on the blocks at Central this morning after working the northbound sleeper due to a faulty skoda...

Kentish Paul

Snap. I remember my ALR (All line rover) trips in the late 70s and early 80s. As someone who lived in Penzance at the time to be hauled by an electric locomotive was fantastic. Also loved the other AC electrics. Remember a great trip behind an 81 when the 86 failed at Watford heading north and the 81 took over.:)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
How I love the 87s. Probably my all time favourite train (tied with the 47s although an 87 has more appeal at the mo' because of the rarity and the fact I haven't had one in years). Really fond memories of them at MK.

Fantastic machines - grew up on the WCML, so much better than their predecessors. Very pleased to see 87002 a few weeks back on a footex.

There's some great videos on YouTube from the drivers cab, Euston to Watford, and one in the snow over Shap... Happy days...

Class 81s rocked as well... Had some great late night rides behind them, always better than an 86....

sprinterguy

Established Member
It's always good to see an 87 in the familiar environs of Euston, particularly at the head of a Virgin liveried rake of mark 2s. :)

My favourite class of electric loco; I've nothing against 86s, but the 87s had a certain presence to them, I think at least partly down to the romanticism attached to them being built specifically for the Anglo-Scottish expresses.

I have fond memories of them rolling into the sodium lighted glow of Carlisle station at night, the narrow beam of the headlight that gave rise to their nickname of "lasers" cutting through the darkness on the approach, or of them ticking and pinging restlessly during afternoon stopovers at the north end of said station and at Penrith. Happy days. :)

Minilad

Established Member
87s were my first (railway) love. I cut my bashing teeth doing 87s all day on a West Mids travelcard in the late 70 early 80s before moving on to more exotic things like Deltics. But they will always hold a special place in my affections.
I was so glad I managed to drive a few in service too. Wonderful machines

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes I know, which was why I presumed it would be the default choice for GBRf for tomorrows Pines Express... but apparently 87002 is being used instead...

It was originally going to be 86101 or 86401.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
87002 worked the inaugural VIP special from Preston to Euston following electrification.

And my dad drove it!

It holds a special place in my affections.

Just for you, here's a scan from one my early slides showing 87002 at Manchester Piccadilly awaiting departure time for London Euston when she was brand new, the slide is dated July 1973, would it have been the year after when the inaugural train ran? looks like a typical summer day by Manchester standards. :lol:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just for you, here's a scan from one my early slides showing 87002 at Manchester Piccadilly awaiting departure time for London Euston when she was brand new, the slide is dated July 1973, would it have been the year after when the inaugural train ran? looks like a typical summer day by Manchester standards. :lol:

Those were the days on the WCML when you felt you were joining a "big proper train" - these days boarding a long smelly plastic tube (regardless of how fast it goes) just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid :(

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Those were the days on the WCML when you felt you were joining a "big proper train" - these days boarding a long smelly plastic tube (regardless of how fast it goes) just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid :(

Yes, everything you say, even a proper buffet/bar counter where you could purchase a drink with the advantage of an area that you could comfortably stand and consume it in if you so wished.

Status
Not open for further replies.