• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 90s out of Liverpool Street to Stratford

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramdan

I'm wanting to get the thoughts of someone more familiar with Liverpool Street and Stratford stations. In early September I'm travelling to London in the hope of travelling on as many different TOPS classes as I can in the day.

I have been informed that the class 90 hauled mk3 sets that are used on the Norwich services out of Liverpool Street are officially pick up only on the down set down only in the up direction.

A previous thread from around 4 years ago on the forum suggested that this is rarely enforced. I wondered if this is still the case, or if anything has changed in the last 4 years?

As an aside, I also wondered what the reasons are for this restriction?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Whether or not the pick up/set down restriction is enforced is irrelevant as using them on a Travelcard or Oyster would be travelling on them without a valid ticket - they are not advertised at Liverpool Street as calling at Stratford, and vice versa.

The reason for this is to stop Liverpool Street to Stratford passengers using the InterCity services between these stations - there are plenty of alternative services available between Liverpool Street and Stratford - around the same time as the Norwich service customers have a choice of departures from Liverpool Street to Stratford at xx:30, xx:35 and xx:38 as well as the Central Line.

NSE

Established Member
The Stansted Express are also advertised on the main board as not stopping at Tottenham Hale, however I always used it to go back to Tottenham. Interestingly, they did have Tottenham advertised on the platform indicators and on the side of the train. Sounds like that isn't as officially set down/pick up as the Norwich one, but I never had a problem with it.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've used a class 90 between Stratford and Liverpool Street and I didn't have a problem, but the train was quite full.

Kristofferson

I commute northbound on this regularly. Ticket checks take place after Stratford. Always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fowler9

Established Member
Whether or not the pick up/set down restriction is enforced is irrelevant as using them on a Travelcard or Oyster would be travelling on them without a valid ticket - they are not advertised at Liverpool Street as calling at Stratford, and vice versa.

The reason for this is to stop Liverpool Street to Stratford passengers using the InterCity services between these stations - there are plenty of alternative services available between Liverpool Street and Stratford - around the same time as the Norwich service customers have a choice of departures from Liverpool Street to Stratford at xx:30, xx:35 and xx:38 as well as the Central Line.

If you get on the train knowing it stops at Stratford and there is nothing telling you your ticket is invalid have you travelled without a valid ticket just because the PIS doesn't say it stops at Stratford? Serious question.

The PIS on the South Parkway to Preston 319 service said the next stop after Parkway was Edge Hill for a while, if I had a single to Lime Street would I have been travelling without a valid ticket?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
If I walked on to a MK3 at Liverpool street, knowing it would stop at Stratford, but without it being advertised, would I have to pay, or could I do it on oyster card?

Kristofferson

You'd have to pay the fare to Chelmsford or Colchester.

fowler9

Established Member

But if you knew the train stopped at Stratford and there is no sign saying you can't get on it knowing that would you be charged? Not being difficult here by the way, serious question as I have done hops to pick up only stations over the years.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator

Surely you could just touch in and out and nobody would notice, as the tickets would not be checked due to the ticket machines?

EM2

Established Member
But if you knew the train stopped at Stratford and there is no sign saying you can't get on it knowing that would you be charged? Not being difficult here by the way, serious question as I have done hops to pick up only stations over the years.
It's difficult. The train is not advertised as stopping at Stratford, so that is, in effect, saying that you can't get on it (because it doesn't call where you want to go). If you decide to catch it because in your experience it always has stopped there, but for some reason they decide to cancel that pick-up stop, you'd be on a rather sticky wicket when there's a ticket check...

fowler9

Established Member
It's difficult. The train is not advertised as stopping at Stratford, so that is, in effect, saying that you can't get on it (because it doesn't call where you want to go). If you decide to catch it because in your experience it always has stopped there, but for some reason they decide to cancel that pick-up stop, you'd be on a rather sticky wicket when there's a ticket check...

Yeah, very good point. Not something I would risk anyway with an older and wiser head on my shoulders. More something I dd when younger and out bashing. I'm sure Runcorn used to be pick up only heading out of Liverpool at certain times but I'd do it on Network Northwest Day Rangers. If it had gone wrong I guess I could have stayed on to Crewe (Which I would do anyway sometimes depending on what moves I had planned, main nuisance was the gap between Wigan and Warrington you couldn't use the rover on and I never risked).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Although it is some months since I have been to Statford, the last few times I have been there the up services have appeared on the platform indicators* as "London Liverpool Street" like with any other train that calls there.

So unless they've stopped doing that, it should be do-able on the up services at least?

*That is, on the actual platform - I didn't look at the full departures listings boards as well.

Dhassell

Ive been on a service Out to Stratford and into Stratford on 90's not once questioned. Station staff couldn't give a c**p. you should be fine.

noddy1878

Established Member
How did you know which platform to go to?

Most of them all go from the same the platform. If I remember correctly it's 9 going in and 10 when the are leaving. This can change but it tends to only be an island platform change then anyway.

route101

Established Member
Done it a few years ago , an there was a few other people getting off at Stratford too!

Dhassell

Also FYI, It is Advertised at Stratford as a Train to London Liverpool Street

Established Member
Only someone 'in the know' would travel from Liverpool St to Stratford on a Norwich train, and even then leaving at xx.30 a 315 will beat the 90 to Stratford.

In the other direction no problem. People get on the train in platform 9 all the time and it is advertised as said previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.