• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 91 named "Darlington Hippodrome" by town Mayor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewNewens

I happened to be at Bank Top station on Wednesday when the Mayor of Darlington named a Class 91 "Darlington Hippodrome" to celebrate the re-opening of the theatre today (17th Nov). It's had a multi-million pound refurb (the theatre, not the loco). The theatre is visible from trains heading north out of Darlington on Yarm Road. Is this the only locomotive named after a theatre which is can actually be seen from the loco itself?

Attachments

• 2017-11-15 13.22.31.jpg
    2017-11-15 13.22.31.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • 2017-11-15 13.20.48.jpg
    2017-11-15 13.20.48.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
I do not see how this justifies the naming of a loco. It seems that these days loco's can be named after anything trivial.

greyman42

Established Member
Referring to post 6. That is a fair point, but people living outside of Darlington would of heard of a Mallard.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Are they even in the Football League anymore? Hardly worthy of a locomotive being named after them anyway.

sponsored by Virgin Train East Coast..........................................

( plus most successful North East team this decade - after some slight unpleasantness!)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I do not see how this justifies the naming of a loco. It seems that these days loco's can be named after anything trivial.

They always have been. Like inconsequential members of the landed aristocracy, or a bird.

There was even once called the Gay Crusader - would love to see Souter stick that one up his...I mean on one of his locos.

alexl92

Established Member
Mallard was part of a class of which most were named after birds, thanks to the interest of their designer. Loco classes/fleets today, with the exception of the GWR sleeper 57s, have no logic or pattern to their naming - it’s all just commercial/PR opportunities.

CosherB

Established Member
They always have been. Like inconsequential members of the landed aristocracy, or a bird.

There was even once called the Gay Crusader - would love to see Souter stick that one up his...I mean on one of his locos.
Another example of casual homophobia.

Monty

Established Member

Which was named after a race horse of the time, it was neither trivial nor political.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Which was named after a race horse of the time, it was neither trivial nor political.

So naming a train after a racehorse isn’t trivial but naming it after a theatre is?

Trains have always been named for PR purposes. It’s just that PR looks different now in less patriarchal times in that castles or aristocrats or animals don’t necessarily convey the image the railway wants. Locomotives weren’t - and aren’t now - named on a whim, but for a specific purpose.

Monty

Established Member
So naming a train after a racehorse isn’t trivial but naming it after a theatre is?

Trains have always been named for PR purposes. It’s just that PR looks different now in less patriarchal times in that castles or aristocrats or animals don’t necessarily convey the image the railway wants. Locomotives weren’t - and aren’t now - named on a whim, but for a specific purpose.

Never said it was, just responding to the comment that locomotives were named after 'trivial' things.

Darandio

Established Member
Can't see an issue myself, the Civic Theatre is crucial to the town and has been closed for quite some time for refurbishment. If it raises awareness to get people into the town then good, it sure as hell needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.