• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 91 Pantograph Loss 01 Feb 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
Oops! Travelling home from Edinburgh on the IE08 09:00 to Kings Cross we passed through Alnmouth and minutes later got the emergency stop.

Announcement that trackside detectors had been set off so the driver was checking.

A bit later, The Pantograph had fallen off ... but the driver did manage to find it and return it.

Then two 66's in GBRF colours turned up to drag us to Newcastle, where the two 66's later appeared to go off to somewhere near Chester-Le-Street to pick up some freight wagons, causing a bit more delay!

11am service to Kings Cross made extra stop at Doncaster, where East Coasts counter was deserted, so will download delay repay form at some point.

All in all, much fun <(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Triple headed GBRF 66 freight service just passed the York railcam, I'd guess two of them were your rescuers!

ash39

Established Member
Not been a good couple of days for Class 91s.

Failure at Skipton Friday morning, rescued by 67016.
Same morning 91103 failed near Wakefield. As the Doncaster thunderbird had gone to Skipton this was dragged to Leeds by 60087!
Today 91115 lead blunt end first to London. Presumably DVT fault on 82205.
Plus the above, which was dragged ECS to Bounds Green by 67024.
East Coast be a few locos down at the moment?

Iskra

Established Member

Same morning 91103 failed near Wakefield. As the Doncaster thunderbird had gone to Skipton this was dragged to Leeds by 60087!

A good time to get some unusual haulage though. Every cloud...

dk1

Veteran Member
Did I read that correctly "The pantograph had fallen off but the driver managed to find it & return it?"

MCR247

Established Member
Wouldn't the pantograph cause some sort of damage to the OHLE if it fell off?

alexl92

Established Member
...Time for Eurostar's NoL sets? ;)

Seriously though, what are their options if the current rate continues? 67s? 90s? Reactivated 86/87s?

Stampy

I think he meant "retrieve" rather than return.

I just have a vision of a driver now, pulling an oversize fuse out of a cabinet - then climbing on top of the 91 with the Pantograph head and helping it back into place with a "gentle" tap from a large mallet!!! :D

Johnuk123

Established Member
Wouldn't the pantograph cause some sort of damage to the OHLE if it fell off?

It could do but it could also miss it altogether.
I remember seeing one come off at Bescot some years ago didn't cause any problem.

83G/84D

Established Member
I was at Durham station at 1030 this morning waiting for a Penzance bound XC service. Staff were saying it was indefinitely delayed due to a EC trains service bringing the wires down between Alnmouth & Morpeth. The train was damaged ,they said, and could not be moved trapping services behind it.
Fair play to East Coast they did run a Newcastle to King's Cross special at short notice and even arranged for a supply of food and drinks to be put on board the train at York.

The special was extremely busy throughout. First Class was declassified and standard class was standing room only throughout.

I then got the 1457 train from Paddington and the buffet had run out of hot food and sandwiches even before Reading was reached. I saw people in the queue buying 3 or 4 sandwiches at a time so not entirely surprised.

Don't know what the answer is but very frustrating to people joining later in the journey who were unaware and had to go hungry.

Last edited:

cf111

Established Member
...Time for Eurostar's NoL sets? ;)

Seriously though, what are their options if the current rate continues? 67s? 90s? Reactivated 86/87s?

I'd imagine trying to borrow some of the few HST sets that XC don't use all the time.

cjmillsnun

Established Member

Probably BN will get them turned around quickly and back out in traffic.

ash39

Established Member
A pantograph coming off won't be a major repair I wouldn't have thought, wouldn't be surprised if 91125 is out again tomorrow/tuesday, but apparently 91103 had a small traction motor fire on Friday.

Tracked

Established Member
Re; Pantograph - Retrieved it, yes.

OHLE damge - Not sure, the train I caught back to Doncaster (IE09, making additional stop) was from Edinburgh originally and was also 91-pushed.

66 Haulage - Yes, it started getting a bit chilly, it wasn't too long after we stopped that it went to emergency lighting only.

83G/84D says about the extra service from Newcastle, just reminded me that the guard on the cancelled train mentioned a special train being put on at Newcastle, not for us though! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Incidentally, just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53exD3UR2JM

video of the affected set being taken to bounds green. Wonder if it would've been possible to send up the 67, instead of the two 66's (or even change engines at Newcastle, could've been done in the gap between IE08 being dragged in and the XC service arriving), & do the normal service to Peterborough, then let remaining passengers for London change there?

alexl92

Established Member
Re; Pantograph - Retrieved it, yes.

OHLE damge - Not sure, the train I caught back to Doncaster (IE09, making additional stop) was from Edinburgh originally and was also 91-pushed.

66 Haulage - Yes, it started getting a bit chilly, it wasn't too long after we stopped that it went to emergency lighting only.

83G/84D says about the extra service from Newcastle, just reminded me that the guard on the cancelled train mentioned a special train being put on at Newcastle, not for us though! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Incidentally, just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53exD3UR2JM

video of the affected set being taken to bounds green. Wonder if it would've been possible to send up the 67, instead of the two 66's (or even change engines at Newcastle, could've been done in the gap between IE08 being dragged in and the XC service arriving), & do the normal service to Peterborough, then let remaining passengers for London change there?

The 91 has no red lights on.. is that allowed?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Was it the whole pantograph assembly that came off or just a part of it (from the vid it looks like it might have been all of it)?

wensley

Established Member
There was some OLE damage associated with the incident. Initially a block was taken to secure back the damaged components to allow the passage of diesel traction on the Up line with full repairs taking place overnight.

0Z80 (the assisting locos) were in a good position to assist, and thankfully the location is also SIMBIDs fitted so trains were able to work round the failure with delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.