• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 92 new sleeper livery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sd0733

Established Member
Not seen anything about this anywhere else, 92033 is currently sat in Platform 8 at Crewe in a new all over dark green livery.
Could this the base for the new sleeper colour?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Possibly with yellowish station lighting it probably looked green.

sd0733

Established Member
It does look more blue in those photos yes. Had another look when got back and In the station it definitely looks more green.

Domh245

Established Member
If you look at the (new) sleeper website, the main colour seems to be a green/blue shade

CosherB

Established Member
I assume Serco won't do a wasteful DRS-esque repaint of all of the Mk3 stock for just 3 years use, just vinyl over the First branding to suit ......?

fowler9

Established Member
Looked BR Blue to me on Wednesday. I have also failed colourblindness tests in my time though. Ha ha.

hibtastic

It is definitely that dark greeny bluey colour that Serco are using for their sleeper website. Passed Crewe earlier in a Pendy and the 92 was sitting in one of the platforms. Took a terrible photo of it but for some reason it wont upload.

davyp

Had a long, close-up look at it today (along with many others). Up close, it is definitely a dark blue (certainly not 'rail blue' as suggested by some). Throughout the two hours or so I was there three 'orangemen' were inside the loco, which at first was making the usual ticking noise that many locos make when switched off (what is that?). The pant. was raised and lowered a number of times and various parts of the loco were making a wide range of noises. From time-to-time all went quiet while the men ticked their papers on their clipboards and then the noises restarted as they went back into the bowels (!) of the loco.
In my view by far the best looking 92 I have seen.
Davy.

sprinterguy

Established Member
What's the 86 being used for? I heard something about ECS movements but does that require its own livery?
For the empty stock moves between Wembley and Euston. I am quite astonished that even these locos are receiving the Caledonian Sleeper livery: Judging by the sudden surge of activity amongst the AC Locomotive Group as a result of this contract, I shouldn't wonder that they're getting a very tidy sum for it from GBRf!

Last edited:

What's the 86 being used for? I heard something about ECS movements but does that require its own livery?

Anyone boarding the sleeper at Euston will be greeted by the sight of the ECS loco as they trundle on to the platform with their suitcase... As we all know, image is everything these days, hence the paint...

sprinterguy

Established Member
Anyone boarding the sleeper at Euston will be greeted by the sight of the ECS loco as they trundle on to the platform with their suitcase... As we all know, image is everything these days, hence the paint...
That's true - DB Schenker have seemed quite happy to present their tattiest, scruffiest class 90 in faded EWS or Railfreight Distribution livery at the buffer stops at Euston, even if there is one of the specially branded locos on the front end!

Altnabreac

Established Member

Excellent point.

In terms of brand awareness the ECS locos will be much more visible to the public than the loco which actually pulls the train.

You should be a marketing consultant (maybe you are?) ;)

Serco will want to get off to a good start and presumably a refreshed look is their first target. As pointed out, ECS locos are the first things seen at Euston by boarding passengers. With First seemingly not bothered about the stock getting a little old and whatever locos from DBS on the blocks, Serco need little input with the promise of new stock on the horizon

alexl92

Established Member
I think it's great that Serco are going to these lengths - lets hope it's a sign of their approach to everything. It's also great to see that the ACLEG's locos are going to be getting regular work and in turn the other locos in their ownership will benefit.

Incidentally, supposing one of the older AC locos (81-85s) were restored to mainline standards, could they also be included in this contract? ie can they work with MK3s without modification?

matchmaker

Established Member
I think it's great that Serco are going to these lengths - lets hope it's a sign of their approach to everything. It's also great to see that the ACLEG's locos are going to be getting regular work and in turn the other locos in their ownership will benefit.

Incidentally, supposing one of the older AC locos (81-85s) were restored to mainline standards, could they also be included in this contract? ie can they work with MK3s without modification?

I can't think of any modification that would be required.

captainbigun

The roarers were technically forbidden from supplying Mk3s because of the earthing arrangement on the locos. That aside there's absolutely no chance of a roarer appearing on a sleeper.

fowler9

Established Member
The roarers were technically forbidden from supplying Mk3s because of the earthing arrangement on the locos. That aside there's absolutely no chance of a roarer appearing on a sleeper.

I was going to ask about that because I had either an 81 or an 85 on a rake of Mk III's or Mk II's in the twighlight years of the locos from Euston to Liverpool. Pretty much every train at that time was Mk III but I can't be sure for this particular one, it was a long time ago. It made really good time as well! All noted down somewhere I now can't find, ha ha.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
...and back in September 1984 I had an 85 from Crewe to Glasgow Central on a Sleeper service and yes they did have the Mk3s by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.