• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

ExRes

Established Member
I can only find one old thread on the 93s which has been closed, my apologies if I've missed another live one

The following appeared on the Europhoenix facebook today regarding the engineering work being carried out on 37611

"This should see her through the next 5 years when she will step aside for the new and impressive Class 93 Tri-mode"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energy

Established Member
Screenshot_20201029-013442_Chrome.jpg
Here is a screenshot, I don't really have much to say as ROG never officially ordered the 93.

ExRes

Established Member
View attachment 85210
Here is a screenshot, I don't really have much to say as ROG never officially ordered the 93.

While I agree 100% with you that ROG have kept totally quiet about the 93 'order' that was supposedly placed, why would Europhoenix, who work hand in glove with ROG, make this comment if something wasn't actually happening? obviously only time will tell

Domh245

Established Member
While I agree 100% with you that ROG have kept totally quiet about the 93 'order' that was supposedly placed, why would Europhoenix, who work hand in glove with ROG, make this comment if something wasn't actually happening? obviously only time will tell

The person manning their social media may not be the most informed about fleet strategy!

mpthomson

The person manning their social media may not be the most informed about fleet strategy!

Is it a large enough organisation to employ someone specifically to run social media, rather than being someone who enjoys using Twitter who does something else in the organisation as a day job?

I ask as I work in an industry (and site) that uses social media extensively, and I employ 120 people. I don't have anyone employed solely to look after social media postings, I do have a couple of keen and informed people who do it in addition to their 'proper' job.

Mollman

Established Member
But that doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't planning to order them? I'm sure I read an article (I think in Modern Railways) recently in which it was stated that the class 93s were still planned.
Yes it was the article about the Orion brand which talked about 93s being ordered at some point soon, with the view to using some of them to operate higher speed container trains. Note that EWS (as was) ran a trail 90mph container train but nothing ever materialised from it as far as I can recall.

dgl

Established Member
Looks like the 93 order has been confirmed going by posts by "rog1" on WNXX, diesel + LTO battery mode is 1,300kW (nearly 1,800bhp), was to be 88/2 but given what it ended up becoming the change to class 93 was decided.
Should start arriving Oct 2022, testing will be minimal as only the non 88 bits need testing.

Hope no one minds if I repost this here

rog1 on WNXX said:
Given a fair wind, the 1st class 93 should be in the UK in Oct 2022. Testing and approvals will not be onerous as the 93 is based on the class 88 platform and fully TSI compliant. Therefore, only the dynamic changes will need testing and approval, e.g. the LTO traction batteries and 110mph operation. Velim will not be required. Complex and comprehensive performance modelling now completed. In mainland Europe, most intermodal traffic is hauled by bo-bo AC electric locos, e.g. Vectrons and Traxx. Six axles only necessary above 2500 tons. The class 93 has the most sophisticated traction control system available. Delay to the programme caused by Brexit and, to a lesser extent, Covid.

MikePJ

Via Richard Clinnick on Twitter :

Stadler and Rail Operations Group have signed a framework agreement for the supply of 30 Class 93 tri-mode locomotives, which will support rail decarbonisation requirements in the UK. An initial batch of 10 locomotives are due for delivery in early 2023.

Full press release here

Class 93 is a Bo’Bo’ mixed-traffic locomotive based on Stadler’s Class 68 and Class 88 locomotives that have been operating successfully in the UK for some years. It is capable of reaching higher speed than the previous ones; i.e.110 mph instead of 100mph. Stadler’s first tri-mode locomotive has three different power sources. In electric mode, it is able to run on 25kV AC overhead lines with a power of 4,000 kW. In addition, the locomotive features a CATERPILLAR C32 engine and Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) traction battery packs, allowing it to operate over non-electrified lines. The diesel engine has a nominal power of 900 kW and meets EU 97/68 Stage V emission requirements. The two LTO battery packs provide 400kW extra power to supplement the engine when the locomotive is running in diesel/battery hybrid mode as well as last mile carbon free shunting operation.

Spec wise, the 93 is designed for the same power (4MW) on electric as an 88, with a slight increase in power on diesel (88s are 700kW). I suspect that the LTO batteries will make quite a big difference to their usefulness on diesel though, as they will provide almost 50% more grunt for starting a heavy train.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
Stadler press release here (rather than one requiring signing in to share point)

Stadler and Rail Operations (UK) Limited sign a contract for the new Class 93 tri-mode locomotives
Stadler and Rail Operations (UK) Limited have signed a framework agreement for the supply of thirty Class 93 tri-mode locomotives, which will support rail decarbonisation requirements in the UK. An initial batch of 10 locomotives are due for delivery in early 2023.
Stadler and the British company, Rail Operations (UK) Limited have signed a framework agreement for the supply of thirty Class 93 tri-mode locomotives. The advanced locomotives will significantly reduce CO2 emissions for both rail freight as well as potential passenger transport services, underscoring Stadler’s green credentials and demonstrating its commitment to decarbonisation. Deliveries are expected to start in early 2023.
Class 93 is a Bo’Bo’ mixed-traffic locomotive based on Stadler’s Class 68 and Class 88 locomotives that have been operating successfully in the UK for some years. It is capable of reaching higher speed than the previous ones; i.e.110 mph instead of 100mph.
Stadler’s first tri-mode locomotive has three different power sources. In electric mode, it is able to run on 25kV AC overhead lines with a power of 4,000 kW. In addition, the locomotive features a CATERPILLAR C32 engine and Lithium Titanate Oxide (LTO) traction battery packs, allowing it to operate over non-electrified lines. The diesel engine has a nominal power of 900 kW and meets EU 97/68 Stage V emission requirements. The two LTO battery packs provide 400kW extra power to supplement the engine when the locomotive is running in diesel/battery hybrid mode as well as last mile carbon free shunting operation.
Commenting on the contract, Karl Watts, Chief Executive Officer, Rail Operations (UK) Limited, said ... “The rail industry has acted very positively in understanding its role in reducing carbon emissions and improving inner city air quality. The class 93 fleet with its array of green credentials, will allow us to lead the way in supporting the rail industry deliver its decarbonisation targets. Furthermore, with its impressive state-of-the-art specification, the class 93s also allow us to develop new markets and modernise many aspects of UK train operations”.
Iñigo Parra, CEO Stadler Valencia added, “The innovative and cost-effective solution will provide environmentally-friendly rail transport services, supporting national decarbonisation strategies and promoting modal shift to rail”.

The fact that Stadler have put out a press release makes me think it might actually be happening now. Will be amazed to see how they've crammed it all in that body!

MikePJ

The fact that Stadler have put out a press release makes me think it might actually be happening now. Will be amazed to see how they've crammed it all in that body!
Given that it was announced yesterday that ROG has been acquired by new investors, I suspect that the announcement of the firm order for the new locos was held back until the sale of the business went through.

Loki

class-93-locomotive.jpg

Looks like the continental version rather than class 68/88.

Last edited:

TRAX

Established Member
38624_railoperationsukstadlerclass93trimodelocomotiveimpression_387923.jpg

Yes the design is the standard Stadler one, which explains the similarities with the EuroDual/4/6/9.
But the body looks based on the 88, which is logical due to the UK gauge issue.

squizzler

Established Member
The promise of a goods locomotive capable of mainline speeds north of 100mph. Suggests the class 67 was a bit premature going for that niche, especially with archaic EMD technology of the time.

Domh245

Established Member
The promise of a goods locomotive capable of mainline speeds north of 100mph. Suggests the class 67 was a bit premature going for that niche, especially with archaic EMD technology of the time.

I'd manage to gloss over that top speed. I'm not sure what scope there is for any 110mph freight flows to be introduced, particularly when nothing (mainline) is currently faster than 75mph. I wonder if it's a strategic move to possibly be a future motive power for the Mk5as post electrification although given the increasing rumours about them being dumped, perhaps not

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Stadler press release here (rather than one requiring signing in to share point)

Yes that along with the Richard Clinnick tweet really has got my hopes up. A nice looking locomotive with what appears to be loads of functionality. Great news all around.

ABB125

Established Member
class-93-locomotive.jpg

I like that front end! Better than the class 68/88 version, looks very continental.
I'd manage to gloss over that top speed. I'm not sure what scope there is for any 110mph freight flows to be introduced, particularly when nothing (mainline) is currently faster than 75mph. I wonder if it's a strategic move to possibly be a future motive power for the Mk5as post electrification although given the increasing rumours about them being dumped, perhaps not
I imagine the locomotives have been designed with just about every possible use in mind: stock movement, to replace ageing class 37/47s ( :( ); high speed freight; electrification of conventional freight as the wires are extended, possibly with lease to existing FOCs; passenger work etc etc

Speed43125

"thirty Class 93 tri-mode locomotives"

Were there always going to be 30 locos ordered? I was under the impression they had 10 planned?

Good news nonetheless, (though the quickly running out locomotive section of TOPS would make me perhaps just out of personal fancy, have preferred it just being numbered as subclass of the 88s.)

tpjm

I wonder if it's a strategic move to possibly be a future motive power for the Mk5as post electrification although given the increasing rumours about them being dumped, perhaps not

The timescales of Transpennine route electrification would align quite nicely with the full 30 of these being produced. Only time will tell I suppose!

TRAX

Established Member

Were there always going to be 30 locos ordered? I was under the impression they had 10 planned?

Good news nonetheless, (though the quickly running out locomotive section of TOPS would make me perhaps just out of personal fancy, have preferred it just being numbered as subclass of the 88s.)
10 is the first batch.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Very promising and pleasing developments.

That said, one has to assume they will be having ‘sub fleets’.

e.g. two fitted with couplers for their stock moves, some mostly for freight, etc.

On Moderation

It is 10 ordered with a further 20 options in the contract that can be converted to a firm order if needed.