• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 'Y' LNER 985 past colliery works

Status
Not open for further replies.

fv43576

I went to Mid-Suffolk Light Railway on Steam Galas weekend, locomotive Class 'Y' LNER 985 the driver I had chat with him. He said this train was ex-works of Bentinck colliery then the Thurgarton colliery.
I did find the Bentinck is near Kirkby in Ashfield station but Thurgarton I could not find anywhere on www.railmaponline.com. Is this near the Thurgarton station southwest of Newark Castle?
I am interest to location whereabouts

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
I went to Mid-Suffolk Light Railway on Steam Galas weekend, locomotive Class 'Y' LNER 985 the driver I had chat with him. He said this train was ex-works of Bentinck colliery then the Thurgarton colliery.
I did find the Bentinck is near Kirkby in Ashfield station but Thurgarton I could not find anywhere on www.railmaponline.com. Is this near the Thurgarton station southwest of Newark Castle?
I am interest to location whereabouts

According to the Industrial Railway Society's "Industrial Locomotives of Nottinghamshire", LNER 985 (BR 68088) went from Stratford Works to Bentinck Colliery, Kirkby in Ashfield, in Dec. 1952.

It was sold in Aug. 1964 to Y7 Preservation Group, Priory Farm, Thurgarton, Notts. Map Grid Reference SK 696491 - you will need an OS map to check if that is near Newark.

In July 1975, it passed to Main Line Steam Trust, Louughborough.

Status
Not open for further replies.