• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class86 in darlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

9007pinza

I was an avid spotter back in the late 60`s and early 70`s. I used to spend all my available time at either Darlington Bank Top station, or Salter`s Lane or Glebe road bridge.
I remember one instance of being at Bank Top, probably in the early 70`s, and the station pilot was dragging what I seem to remember was a class 86 electric loco, up towards the now removed turntable just south of the station , near the signal box.
We even got a chance to ride a few yards in the cab, as it was a very quiet Sunday afternoon.
I think this loco was E3173, after getting the suspension upgrades due to rough riding, the turntable was being used for bogie turning exercises.
Can any body confirm this, and indeed, Was it E3173, & why was the loco in Darlington, well away from its WCML stomping ground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
I recall around 1966 seeing a new Class 86 parked on a centre road at York. Many of them were built at Doncaster and it was presumably pulled from there, either for a running trial or as part of a slightly dog-leg delivery run to Crewe.

9007pinza

I really didn't know why it was there. Someone said that lateral movement tests were being done with one bogie only on the turntable, while it was gently turned. Being a young kid at the time, I didn't really understand, but it was very exciting to see a electric loco in Bank Top.

Polarbear

Established Member
If I recall, E3173 was used for some aerodynamic tests (propelled by a fast diesel) of what was to become the nose cone of the production IC125's in the early 1970's. Looked very strange too.

Some of the testing was also done on the WCML I seem to remember.

Edit-just had a look on google images & there are photos of E3173 wearing said nose cone (it was for the prototype HST, not the production run). There is at least 1 photo (in colour) with no wires in sight which may well be on the ECML somewhere?

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What a fascinating article- surely that Hawksworth test vehicle must hold the record at 130mph for the fastest ever pre BR coach?

Got to be hasn't it? As you say what a fascinating article. Yet another new thing learned by me on this forum

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
What a fascinating article- surely that Hawksworth test vehicle must hold the record at 130mph for the fastest ever pre BR coach?
If I'm not mistaken the speedometer in this vehicle was transferred from the previous generation GWR Dynamometer Car, maybe dating back to Churchward's time, and operated on an additional large wheel which was in the centre of the coach. Was the wheel retractable?

Cecil J Allen wrote about travelling in the vehicle, and said the speedometer was so accurate that it was a complete waste of time to take his normal milepost/stopwatch readings.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Taunton said:
If I'm not mistaken the speedometer in this vehicle was transferred from the previous generation GWR Dynamometer Car, maybe dating back to Churchward's time, and operated on an additional large wheel which was in the centre of the coach.

Apologies for attributing the old vehicle to Churchward, because it was even older, having been commissioned in 1901, a year before Dean retired. However, Churchward was Dean's Chief Assistant for some years before the formal handover, so probably had much to do with it.

And it still exists (minus speedometer) at Buckfastleigh. Withdrawn in 1961 after 60 years usage, it must have seen some changes in its time. There are certainly photographs of it cut in between a Warship diesel and BR Standard stock, looking completely anachronistic.

http://www.southdevonrailway.co.uk/r...ometer-car-790

Last edited:

Robin1966

Hi guys, I am writing an article about railway turntables as it happens. Can you confirm that the turntable south of Darlington station has now been removed? If it has, anyone know what happened to it (was it scrapped or has some preservation society or such acquired it)?

If by some chance it is still there, or hasn't been scrapped, I'd love to know more about it, its history, present condition etc.

Cheers guys

The pit of the turntable was filled in a few years ago - (on safety grounds???). I noticed last week though that the pit was being excavated out again. Anybody know why?

Jagdpanther

First post so hello to all. I believe the Darlington turntable is going to the Stainmore Railway at Kirkby Stephen

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
First post so hello to all. I believe the Darlington turntable is going to the Stainmore Railway at Kirkby Stephen

Hello and Welcome.
I think you're right, I seem to remember reading about it in one of the magazines recently.

Thanks - nice to know its going to a good use. NB I passed it this evening but to dark to see progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.