• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Classes 44/45/46 on mainline tours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
With the relatively recent return of multiple class 40 locomotives to mainline railtour haulage and the crowds these locomotives draw; it got me wondering why there seems to be no Peak haulage on similar tours despite the relatively high number of these locomotives that are preserved? Other locomotives from their time period appear very popular, so it seems logical that the Peaks would be too?

Do any of the preserved 44/45/46’s venture onto the mainline or are there any future plans for them to do so?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
With the relatively recent return of multiple class 40 locomotives to mainline railtour haulage and the crowds these locomotives draw; it got me wondering why there seems to be no Peak haulage on similar tours despite the relatively high number of these locomotives that are preserved? Other locomotives from their time period appear very popular, so it seems logical that the Peaks would be too?
Maintaining a locomotive for mainline use is expensive, certainly more so than for preserved railway use given the need for on-train monitoring equipment and mainline-worthy reliability and tyre size.

Clearly, there has been enough dedication and money to keep 40145 alive and to return 40013 to the mainline.

45118 is owned by LSL and could potentially be returned to the mainline, although this is from 2018, and I guess resource means that other locomotives are in front of it in the queue.
https://www.railexpress.co.uk/1639/peak-could-go-main-line/
‘PEAK’ COULD GO MAIN LINE

28th March 2018 Sam Hewitt News

Crewe-based Locomotive Services has added a Class 45 to its growing loco fleet.

FURTHER expansion of the Locomotive Services fleet took place in early February with the acquisition of ‘Peak’ No. 45118 The Royal Artilleryman – which has been located at Loram (formerly RVEL) at Derby since 2009 – by its Locomotive Diesels business.
http://www.theonetoonecollection.co...tion-museum/off-site-2/the-royal-artilleryman
‘THE ROYAL ARTILLERYMAN’ : BR 45118 (D67)
‘PEAK’ CLASS 45 : 1CO-CO1

The British Rail Class 45s, also known as the Sulzer Type 4 diesel locomotives, were built by British Rail at their Derby and Crewe Works between 1960 and 1962. Along with the similar Class 44 and 46 locomotives, they became known as ‘Peaks’. This particular locomotive went by the name of ‘The Royal Artilleryman’. The Class 45s became the main traction on the Midland Main Line from 1962 and their introduction allowed considerable acceleration of the previous steam-powered service. The Class 45s remained the main source of power on the Midland Main Line up to 1982, when they were relegated to secondary services following introduction of HSTs on the route. From 1986 Class 45s virtually disappeared from the line. From the early 1980s until their withdrawal c.1988, the class were regular performers on the North Trans-Pennine line working services from Liverpool Lime Street to York, Scarborough or Newcastle via Manchester Victoria, Huddersfield and Leeds. The ‘Royal Artilleryman’ is currently based at Crewe.

46035 was prevalent on mainline tours in the early 2000s when it was owned by Pete Waterman but it is a long time since that locomotive was active. A similar thread from ten years ago suggests that 45112 was also - https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/peaks-on-the-mainline.54241/

The most recent working I can find for 46035 was in 2003 - https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/00s/030517dr.htm - soon afterwards it was withdrawn from mainline operation.
17th May 2003

Daylight Railtours
The Sarum Sulzers

Locos Used 46035 & 47224
Route:
1Z91 : Alton to Salisbury
1Z93 : Salisbury to Alton

The final trip for 45112 appears to have been in 2007 - https://sixbellsjunction.co.uk/00s/070127hr.htm
27th January 2007

Hertfordshire Rail Tours
Tubular Belle Merrymaker

Inter City Merrymaker series

Locos Used 45112 & 47847
Stock Used ?????
Route:
1Z56 : York to Holyhead
1Z57 : Holyhead to York

Locos Route
45112 (1) York - Doncaster - Mexborough - Thrybergh Jn - Rotherham Masborough - Wincobank Jn - Sheffield - Dore - Chesterfield - Derby - Uttoxeter - Stoke-On-Trent - Alsager - Crewe - Chester - Llandudno Jn - Holyhead
45112 (1) Holyhead - (reverse of outward route) - York
Notes :
(1) 47847 on rear.

Sources : David Bellamy & Ralf Edge

Tour Review
(by Ralf Edge)

A final trip with 45112 on the mainline before she was withdrawn due to the cost of OTMR fitment, well it just had to be done. As the day drew nearer notoriously unreliable and seemingly neglected 45112 languished at Long Marston with no maintenance had seemingly been carried out and FM appeared to be in administration, the chances of the tour 'producing' let alone with 45112 looked very slim indeed. Unbearably close to the tour date 45112 was dragged to Gloucester, Crewe and then Derby before surprisingly appearing on a test run on the eve of the tour. This run, and the tour proved many wrong who had been sceptical if 45112 would ever work again... Thankfully the test run went smoothly...

The next morning 47847 dragged the stock and 45112 to York, 47847 being taken along on the rear of the tour to supply the train ETH and act as a back-up loco, which thankfully wasn't needed.

Last edited:

Wyrleybart

Established Member
As Jonathan has said, maintaining any preserved loco in a condition suitable for Network Rail operation is very very expensive. As a prerequisite you need TPWS, OTDR and a whole host of certification such as ultratrasonic axle testing. The cabs need to meet standards, as well as windscreens etc etc. Certain operators have their locos kitted up for the extra equipment, and Network Rail are currently going through the "first of the type" cab designs for ETCS, which is why I suspect the real reason DRS locos are at Bo'ness is for FOTT. I am guessing either 45112 or 45118 would need to be FOTT for the class 45.

The other hindrance with the class 45s, which admittedly also applies to the 40s is the long plate bogie frames, and their tendency to fracture. Is there a class 45 in existence without welded up bogie plates - 40s also for that matter.

45s and 46s were very popular in days gone by and I think back to one of the best ever railtours i did "The Lynn Liner" https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/841103fw.htm

That utterly fantastic 46026 "Leicestershire & Derbyshire Yeomanry" never missed a beat and absolutely romped our train along where she could. I joined at New St in the morning, and got off at Westbury, for a Crompton to Bristol for a "large Crompton" on 1S19 back to Brum. Good solid tour and a tragedy that she was scrapped.

railnut21

I believe that one of the 2 ex mainline Peaks is chocked full of asbestos hence when Network Rail brought in the higher standards it was decided to not overhaul the loco. I could be wrong though

Richard Scott

Established Member
44s probably a non starter due to lack of air brakes. Peak bogies also a problem as suffer from cracks, which are acceptable for preservation use but probably need repairing for the mainline, which is expensive.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I believe that one of the 2 ex mainline Peaks is chocked full of asbestos hence when Network Rail brought in the higher standards it was decided to not overhaul the loco. I could be wrong though
Is that an substantiated rumour ? I have no idea either way but the "two ex mainline" peaks could possibly be the two preserved ones which have run on the mainline since fleet withdrawal. Presumably 45112 and 46035 ? I have seen suggestions online that 45015 at Shackerstone has a small about of asbestos in the boiler compartment, which is a concern and would cost a few bob to remove. However, 45112 was a very early ETH convert so may well have had the asbestos removed back in the late 1960s when converted. 46035 - who knows - assuming these are the two peaks you mean.

railnut21

Is that an substantiated rumour ? I have no idea either way but the "two ex mainline" peaks could possibly be the two preserved ones which have run on the mainline since fleet withdrawal. Presumably 45112 and 46035 ? I have seen suggestions online that 45015 at Shackerstone has a small about of asbestos in the boiler compartment, which is a concern and would cost a few bob to remove. However, 45112 was a very early ETH convert so may well have had the asbestos removed back in the late 1960s when converted. 46035 - who knows - assuming these are the two peaks you mean.
I remember reading somewhere ages ago a mention of asbestos and a Peak. I couldn't tell you which one or where I read the article so it could just be hearsay but as I said I only believe means chances are it could be wrong

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For all your 45015 needs, I’ve reopened this thread (which was gathering virtual moss at the end of a siding) to continue that discussion. ;)

johnnychips

Established Member
For all your 45015 needs, I’ve reopened this thread (which was gathering virtual moss at the end of a siding) to continue that discussion. ;)

It still seems to be closed.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Back in January 2007 (31st of that month) and a few days after the farewell tour quoted by @JonathanH above, 45112 worked a Chaddesdon-Long Marston (headcode 4Z47; so close with that headcode. ;)), conveying 12 KAA wagons for storage at the latter. Martin Loader (hondawanderer) was on hand to catch that and the return light engine working.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Back in January 2007 (31st of that month) and a few days after the farewell tour quoted by @JonathanH above, 45112 worked a Chaddesdon-Long Marston (headcode 4Z47; so close with that headcode. ;)), conveying 12 KAA wagons for storage at the latter. Martin Loader (hondawanderer) was on hand to catch that and the return light engine working.

That’s a fine sight I must say. I remember seeing them with that headcode arrangement when I was a young lad.

Strathclyder

Established Member
That’s a fine sight I must say. I remember seeing them with that headcode arrangement when I was a young lad.
A fine, if slightly odd sight: a Peak with 12 KAA wagons in tow! Nearly as odd as a Deltic hauling a ScotRail 334 from Yoker to Kilmarnock, but that's for another thread. ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A fine, if slightly odd sight: a Peak with 12 KAA wagons in tow!

I’ve got a photo of me having my nappy changed on the platform at Dawlish station with a Peak in the background in the 1970s that I’ve shared on here a couple of times. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for a Seventies looking BR blue Peak because they’re stirred in with my earliest railway memories…

Strathclyder

Established Member
I’ve got a photo of me having my nappy changed on the platform at Dawlish station with a Peak in the background in the 1970s that I’ve shared on here a couple of times. I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for a Seventies looking BR blue Peak because they’re stirred in with my earliest railway memories…
Brilliant. :D

It's funny how those kinda things stick in your memory. It's like me and tatty, SPT Orange/Black-liveried Class 303s: some of the earliest railway memories I have involve them and they are some of the ones I look back on with the greatest amount of fondness.

Last edited:

Recall originally being booked on the Ixion return to the mainline as a teenager. It got redated a few times so eventually I gave up, got a refund and did Manchester to Brighton and return on a return ticket instead as I wanted to clear off all the remaining bits of the IC network I could.

Sadly not had a peak (45) on the mainline since the late 80s as a kid as wasn't bothered enough to chase 45112 or Ixion for that matter while they both had brief comebacks. Do recall seeing a few of Ixions last workings though which including short service train outings into Manchester on Rugby relief train dates for the Marches. Must be a chance I have had a 46 on the Newcastle/York to Liverpool route too as toddler or early primary school age since they did drop still along side everything else along there.

Looking at other recent goings on at LSL the peak would probably drop onto those IC Mk3s so perhaps I'd cheekily suggest a little spin to Paignton would be logical to recreate the final service train haulage of summer 1988 where similar stock featured. Fastest fingers first on getting tickets though as no doubt it'll be all first class and sell out at haste.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It looks like 45118 is being pencilled in for a return to mainline running in Autumn 2022 with two trips planned under LSL's 'Intercity' brand.

https://inter-city.co.uk/journey/the-torbay-delight-19-10-22
THE TORBAY DELIGHT
WED 19 OCTOBER 2022

Departing From
YORK,
LEEDS,
SHEFFIELD,
CHESTERFIELD,
DERBY
Paignton, at the heart of the English Riviera, is the destination for InterCity charter, for a circa three hour afternoon break. Travel in First Class comfort in our InterCity carriages, hauled by our Class 45 ‘Peak’ locomotive 45118 The Royal Artilleryman, subject to availability. The palm trees that are dotted about the centre of the town give the impression that you’re on a continental holiday and you can imagine yourself being almost anywhere in the world! Just a short walk from the station is the welcoming sight of a beautiful beach, a promenade, a traditional pier and brightly coloured beach huts. In the event that 45118 is unavailable, the train will be worked by a pair of our Class 37 heritage locomotives.

https://inter-city.co.uk/journey/the-international-09-11-22
THE INTERNATIONAL
WED 9 NOVEMBER 2022

Departing From
LANCASTER,
PRESTON,
WIGAN NORTH WESTERN,
WARRINGTON BANK QUAY,
CREWE,
STAFFORD,
NUNEATON
Travel in First Class comfort in our InterCity carriages from the north west to St Pancras International, hauled by our Class 45 ‘Peak’ locomotive 45118 The Royal Artilleryman, subject to availability. The ‘Peaks’ once dominated services to and from St Pancras along the Midland Main Line to Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield. They remained part of the route until the early 1980s until they were replaced by High Speed Trains. In the event that 45118 is unavailable, the train will be worked by a pair of our Class 37 heritage locomotives.

Last edited:

Wow gotta get on at least one of them, been a while since i did 112 to holyhead

Booked lol, hope you can cancel okay if the four five doesn't show, still time will show

Last edited:

It looks like 45118 is being pencilled in for a return to mainline running in Autumn 2022 with two trips planned under LSL's 'Intercity' brand.

https://inter-city.co.uk/journey/the-torbay-delight-19-10-22

https://inter-city.co.uk/journey/the-international-09-11-22

I seem to recall suggesting Torbay above since it was the last place on the mainline with passengers you'd have seen one with IC Mk3s. The other destination is quite historically appropriate if nothing else. There needs to be some pretty good resale arrangements in place with the 37 followers though since that's the back up plan and there will be a lot not going if 45118 isn't ready by then.

Iskra

Established Member
That does look an excellent programme of tours, and it's good to see they are finally allowing bookings for single travellers too.

xotGD

Established Member
I seem to recall suggesting Torbay above since it was the last place on the mainline with passengers you'd have seen one with IC Mk3s. The other destination is quite historically appropriate if nothing else. There needs to be some pretty good resale arrangements in place with the 37 followers though since that's the back up plan and there will be a lot not going if 45118 isn't ready by then.
I'll keep an eye out. Leeds to Paignton and back behind a pair of 37s sounds like a great day out!

I'll keep an eye out. Leeds to Paignton and back behind a pair of 37s sounds like a great day out!

Yes, ticket exchanging between yourselves and disgruntled peak fans would be the only option as LSL deliberately done this to avoid a repeat of the deltic trip that was originally running this November which resulted in a redate. Much as it wouldn't work for me if I was booking for a peak as least there's time for the 2 rival traction followings to have a contingency plan in place.

Skymonster

Established Member
Peak to Paignton would be great - not sure about the contingency alternative of two bags of bolts on the front though

Iskra

Established Member
Peak to Paignton would be great - not sure about the contingency alternative of two bags of bolts on the front though
I agree that's a tough one to weigh up. I've never had a Peak on the mainline, however I like 37's too. It's a rare railtour picking up in Sheffield. But, if you remove the Peak it becomes a very bland tour. Paignton in October isn't massively exciting. It doesn't do any rare track and I've been all the way to Kingswear with a pair of 50's recently.

I'm more inclined to book the 20's to Stranraer... involving an 87 over Shap and Beatock, a class 47, 2x20 and two freight only lines. In terms of value for money there's plenty going on with that tour,

xotGD

Established Member
What is the world coming to when people would rather have an ETH Peak than a pair of No Heat 37s?

Wyrleybart

Established Member
What is the world coming to when people would rather have an ETH Peak than a pair of No Heat 37s?

I am guessing you don't really remember peaks on the mainline for you to ask that question.
I still have memories from service trains and specials - my first special was 4th December 1978 with 45008 Paddington-Doncaster and Lincoln-St Pancras on the RPPR Lincolnshire Coaster. The run up the MML at night with Guy Fawkes night bonfires visible and the warm slipstream out the huge grille on the side of the 45 were utterly hellfire.

My final peak tour was probably the class 46 farewell "Lynn Liner" tour with 46026 and it's stunning run back to the west. Had to bale at Westbury for a Crompton to Bristol and a 45/1 on the Glasgow sleeper.

37s are for kids who don't remember those 16 wheeled Sulzer leviathans.

Strathclyder

Established Member
37s are for kids who don't remember those 16 wheeled Sulzer leviathans.
Oi, us kids can like both 37s and Peaks lol I may lean more towards EE stuff generally, but I can appreciate/enjoy a Sulzer-powered machine just as much.

Perhaps this is a sign of my age, but I've personally never really understood this EE v. Sulzer business at least as far as the sometimes ahem... passionate debate that can occur between bashers/enthusiasts on either side of it is concerned. The way I see it, simplistic and ripe for tearing apart as it is, is that you can like either EE or Sulzer or both. Nothing wrong with any of those preferences as far as I'm concerned.

(wonder how many people I'll end up annoying with this post lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.