Classic Choppers: 20107 + 20096 lead 20118 + 20132 with 7X09 from Old Dalby

Discussion in 'Photography Sites, Blogs & Videos' started by Jaybee60163, 15 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaybee60163

Jaybee60163 Member

Hi All

With this week seeing more of the transfers of the new London Underground Tube Trains from Old Dalby down to West Ruislip after testing, I decided to go and see if there was to be a shot to be had since they are usually hauled through there journey by 2 pairs of classic 20's in a TnT formation and with a bit of luck I managed to find a location and some decent sun light for the shot.

My shot of which from today can be seen at the following:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jaybee60163/16536699374/in/photostream/

Kind Regards

Jack

2. 66Yorks

66Yorks Member

Do you know what the purpose of the two tankers at either end of the LU train are for?

3. andypops

andypops Member

Yes - they're barrier wagons, with normal couplings at the one end and ones compatible for the LU stock on the other.

I don't know LU stock codes, but I think the S stock(?) moves also from Derby to London also used similar 20's & barrier wagons.

I think they're powered at both ends because of reversals necessary en route.

If I remember rightly, the setup is shown on one episode of the BBC documentary "The Underground" from 2011-2012. Interestingly, it looks like the air supply is provided through standard "red ended" hoses - so the coupling between barrier and LU train is simply physical.

HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.