• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cleaners interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB0161

Hi Guys,

My brother has an interview for a cleaning operative on the 14th May for Northern, located at Victoria.

Its a video interview via Skype.

Can anyone suggest the line of questioning which they may go down.

I'm a trainee driver and for my DMI I meticulously studied Northern as a company and prepared for questions relating to emergencies, dynamic risk assessments and working in isolation.

Has anyone recommendations for what he may be best brushing up on for this role.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

donpoku

Teamwork
Reliable
Being on time
PPE/Health & safety
Communication
Checking over your work
professional and polite and wearing company uniform
In a nutshell someone who always takes pride in their job at all times.

Worked as a cleaner for few years and this is my experience of what they are looking for.

L401CJF

Established Member
A basic understanding of COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health - different chemical warning labels etc) is an added bonus too. Give it a little research and learn the basics and it's something good to bring up. It was quite an important factor when I worked as a cleaner at Stagecoach Bus.

DB0161

Teamwork
Reliable
Being on time
PPE/Health & safety
Communication
Checking over your work

Worked as a cleaner for few years and this is my experience of what they are looking for.
Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks very much

DB0161

A basic understanding of COSHH (control of substances hazardous to health - different chemical warning labels etc) is an added bonus too. Give it a little research and learn the basics and it's something good to bring up. It was quite an important factor when I worked as a cleaner at Stagecoach Bus.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it

badger1badger

i have a skype interview for Presentation Team leader tomorrow.

any tips or clues - one thing I am looking for is Northern Values

LCC106

Established Member
I’ve just googled Northern Rail Company Values. The information is there if you look for it.

Think also of the skills/qualities you might need for the job, how you match these and examples of when you use them at present.

Good luck.

DB0161

Teamwork
Reliable
Being on time
PPE/Health & safety
Communication
Checking over your work

Teamwork
Reliable
Being on time
PPE/Health & safety
Communication
Checking over your work

My brother got the job and he's delighted. Thanks for your advice

TeaTrain

Nice one! If there is one thing I enjoy here, it is the willingness to help others on this forum to further our careers and quality of life. Well done to your brother and good luck as a trainee driver (just starting myself!)

DB0161

Best of luck Badger. Part time cleaning job might not sound like winning the apprentice for most but I think any job will be harder to come by for the next 6-12 months. Plus getting a foot in the railway at any level is an achievement in my eyes.

Tea Train where have you started at? I'm at Piccadilly with Northern

badger1badger

Best of luck Badger. Part time cleaning job might not sound like winning the apprentice for most but I think any job will be harder to come by for the next 6-12 months. Plus getting a foot in the railway at any level is an achievement in my eyes.

Cheers

TeaTrain

@DB0161 I am also at Man Pic for TPE. I just got accepted and signed my contract luckily before covid really kicked in. I am already grateful to them to be paying the training wage while I am at home with my newborn son. If I had picked a later assessment date I would be stuck in limbo now waiting for it all to blow over.

Feel like despite passing all the tests etc and knowing I put the work in (twice over 5 years lol) I still feel mostly lucky this time round!

badger1badger

Hi

I have got the job as team leader !
a drop in salary but still a job is better

TeaTrain

@badger1badger Nice one! As you say having A SALARY is far better than none at all. What I love about the railway is that no matter what your role is there is always opportunity to move within the industry.

(I have worked as Platform staff, Ticket office, Rail Replacement officer, Conductor and now Trainee Driver :lol:)

badger1badger

@badger1badger Nice one! As you say having A SALARY is far better than none at all. What I love about the railway is that no matter what your role is there is always opportunity to move within the industry.

(I have worked as Platform staff, Ticket office, Rail Replacement officer, Conductor and now Trainee Driver :lol:)
Well done you and thanks for the kind words

richfoz84

sorry to hijack, I’m in the talent pool for northern @ Manchester Piccadilly. Anyone said anything about course dates for the rest of the year? Thanksss ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.