• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Climate change is fake [mod warning - controversial topic - enter at your own risk]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There have always been people who refuse to accept scientific evidence. For example, there are still people who believe that the earth is flat - despite the vast amount of evidence to the contrary, e.g.
https://wiki.tfes.org/Flat_Earth_-_Frequently_Asked_Questions

So hardly surprising that some people refuse to recognise that climate change is real. And even less surprising that some people who oppose methods to reduce global warming are also people with financial interests in the continued production & use of fossil fuels.

that is comedy gold!

There’s a brilliant video out there about a redneck flatearther who offered $100,000 to anyone who could prove the Earth was round using navigation charts etc. He instantly regretted it.

Edit, found it: https://www.unilad.co.uk/science/fl...rove-the-earth-is-round-instantly-regrets-it/

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There’s a brilliant video out there about a redneck flatearther who offered $100,000 to anyone who could prove the Earth was round using navigation charts etc. He instantly regretted it.

genius - who knew that fool would be an American? Who knew?

Darandio

Established Member
I've not laughed much at anything recently, not until I saw their explanation of the day/night cycle.

How do you explain day/night cycles and seasons?

A simplified animation of the day/night cycle in FET over the course of 24 hours. Note that, in actuality, the lunar cycle is slightly slower than the solar cycle

Day and night cycles are easily explained on a flat earth. The sun moves in circles around the North Pole. When it is over your head, it's day. When it's not, it's night. The light of the sun is confined to a limited area and its light acts like a spotlight upon the earth. The picture below illustrates how the sun moves and also how seasons work on a flat earth. The apparent effect of the sun rising and setting is usually explained as a perspective effect.

43021HST

Established Member
Climate change is a basic scientific fact based on how CO2 retains heat in the atmosphere; but the entire internet is infested with 'alternative facts' types now.
Homeopathy has about as much credence as climate change denial.

As far as I can see, none of the academics cited are climate scientists (what a surprise) and there's no clear indication even that they are really disputing the basic science of climate change.

It needs repeating that virtually all climate scientists (the people who actually *study* the climate) are entirely convinced that human emissions are the primary cause of climate change, and that any other causes are minor and taken account of in the models.

To put it in railway terms, if you were designing a steam locomotive, would you take advice from Nigel Gresley, or Florence Nightingale?

Anyhow, I've said my piece. I can't believe this counter-factual nonsense has penetrated railforums. I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw the thread title, I knew it would lead to this sort of thing.

On the contrary; your views are misplaced and the other members who are disagreeing with you are posting accurate information and come across very well, in my opinion.

I absolutely admire the calm, controlled manner at which you two dismantle the OPs argument.

I will admit I had a very violent emotional reaction to the premise of this thread, to me the fact we are in a natural warming period HOWEVER that has been accelerated by manmade carbon emissions is as plain as the nose on my face. The amount of scientific evidence for this overwhelming. No matter what Trump, the tabloid rubbish including the maily fail and various other items of political excrement say.

Status
Not open for further replies.