• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Clinton Cards goes into administation

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I suppose this is something that has entered the realms of "tradition". Does anyone really care anymore as to the "real meaning of Christmas" rather than the event it is now used for by the retail industry.

I try to avoid both, to be honest. :roll: No need to buy things in December when prices are rock bottom in January and July.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aspierail

Disappointed to see Clinton Cards go into administration however Card Factory sells cards at a better value and internet sites like moonpig or funkypigeon are handy as well.

SS4

Established Member
I suppose this is something that has entered the realms of "tradition". Does anyone really care anymore as to the "real meaning of Christmas" rather than the event it is now bombarded upon everyone by the retail industry.

FTFY.
I don't have figures but I do believe there are a fair number of people who celebrate Christmas with the appropriate religious ceremony and there are a number of other people who'd gladly have nothing to do with it [Christmas] if they were afforded the opportunity. Sadly, societal and familial pressure virtually dictate that gifts and/or cards must be given in order to not be a social pariah.

edit; It should go without saying that like ALR I could manage just fine much better if Christmas were struck off the calendar

jon0844

Veteran Member
Why is anyone sad to see Clinton Cards go into administration if it was a (legal) way of writing off debts. Chances are we'll see the stores remain open under new ownership, with the same stock and the same sky high prices - but the suppliers to the store seriously out of pocket.

Yew

Established Member
I try to avoid both, to be honest. :roll: No need to buy things in December when prices are rock bottom in January and July.

A friend of mine said his family did christmas a month late, to cash in on the january sales :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Sounds like a perfectly good idea for anyone that isn't religious!

richw

Veteran Member
I always use moonpig, cheaper than clintons and customised. Should imagine i am not the only one doing this.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The last few cards I've bought has been from there too. Much quicker to choose a card from home than have to go into town. Maybe a little more expensive with postage taken into account (if you're going to send the card to yourself to give to someone in person) but given you can send the card straight to the recipient - it's often a LOT more convenient as it saves the trip to the post box.

Perhaps Clinton Cards should have set up its own version of moonpig, or bought the company? (I say this without knowing if they have/had any shares in moonpig, funky pigeon or any other the others - if there are any others).

SS4

Established Member
I refuse to use moonpig after their ad treated the Birmingham accent with not one iota of respect

Bungle73

On Moderation
Those services are not very personal though are they, and a touch lazy to boot.

I refuse to use moonpig after their ad treated the Birmingham accent with not one iota of respect

Which ad?

SS4

Established Member
Those services are not very personal though are they, and a touch lazy to boot.

Which ad?

The one where (the pig?) says "moon pig offers a mind-boggling selection of cards". Although it's the bit the pig says later after it

gswindale

On the few occasions I've used moonpig, the service has been more personal than it would have been had I gone down Clintons.

Made sure I got a card with what I wanted (Mothering Sunday rather than Mother's Day) on it.

richw

Veteran Member
On the few occasions I've used moonpig, the service has been more personal than it would have been had I gone down Clintons.

Made sure I got a card with what I wanted (Mothering Sunday rather than Mother's Day) on it.

Indeed customisable 100%. My girls call my dad papa but clintons don't do cards to nan and papa. There was another relation that we couldn't get an appropriate pre-fab card neither. Can't remember what,

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Bungle73

On Moderation
But card printed off with thousands of others in a factory isn't as personal as one you've hand written yourself. Which would you rather receive?

richw

Veteran Member
A personalised card to my spec, delivered to me so I can write it and pass on personally. So the stuff that will be ready printed in a card from clintons ready printed, but not the bit would normally handwrite.
That to me is far more personal.
An example, I had a card done for my mum from my girls, with pictures of my girls on the front, inside just said happy birthday. We then helped my girls write to their nanny themselves inside when the card was delivered to me. Out of all the cards my mum received for her birthday in January that is the only card she has kept.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've printed many cards at home, but my printer has problems feeding paper (and forget card) so Moonpig fits the bill. Much as like doing my own design work, it's a case of finding the time.

Mind you, when you leave things until it's too late to order online, printing at home suddenly becomes the only option!

Status
Not open for further replies.