• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Line From Bescot Junction to Walsall Reopening

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSL1990

Just thought I'd make a thread on the latest goings on the South Staffordshire Line between Stourbridge and Walsall. The stretch of track north of the M6 at Bescot Junction (including the Bescot Curve) to Walsall is currently being reopened!

Coal trains for Rugeley Power station will use the stretch of track in order to avoid using Bescot Yard. Engineers are currently clearing the vast amount of vegetation from the track, and resignalling work is being carried out.

The new signals - http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/JagStype/picture1620.jpg

A video of diggers building a ramp to access the railway - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzPcalNsqqA

Resignalling is expected to be completed in 2013.

It's certainly a step forward to getting the whole of the line reopened between Stourbridge and Walsall.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Part of the Walsall re-signalling, due August 2013. Don't get your hopes up about the rest of it yet, that is a long way off, if at all. The new run round loop will remove some headaches when planning that area.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Those look like rather heavyweight signal gantries... is there any particular reason they are not using those really lightweight LED signal masts that are mentioned here occasionally?

38Cto15E

I used to work the Corby-Spring Vale which went over the Princess End branch, I guess that was part of the same track, too many years ago for me to remember.:lol:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Can somebody explain to me what route these coal trains will take at Bescot on the newly opened track ?

The Planner

Veteran Member
If coming from Rugeley or Park Lane, through Walsall to Pleck Jn then into the run round loop on the old Dudley line. Thats about the most descriptive you can get !

the sniper

Established Member
Is this just to avoid capacity issues between Walsall and Bescot Stadium then? I don't imagine it's because of a lack of capacity in Bescot yard...

Rugd1022

Is this just to avoid capacity issues between Walsall and Bescot Stadium then? I don't imagine it's because of a lack of capacity in Bescot yard...

The lack of staff at Bescot Yard might be more of a problem... every time I work a train there it seems there's only one Shunter on duty to cover the north and south ends.

Johnuk123

Established Member
If coming from Rugeley or Park Lane, through Walsall to Pleck Jn then into the run round loop on the old Dudley line. Thats about the most descriptive you can get !

I don't want to be a pain but where are the empty coal trains going back to ?

Why do they have to be run round ?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Rugeley trains tend to end up at Barrow Hill, Chaddesdon, sometimes Daw Mill and elsewhere. There is no way to reach these destinations/origins without using the Sutton Park line so a run round is required. It will stop them conflicting with Walsall/Chase trains when they currently run round on the Up Goods or Up and Down Goods at Bescot. They don't go into Bescot Yard as they are green trains and not red.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Rugeley trains tend to end up at Barrow Hill, Chaddesdon, sometimes Daw Mill and elsewhere. There is no way to reach these destinations/origins without using the Sutton Park line so a run round is required. It will stop them conflicting with Walsall/Chase trains when they currently run round on the Up Goods or Up and Down Goods at Bescot. They don't go into Bescot Yard as they are green trains and not red.

Ah it all becomes clear now, I had no idea they had to use the Sutton Park line that explains it.

The cost of it all must be worthwhile, thanks for your concise explanation.

Established Member
Those look like rather heavyweight signal gantries... is there any particular reason they are not using those really lightweight LED signal masts that are mentioned here occasionally?

Probably realised how ugly they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.