• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closed Stations Journey quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
That was in a branch off the mainline, so is not on the line we are currently travelling down

DerekC

Established Member
Netherhope Halt

I have a GWR framed notice with the bell codes for the telephone circuit on this line on the wall in front of me. I notice that Netherhope doesn't feature - maybe it didn't have a phone.

Calthrop

Established Member
I quite forgot Tintern -- only the most important intermediate place on the line ! Boy, go and learn the whole of Wordsworth's poem "Tintern Abbey", and recite it to me word-perfect this evening...

St. Briavels

DerekC

Established Member
Was Tintern Quarry Siding situated on the main running line of the Wye Valley Railway or on the branch line that led into the quarry?

I can't find any map evidence either way. If it was on the main line it must have been just south of the tunnel, at the branch junction - but there is nothing to indlcate it. Yet did the GWR really run a passenger service onto the wireworks/quarry branch?

Redbrook on Wye

Calthrop

Established Member
Was Tintern Quarry Siding situated on the main running line of the Wye Valley Railway or on the branch line that led into the quarry?

I can't find any map evidence either way. If it was on the main line it must have been just south of the tunnel, at the branch junction - but there is nothing to indlcate it. Yet did the GWR really run a passenger service onto the wireworks/quarry branch?

I got Tintern Quarry Siding from The Book That Shall Not Be Named (Dewick's Complete Atlas of Railway Station Names), which does seem to show the halt as on the WVR through line; but it's on a fairly small scale, and is definitely not inerrant or infallible.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Matters after further research has been made into the above matter.

What to bear in mind in cases such as this is this was not a "passenger service" under the normal understanding of that terminology, but a special service solely for the workers of the quarry, which may well have been operationally useful in removing loaded waggons of stone after the workers had been disembarked. In South Wales, whilst many colliery halts were situated on main running lines, there were also a good number to such halts that were situated on the branch lines, especially if that branch line to a colliery was of quite some length, thus saving the miners a long walk to the colliery itself. I had noticed the wireworks branch, but have a feeling that only goods inwards and outwards were the only train usage on that particular branch

If at any time a definite ruling is made, with clear documentary proof that it was actually situated on the main running line, then I will consider this to be acceptable as a posting entry, but until such proof is forthcoming, I cannot allow it.

Have a look at Rule 12 in the rules, which does cover the fact that if any station of this type is actually on the main running line of a railway and not situated on a branch.

Last edited: